Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Head Count - Did you attend the 1983 FA Cup Semi Final v Sheff Wed?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes. I was living in Turnpike Lane at the time and walked to Highbury. As the Wednesday fans were congregating in the Finsbury Park area all I saw was Wednesday as I approached Highbury until I met an ocean of Albion fans heading from the direction of Islington. My biggest memory of the game was a feeling of extreme nausea when they equalisd, that the last 5 minutes seemed to last forever and an undescribable release of pressure when the final whistle blew. The occasion seemed much more tense than the final itself.
After the game I have a really clear recollection of seeing 2 Wednesday fans sitting on a wall by Finsbury Park crying their eyes out, and feeling really sorry for them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
yes

every game inb the cup run including newcastle away

(was)DBS

Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
me to clock end what a day, what a freekick:clap2:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Me too - only game I missed was the Newcastle replay.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Yes I was there in the Clock End with my dad, was standing right at the back on my box but still could only see the edge of the 18 yard box to the north bank. Saw Case hit it but never saw it go in until I got home and watched Match of the day.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I was there with 2 coachloads from the Red Lion Pub, Turners Hill (thanks Pete) and I was last in the ground 'cos my mates missus went for a pee in the ladies and everyone else went off and left her - me being the gentleman waited for her.

We stood behind the Arsenal Band which put us right in line with Sir Case when he hit that free kick - fantastic day !!

Then back to the Red Lion.

I was at every round except Newcastle - and I went into hospital between the 2 finals for a knee op.

:drink: :clap2:

Heathfield Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Heathfield
Brixton Seagull 2 said:
I was there. Right at the fromt by the corner flag, as I was too small to be able to see anything from the rest of the terrace. Super view though of Jimmy's free-kick, and a memorable bus ride all the way home to Btn on the Seagull Special. Magic.

we may well have stood next to each other as I ended up by the corner flag.

Unless of course we were at opposites sides of the ground!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yep first game I went to without my little wooden box to stand on. Thank goodness - there'd have been no room for it. Could only see the far end of the pitch and top corner of near goal - but that's just where Jimmy plonked the ball. Lovely.

:clap:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
..of course..

just a wee 13 year old nipper, but went with dad and standing on my little set of steps for vision..nearly ended up 15 rows farther down on the pitch after JC's rocket..
Saw all home games up to then but never made the final(s)

Can't see how this happened, but anyone else remember the train home, and Chelsea fans cheering/waving as we went past Stamford bridge...?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was there, time stood still as Tony Grealish rolled the ball to Casey and it headed straight towards us and curled out of the keeper's reach and into the back of the net.

I remember when Wednesday equalised and seemed to have the upper hand in the second half, so Fozzie started getting stroppy with the (admittedly quiet) Albion fans and imploring them to make some noise

A wonderful, wonderful day

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
i was just under 2 months old for the cup final so i must have only been a month so no i wasn't there

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
One of the best days, if not the best, in supporting the Albion. I was there in the middle of the Clock End with what must have been close to 20,000 Brighton fans. It was a boiling hot day if I remember correctly. I had a great view of Jimmy's free kick but don' remember too much about the second half only that it seemed to be going their way until we scored. Couldn't really see that well for the winner. What a day.

Will we ever get to another semi-final again?

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Yes, I was there. Fantastic, and the Wednesday fans were brilliant even in defeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here