Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Have you ever won a competition?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I gave up competitions after many unsuccessful attempts at the Spot the Ball competition in the Argus as a boy.
Oh, I used to do the pools when I was 16/17 with mum and dad, with their name on the coupon. The week I turned 18, 1986, I did the slip, messed it up, crossed the lines out and did it again then signed my name. Pools man said it looked fine and put it in. I/we won £464, nice [emoji3]

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I (and several others here) won a place in the first REMF team . . . . that was no mean achievement.

I will distance myself from the penalties. :rolleyes:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Champagne reception followed by trip on Concorde around the Bay of Biscay - with trip to flight deck !

Good one, definitely a memory created there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I won the Coldean Infant School Christmas Raffle in 1983. It was a food hamper presented in a plastic laundry basket.

I remember being gutted that I did not win the Junior School raffle as the prize was £50. A lot of money to a 6 year old in 1983.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
£50 would have been a useful amount to most people in 1983.

I won a 3 legged race on Shoreham beach sports day about 1980.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Won a couple of sailing-related competitions.

One in 2001, when I guessed the time Ellen MacArthur would cross the equator during the Vendée Globe race. I got a personal tour round her Kingfisher boat, plus some kit, which was cool.

Also won a Yachting World competition for a day’s sailing on an Americas Cup yacht, which was both brilliant and a little bit scary.

ALMOST won a fully inclusive trip for two to Berlin once, on a radio competition. It came down to a sudden death playoff question at the end of the week, and I was in Kuala Lumpur on work when they wanted to call me for the final, so I missed out. Gutted.

My worst competition winning story though is when I worked for a company in London that ran a ‘end of the year’ competition for its clients. There was a Finnish girl at one of our clients that I’d been pursuing for a bit, and I fixed it for her to win the top prize of flights for two to New York, and let her know that I had. My cunning plan being thatshe’d ask me to come with her. Sadly she took her sister instead. And damn it but I never did get anywhere with her...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Oh, I used to do the pools when I was 16/17 with mum and dad, with their name on the coupon. The week I turned 18, 1986, I did the slip, messed it up, crossed the lines out and did it again then signed my name. Pools man said it looked fine and put it in. I/we won £464, nice [emoji3]

Crikey,I forgot out the pools.The pools were a lot more fun than the lottery.i remember my nan and grandad winning a few times but not in our household.good fun checking the coupon as the results were read out on grandstand though.
Great result for you to get £464 a decent win in 1986 ,and what a decent chap your pools man was.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I won £750 on a TalkSport cash giveaway in 2007
2nd prize Withdean Wager of a tour
3rd prize Withdean Wager of a signed ball
Signed Euro 1992 England squad ball
A book from Danny Baker’s 5Live radio show in the mid 90s

And Joint winner of the 1988 Sports Personality of the Year at Portslade Community College

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Copy of Barry McGuigan's Boxing for the C64 from the Eastbourne Herald. Won the All 5 quiz on Southern Sound. Second place in a kids' painting competition but got the best prize (a set of pastels) for my use of colour. Outrage given how bad mine was and how good the winner was. Signed shirt and trip to the club Xmas Party amongst other things in whatever the old weekly draw thing was called,

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Crikey,I forgot out the pools.The pools were a lot more fun than the lottery.i remember my nan and grandad winning a few times but not in our household.good fun checking the coupon as the results were read out on grandstand though.
Great result for you to get £464 a decent win in 1986 ,and what a decent chap your pools man was.
Split between 3 of us, it was still nearly a months salary for me though!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Not a competition but I got the usual customer service satisfaction survey having bought a new phone from Carphone Warehouse. As I had received good service I filled it in and was entered into a draw for £200 which I duly won.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Won £250 meat voucher at a superb butchers in Westfield for Christmas two years ago
£4300 on Euromillions
£140 on spot the ball in the 80’s

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Won £250 meat voucher at a superb butchers in Westfield for Christmas two years ago
£4300 on Euromillions
£140 on spot the ball in the 80’s
Oh, that reminds me of another one. I took over a syndicate and the first month we got 5 numbers in, £1,150 between 5 of us. Gutted we were 1 number off the jackpot.

I think I might be a lucky so and so or unlucky, depending on how you look at it.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
I was regular winner in both Sack races as well as the 3 legged race with 44th Brighton Scouts & Cubs. More recently won a dubious Pineapple drinking mug as came second with my wife in a Salsa dancing competetion, which didn't end well as the Cuban judge took too much of a liking to me......

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
1) Private Eye Crossword a few years back (£100)
2) Dept of Transport Christmas Draw - Colour TV
3) Golf Society Stableford League 2018
4) The odd raffle prize (and 1 or 2 of them were very odd)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here