Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever applauded an opposition goal against the Albion?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I remember John Sheriden getting applauded by much of the crowd when being substituted when Sheff Wednesday won 4-0 at the Goldstone. He absolutely ran the game that night..
They were simply better than us that night with Sheridan conducting the show. I didn't even mind losing to that.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Not sure if it counts but the 1-5 home humiliation by Stoke under McGhee 2006. We were already down so I thought **** it, might as well make the most of a terrible game. From their third onwards me and loads of others in H Block went sarcastically mental at every goal Stoke scored :laugh: Then when Loft scored a consolation their fans returned the favour by celebrating it like they'd won the Champions League. It was absolutely hilarious and Stokies went up a lot in my book from that day.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Is it my memory playing tricks, or did he keep hitting the crossbar for fun during the warmup?

My memory is usually pretty good but I can't quite recall that.
I remember Lineker warming up on his own - which apparently he always did- and he was subbed at half time.
Paul Stewart and Nayim played well, as did Peter O'Sullivan for us.
Pretty sure we gave some game time to a young David James also.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
My memory is usually pretty good but I can't quite recall that.
I remember Lineker warming up on his own - which apparently he always did- and he was subbed at half time.
Paul Stewart and Nayim played well, as did Peter O'Sullivan for us.
Pretty sure we gave some game time to a young David James also.

I'm more inclined to believe you than me!

I've just googled it and it turns out, Moseley had already had a testimonial for Cardiff barely two years earlier. There's a NSC thread or pub quiz question here somewhere...

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Sometimes I've muttered "good goal" to myself but never applause!

I won't stop short of admonishing our players after silly tackles, though.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
remember clapping a Carlisle goal one night at the Goldstone mid 80's

brilliant goal,long range effort,we won the game 6-1

most of the North Stand sarcastically started cheering the Bristol Rovers goals after about the 5th one I seem to recall

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can imagine myself applauding if Ashley scores against us for Burnley. Partly just to piss off the dickheads who booed their own player stepping up to take a penalty.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
No, never a goal. But I stood and clapped Murray when he was subbed off here last season (I think it was last seaon - all a blur these days). I probably wouldn't have bothered but I don't like seeing one of our ex players booed, especially when one who has always behaved with dignity. Pleasingly I was not alone in my stance.

Thank you. Maybe you'll be able to see him again next season, hopefully in the Prem.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Not sure if it counts but the 1-5 home humiliation by Stoke under McGhee 2006. We were already down so I thought **** it, might as well make the most of a terrible game. From their third onwards me and loads of others in H Block went sarcastically mental at every goal Stoke scored :laugh: Then when Loft scored a consolation their fans returned the favour by celebrating it like they'd won the Champions League. It was absolutely hilarious and Stokies went up a lot in my book from that day.

Where Loft now? I saw his brother play once for Rye and Iden against Seaford Town, he was pretty talented at that level.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Will always acknowledge decent opposition goals, even if I don't stand up and applaud.

I also remember a 'nearly' goal, when Craig Bellamy nearly broke the bar from about 40 yards in the Liverpool League Cup game.

Unbelievable strike that had the North Stand muttering in disbelief

I don't recall ever applauding an opposition goal but I have absolutely no qualms about doing so if it's something special and, when thinking of times I might/would have done, this was the example that popped into my head.

That he even thought to shoot was mildly insane, the force and near-perfect accuracy of the thing was on another level.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Can't recall clapping the opposition scoring against us, but the passions stirred when watching the Albion are much less generous to them than when I am watching Sussex play cricket, where I feel much more sportsmanlike and am happy to applaud good cricket played against us by whoever we're playing. It's just the different natures of the two sports and the different emotions they generate.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Two, both absolute belters in the East goal at at Withers. Andrew Crofts for Gillingham, and Ishmael Demontagnac for Walsall.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have applauded a goal if I considered it worthy but cannot remember many to quote but I do remember the one for Demontagnac for Walsall as being very good. another one was Fabian Delph at Withdean ran through most of our team after being allowed a free run by Glen Murray. Not sure if Delph actually scored it or not.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I remember applauding Marco Gabbiadini when he got his hat-trick against us for Darlington.
I'm sure there have been other occasions.

I was just about to post this and checked to see if anyone else had done the same thing. I clapped that hat trick - it was a very low point as we were so painfully bad and he was so much better than anyone we had playing (OGH got better in the Withdean years!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here