[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This might have to become the “Have You Turned The Heating OFF yet? thread.

Absolutely brass
Too right.

I's f***ing baltic indoors here. I keep checking there is not an open window somewhere. Having a colder than average start to December after a mild November doesn't help.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Too right.

I's f***ing baltic indoors here. I keep checking there is not an open window somewhere. Having a colder than average start to December after a mild November doesn't help.
Yup - we keep asking each other if the heating is on. It always is.

Think we might need some new windows.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Have you put the heating on yet? Too f*ck*n' right I have! - thermostat set pretty low though, and relying on several layers to limit the need for more heat.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How much gas are people using on these chilly days?

Over the last week, we've averaged 125kWh per day, with a high of 142kWh on Saturday, although I expect today will exceed that by the time we're done.

For that we get c6.5 hours of heating and 45 minutes of hot water per day.

Frankly, it feels like we could do it with on more - I'm home all day and it's not on from 8am - 3:30pm - but it's costing so much I'm resisting it.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Over the last week, we've averaged 125kWh per day, with a high of 142kWh on Saturday, although I expect today will exceed that by the time we're done.

Frankly, it feels like we could do it with on more - I'm home all day and it's not on from 8am - 3:30pm - but it's costing so much I'm resisting it.
Just read this so went and turned the heating off, nabbing a chocolate biscuit on the way back from the kitchen. Is this what’s known as a false economy?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In a week should be all over, the sooner we wind and rain back the better
With the UK’s leaky housing stock, very few houses have any decent air tightness.

We’ve done the best we can with insulation left, right and centre, for a 1941 house.

But it feels colder on a windy ‘mild’ winter’s day, than a frosty still air day.

I’ve spoken with developers/architects who’ve outlined the aforementioned as the big overlooked issue for our particular windy climate and homes.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Still haven’t bought any oil for central heating so far had a small ele heater in the bathroom and wood burner in the living room. Living in a bungalow the log burner warms the whole place up. The wood is free as well.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Interesting - must be costing a fair bit. We’ve used 670kwh month to date, which is approx 50kwh per day. Only two of us in the house, but we both work from home. In years gone by we’d have the heating on all day and hardly think anything of it. Now we have a blast for about an hour in the morning, an hour around lunchtime, and then a couple of hours in the evening - but we do supplement that with a wood-burner in the living room from around 6pm….I guess if I could measure the energy from burning the logs it may be similar to your usage.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

In a modern house, gas central heating, water and hob.

Have been roughly 50-70 kWh/day through November and early December. Up to 80-100 kWh over the last few days with the extra heating.

Discovered earlier today that my wife had put the thermostats up to 21 - I've put them back down to 20... temperature drops to about 17 overnight unheated. Small child in the house so we can't safely drop much lower than that.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

We are averaging 72 kWh/day in gas for approximately 7 hours heating per day (higher than usual with my wife working from home and a shower each from a combi boiler so we just pay for what we use. There are only two of us.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I put the heating on 4 weeks ago, since then I've averaged 69kw/day. 2 zones at 16.5c, 1 zone at 19c. 2 hours AM, then 5 hours PM

I suspect been close to 100kw/day over the last week, the mean temp outside has been below 0c. Combined energy bill for last 30 days around £300.

My kids insist on having a long bath every night, dunno what is costs but must be a couple of quid a shot

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

We are averaging just under 100kwh per day on gas over last week, two of us with a combi boiler and all electric for cooking. We are at home most day so the heating is on a lot but generally with a target temp of 17/18 degrees and we have dual zone so its not on nearly as much upstairs. What I struggle with is that this is a 12 year old house, albeit large, but it doesn’t retain heat. Overnight the temp downstairs will drop to 11 degrees for example. I think the problem is a large hallway which extends to the top of the three storeys and a large kitchen diner which only has one rad in it, not the most sensible design.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Put the heating on for an hour on Sunday.
Checked smart meter. Checked again 1.5hrs later. Cost £2.70.
Turned off the heating 😢

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Think ours is similar, although I had a high of 157kWh on Thursday, but that was largely due to not having set things a bit more rigidly. Across the weekend and into this week average looks close to 130.

When we renovated we put in UFH on 70mm PIR insulation between floor joists - that was a mistake. We did the calcs for it based on double glazing, and insulated walls, however come to realise that our getting old UPVC units leak air like an open window. Not the openers either, in fact they're easier to adjust and get tight, I think generally air is just getting around the fixed sealed units and through the frames. We have a bay window which you can feel the draughts. I'm tempted to get some really thin polythene, tape it around the windows and visually see the air pressure blowing the polythene out.

As someone mentioned above, air tightness is a massive issue in construction.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think ours is similar, although I had a high of 157kWh on Thursday, but that was largely due to not having set things a bit more rigidly. Across the weekend and into this week average looks close to 130.

When we renovated we put in UFH on 70mm PIR insulation between floor joists - that was a mistake. We did the calcs for it based on double glazing, and insulated walls, however come to realise that our getting old UPVC units leak air like an open window. Not the openers either, in fact they're easier to adjust and get tight, I think generally air is just getting around the fixed sealed units and through the frames. We have a bay window which you can feel the draughts. I'm tempted to get some really thin polythene, tape it around the windows and visually see the air pressure blowing the polythene out.

I didn't realise how good the latest argon filed double glazed windows are compared to those made in the 80's and 90's. In my house their thermal performance appears to be better than a 1960's wall that is has been cavity filled (i do wonder how well its been done)

Replacing windows and beefying up loft insulation to me seems a higher priority than say solar panels for electricity. For most people in the UK 80% of our energy use is from heating (often gas)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I didn't realise how good the latest argon filed double glazed windows are compared to those made in the 80's and 90's. In my house their thermal performance appears to be better than a 1960's wall that is has been cavity filled (i do wonder how well its been done)

Replacing windows and beefying up loft insulation to me seems a higher priority than say solar panels for electricity. For most people in the UK 80% of our energy use is from heating (often gas)
Along the same lines we are having shutters fitted in the large bay windows in our living room. The double glazing is good but it is something we have been talking about since we bought the house after reading about heat loss. Apparently they have arrived in the country and we are just waiting for a fitting date.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Electric only heating for us. Currently using around £15 worth a day. Double what it was before we turned it on. Very glad I have £700 in credit to prepare for this

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I've got cavity wall insulation booked in for the beginning of January and I was thinking about getting a window company around to take a look as I think we're in the same situation as you.

Our bedroom (at the front downstairs if you can remember your visit) is the coldest room in the house. My side of the bed is by the (also bay) window and I can feel cold air coming round the blinds every night.

I had read something that suggested that the window panes themselves being cold is a good indication of the windows working, but I'm not so sure. At my mum's house, which is always toasty warm for far less gas usage, her windows aren't freezing to the touch like ours are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports