Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever applauded an opposition goal against the Albion?

I've always applauded when it has obviously been an outstanding piece of play by a player in a team that I don't hate and in a game where the outcome wasn't so important.

With all of those conditions its happened only about 15 times in 34 years watching us. The only one of those that really sticks in my mind was a long pile driver by an Oldham player at the goldstone in the late 80s or early 90s.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Two, both absolute belters in the East goal at at Withers. Andrew Crofts for Gillingham, and Ishmael Demontagnac for Walsall.

I remember applauding that Crofts goal without realising I was doing it and got a few dirty looks from the people around me. Totally deserved though, great volley.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I don't think I've ever clapped an opposition goal, at least not in a competitive fixture.. I will however nod my head in an impressed manor when it's deserved..

Frequently, including Fulham's goal against us up at Craven Cottage, does that make me weird?

This being one of them..

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Chris Eagles' goal for Watford at the Withdean. A fantastic strike from a couple of yards short of the half-way line. Very generously applauded by many Brighton fans.

That was the one I was going to mention... Amazing goal.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I was just about to post this and checked to see if anyone else had done the same thing. I clapped that hat trick - it was a very low point as we were so painfully bad and he was so much better than anyone we had playing (OGH got better in the Withdean years!).

Surprised about this - he was superb that day, but it was almost an all-time low point (0-4 against Darlington at Gillingham, FFS) and all I remember is everyone hating him because he was ex-Palace.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Only the once and that was the stuffing by Stoke on the last game of the season (1 - 5) and Adam Rooney got a hatrick against us

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I remember applauding Marco Gabbiadini when he got his hat-trick against us for Darlington.
I'm sure there have been other occasions.

That was my birthday and I was thoroughly miserable. He was a cut above that day but then most were compared to that shower of a team in the dark Gillingham days. (I'm still angry.)

On that note think I might have applauded a Trevor Benjamin finish against as there v Cambridge.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That was my birthday and I was thoroughly miserable. He was a cut above that day but then most were compared to that shower of a team in the dark Gillingham days. (I'm still angry.)

On that note think I might have applauded a Trevor Benjamin finish against as there v Cambridge.

Cut above? We looked like a pub team who'd wandered onto the pitch by mistake. Darlo were dire - they were near the bottom that season and relegated a year or two later - but we made them look good.

And thanks for jogging my memory, Trevor Benjamin was the guy I was trying to think of, a few posts earlier

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
have certainly uttered a 'bloody hell' in grudging acknowledgement at a fine goal

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Chris Eagles' goal for Watford at the Withdean. A fantastic strike from a couple of yards short of the half-way line. Very generously applauded by many Brighton fans.

yes fab goal really was, only goal of the game us 0= burnley 1:

D

Deleted User X18H

Still remember one evening, standing in the North Stand, singing "you'll never beat John Keeley , you'll never beat John Keeley" when all of a sudden a shot from a full 30 yards sails in. Oldham if I remember correctly. Could only stand there and clap it.

Keeley was inspired that night. That and a lazer guided missile were the only two of things that could of beaten him that night.

The Oldham goal is the one I remember . Thought it was around 1990. From at least 35 yards and in the afternoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here