Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hello from Huddersfield - car parking ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I would park at the NCP very near to Haywards Heath Station (£2.50 on a Saturday) and get the train via Lewes or park at either near where I stayed overnight or even near St Peters Church or at B & Q at the old Preston Barracks, I think it is a 3 hour parking limit but a private car park so unenforceable, and get back into Brighton and out again.

I have parked at Claire Hall in h Heath before, although it was rammed the other week due to some Xmas thing. Also down by the fire station on street is ok, says 4 hour limit between 9 and 6 I think, so get there around 1pm and should be ok. Have never seen a warden down that part of town ever !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have parked at Claire Hall in h Heath before, although it was rammed the other week due to some Xmas thing. Also down by the fire station on street is ok, says 4 hour limit between 9 and 6 I think, so get there around 1pm and should be ok. Have never seen a warden down that part of town ever !

Yes I have in fact I even saw one last week in Farlington Close as he said residents had complained. At the end of the road opposite Clair Hall is the NCP which is very cheap on Saturdays, 32.50 I think pay and display.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes I have in fact I even saw one last week in Farlington Close as he said residents had complained. At the end of the road opposite Clair Hall is the NCP which is very cheap on Saturdays, 32.50 I think pay and display.

£32.50 is a bargain!!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was actually quite surprised how quickly I got away after using the Cockcroft car park for the Leicester game. I didn't rush after the final whistle, but managed to get the last bus on the first round and drove straight out of the car park from the far end without any holdups at all. In fact, my wife and her dad were on the next bus and I had to wait about 5 minutes for them outside Mithras House!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I would park your car by the swann on the friday night, then get the train/bus/taxi from Falmer to Brighton, the car will be fine up by the swann and will save you the hassle of parking in town. you can then walk across the bridge after the game and Zoom straight out.

dewsburyborn

Dec 17, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - very helpful ( and not one suggestion like those little boys from Millwall came up with when I asked the same question.......)

I think driving up the Hayward's Heath and training in via Lewes looks like the winner.

So the match ticket includes train travel - my next question is : having to change trains at Lewes, can we walk out the station there ? - and if so, is there a real ale pub anywhere close where we can go have a couple before getting back on a train to Falmer ?

Thanks

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Come out of Lewes Station turn left 400 - 600 yards down the road is a pub with real ale on your right cant remember the name but went in there for my 70th birthday a few weeks back,only about 2 mins walk the last train from Lewes to the ground in time for kick off is about 2.25.

If parking at Haywards Heath set sat nav for Clair Rd or simple go past station on your right to round about turn right up Perrymount Rd and Clair Rd is the 1st on the right. There is a car park right on the roundabout but it is a lot dearer.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - very helpful ( and not one suggestion like those little boys from Millwall came up with when I asked the same question.......)

I think driving up the Hayward's Heath and training in via Lewes looks like the winner.

So the match ticket includes train travel - my next question is : having to change trains at Lewes, can we walk out the station there ? - and if so, is there a real ale pub anywhere close where we can go have a couple before getting back on a train to Falmer ?

Thanks

If you return to HH via Lewes, bear in mind that trains run at 20 past and 50 past the hour. Therefore, unless you leave 5 mins early, the earliest train you'll get from Lewes is at 17-50 and you won't get to HH until 18-05.

You could go via Brighton and get a London bound train at 17-35 - I've managed this a couple of times without leaving early - but it'll still be tight and you won't get to HH until almost 6.

Bear in mind that it'll still take you about 15-20 mins to get to the Bolney junction on the A23 from HH station, where as you can reach the same junction of the A23 from mill road in 15 mins. Given that P+R busses are behind the away end (the opposite end to the rail station), you'll probably be back at your car by 5-30.

Conclusion: use Mill Road park and ride.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Park at Lewes Station car park, only a £5. Real ale pubs within 5 mins walk. Train is a 9 minute journey, 1 stop and if you leave on the final whistle, you should
be at Lewes by 5-30 at the latest.
If you park at H/Heath, you have to change trains and lines, plus you may miss a connection.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
You could park at the top of Woodingdean and walk as there is a dedicated path now. It is a 30 minute walk though.

dewsburyborn

Dec 17, 2013
Park at Lewes Station car park, only a £5. Real ale pubs within 5 mins walk. Train is a 9 minute journey, 1 stop and if you leave on the final whistle, you should
be at Lewes by 5-30 at the latest.
If you park at H/Heath, you have to change trains and lines, plus you may miss a connection.

Is that A22 a decent road back up to the M25 ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is that A22 a decent road back up to the M25 ?

No terrible single road all the way.

Despite the scare mongers on here my advice is park at Haywards Heath and then go via Staplefield to join the M23 at either Handcross or Peas Pottage Services, as in fact all taxi drivers do from HH to Gatwick nobody goes via Bolney as it takes too long and means going through the road works at 40mph for which they are very strict. Going to Handcross or Peas Pottage misses that all out and takes the same time as going via Bolney but you are 6 or 7 miles further north.

Leaving at the final whistl and going by train to Lewes you will be on the M25 between 6.30 - 6.45

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Best route would be going back onto the A27 (back past the Amex) along to the A23 then up North from there - unless you fancy a long and winding route to the A23 from Lewes all through some back roads.

So probably best to park at Mill Road then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here