Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
For those who still refuse to turn the heating, how are you staying warm because its freezing (nearly) outside here and has been all week.
Bought really thick, fleece onesies each, alpaca socks (incredibly toasty!) and an electric blanket with body/foot zones. Use an eco heater when required in the bathroom and the kitchen takes care of itself, when cooking (gas cooker).
Our bills are only £10 more than November last year, but we'll see how it goes if it 'really' gets cold, in the next few months.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Cheshire Cat.
What’s an eco heater?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bought really thick, fleece onesies each, alpaca socks (incredibly toasty!) and an electric blanket with body/foot zones. Use an eco heater when required in the bathroom and the kitchen takes care of itself, when cooking (gas cooker).
Our bills are only £10 more than November last year, but we'll see how it goes if it 'really' gets cold, in the next few months.
They are super warm, but don’t you find that the toes get caught on furniture?

4A8C96AE-AAAD-4F57-8538-53F1F754264B.png

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I lost the argument last weekend.
Now deep into the p*ssing through heat (and by extension money) on a daily basis stage.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I have a gas aga which has been on a lowish heat for 3 weeks. Turned heating on yesterday as daughter brought new boyfriend home to stay for the weekend. They're out tonight so heating off again. It's a barmy 18 C here now!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have a gas aga which has been on a lowish heat for 3 weeks. Turned heating on yesterday as daughter brought new boyfriend home to stay for the weekend. They're out tonight so heating off again. It's a barmy 18 C here now!
Literally as they drove off, the thermostat was whipped down.

Sounds like my Dad.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I have now set the programmer to on, so if the thermostat detects a temperature drop to less than 16 C tonight it can fire the boiler... though I'm not sure if it will go off tbh!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Heard my heating go 'on' around 4am today.. looked on phone (thinking the kids have worked out how to bypass the lock on Wiser TRV..) and see that 'reduced/target temp' of 14 had been hit and that triggered boiler.. It's now down to 12..

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I retrieved an old plug in oil filled radiator from storage but the poxy thing keeps tripping the electrics.

I'm gonna search for an electric onesie to save me from freezing to death while WFH.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I have six storage heaters and only have 3 on at any one time, the combined gas and electricity charges are about £6 a day this month as the temps have dropped. Its cold most of the time in the house, we sit around in blankets in the evening and its my job to 'karcher' the windows of condensation every morning. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
investing in a couple of birthofanoranges eco heaters might heat things up a bit

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Heard my heating go 'on' around 4am today.. looked on phone (thinking the kids have worked out how to bypass the lock on Wiser TRV..) and see that 'reduced/target temp' of 14 had been hit and that triggered boiler.. It's now down to 12..
Similar here - the overnight Hive thermostat temperature was set at 13 degrees which it hit at 5:11am.

Our boiler can't seem to cope with heating water AND heating the house at the same time so, with the hot water scheduled to run from 5:30-6:00, there was only luke warm water for Mrs B's shower this morning, which she was absolutely delighted with.

We were out all afternoon so I pushed back the heating from kicking to 5:15 from the usual 3:30. Hive says it was exactly 12 degrees when it started doing its thing. It's o the slow grind up, currently 15.7 degrees, but it feels warm according to Mrs B who feels the cold a lot more than I do. I think it comes back to something I said on here a few days back: if the heating is on and has been for a while it can feel warmer than when Hive reports a higher temperature but the heating has been off for a while.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here