Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Has anyone used these?

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
I'm seriously considering putting on some longer socks...

Attachments

• D0B76C4C-CC41-488C-A688-7A30F01D49BF.jpeg
    D0B76C4C-CC41-488C-A688-7A30F01D49BF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Has anyone used these?

No - but we bought a stove-top fan recently. I honestly can't tell whether it makes a difference or not!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Has anyone used these?

They do work well - Think the guys at Heat Geek did a test on it a while ago. Notice all sold out..!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They do work well - Think the guys at Heat Geek did a test on it a while ago. Notice all sold out..!
I'd not heard of them before, but the theory makes sense to me.

I can find quite a few reviews, but I'm not sure how many to trust as most seem to be quite small sites who may just be looking to earn affiliate income from their write-ups.

Amazon seem to have stock of all pack types for immediate delivery - https://amzn.to/3UGKmsz

I'm tempted to give them a go in our coldest room.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ideal weather for fine-tuning the balance of the radiators and attempting to improve the efficiency of the boiler by lowering the target flow temperature...

Because they weren't, and it wasn't (still at the factory 75 C). No point in having a condensing boiler if it isn't.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Ideal weather for fine-tuning the balance of the radiators and attempting to improve the efficiency of the boiler by lowering the target flow temperature...

Because they weren't, and it wasn't (still at the factory 75 C). No point in having a condensing boiler if it isn't.
What target flow temperature would you recommend?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
What target flow temperature would you recommend?
I'm not a heating engineer so probably not the person to ask, though from what I've read for a condensing boiler to work, and where the radiators are properly balanced, the flow temperature when it returns back into the boiler should be about 45 C. My target flow temperature (out of the boiler) is 65 C at the moment, and my radiators still aren't quite in balance, so it is a touch cold in the study at the moment!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I can find quite a few reviews, but I'm not sure how many to trust as most seem to be quite small sites who may just be looking to earn affiliate income from their write-ups.

Amazon seem to have stock of all pack types for immediate delivery - https://amzn.to/3UGKmsz

Likewise tempted to try…I’d seen they were available on Amazon ..not cheap

Came across them when watching this

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I assume their impact is dependent on how much air leakage you have in said room and how big it is. A smaller room that has a trickle vent or feels a bit draughty is presumably going to have enough air movement for convection to occur without assistance. A bigger living room like in Lamie's video where there isn't any ventilation, and perhaps only 1 rad, then can see them having a bigger impact.

If you weren't concerned with aesthetic appearance and could rig something DIY, then some computer fans would work just as well at a fraction of the cost? Amazon product

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It has been bloody cold these last couple of nights. By happy coincidence I had thermostatic valves fitted to all radiators by one of NSC's finest three days ago.

As in so many things, timing is crucial :wink:

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Thermostat reading got down to 12.5C today, our new home record! And to think only a year ago, I would feel cold at 16C. Last night's radiator heat only took the temperature up to 16. Just had to get used to wearing more clothes and a scarf 😁

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Just got back from 3 weeks in the sun with no TV, mobile phone, or tablets and had an amazing time relaxing and re-charging the batteries with no World Cup football either. Probably the niceest 3 weeks I've had away from the 'tech'.

But, blimey the house was cold when we got in earlier. Have had to succumb to putting it on this evening for the first time. A slight change in temperature from Egypt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I put my newly-installed heaters on 24 hour FROST (permafrost?) mode before I departed for warmer climes last monday. Be interesting to see what they've done while I've been away. Not very much I suspect on account of thick stone walls and dubious loft insulation that consists almost entirely of historical strata of squirrel shit :down:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
5F0519DF-79CC-4BB7-A116-159786942361.png
I put my newly-installed heaters on 24 hour FROST (permafrost?) mode before I departed for warmer climes last monday. Be interesting to see what they've done while I've been away. Not very much I suspect on account of thick stone walls and dubious loft insulation that consists almost entirely of historical strata of squirrel shit.
They may’ve been too effective, contents insurance should cover it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I spent nearly 5 hours in the garage tinkering with Lambrettas today.
Electric heater on flat out The whole time
Lifes too short

breaks into cold sweat thinking about meter reading 😬

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I would break into a hot sweat if I were you. It's cheaper.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Likewise tempted to try…I’d seen they were available on Amazon ..not cheap

Came across them when watching this

At £50 to £100 a pack, they would have to save an awful lot of gas to be worth it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This might have to become the “Have You Turned The Heating OFF yet? thread.

Absolutely brass

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here