Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever applauded an opposition goal against the Albion?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For the fine quality of strike, the sheer unstoppable power, I had to take my hat off and applaud Dean Hammond's goal against us for Blackpool.

I have absolutely no recollection of that goal but I do remember one scored by Stephen Dobbie for Blackpool a couple of season's ago at the Amex. I may have applauded if I hadn't been so totally pissed off. It was a cracking goal though.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I have at least 3 times - however I have blanked them instantly from my memory so can't recall who.

My son aged 4 then, I remember happily clapping and cheering Rochdale scoring a penalty....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have absolutely no recollection of that goal
We were 4 nil up and running the show. Hammond dived to head it past Kuszczak, who had no chance. It didn't matter, we still won 6-1.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Yes. I remember a game at Withers, may have been Notts County, when they scored from a super volley. I certainly applauded, as did many others around me, in fact Pasty sitting next to me got to his feet and clapped if I remember correctly.

I remember that, some bald bloke from about 30 yards a i remember it? Superb goal. I didn't clap, but most of the South Stand did!

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Chris Eagles' goal for Watford at the Withdean. A fantastic strike from a couple of yards short of the half-way line. Very generously applauded by many Brighton fans.

Who was the goalkeeper in that game? I seem to remember he decided to come out of his area and head it straight to CE.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Quite a few in WSU applauded Barnsley's second goal two years ago when they beat us 2-1 on a cold Tuesday evening. I can't remember if Paddy McCourt scored the goal, but he certainly played a big part in creating the chance.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I don't remember ever doing this, not even when I was in amongst Spurs fans when Robbie Keane scored that cracker against us at White Hart Lane in the FA Cup in 2005.

My cover had already been blown by that point, when Richard Carpenter scored.

WHilst in the away end I did the opposite! This was the only time I remember clapping an oppo goal. It was a brilliant finish to be fair

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've applauded a few. One that sticks out in my mind is Ipswich away a few seasons back. We went 1-0 up after Vicente scored a peach of a goal from outside the area beating the keeper to put the ball in the top corner. Then a few minutes later, was it Jimmy Bullard (?) who did exactly the same with an even better effort. And then again a few minutes after that. All I could do was applaud and say 'fair play'.

Am I imagining it or did we also applaud an oppo player when he got subbed because he'd been so damned good? It would have been at Withdean around 2008 if my memory isn't playing tricks on me.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Will always acknowledge decent opposition goals, even if I don't stand up and applaud.

I also remember a 'nearly' goal, when Craig Bellamy nearly broke the bar from about 40 yards in the Liverpool League Cup game.

Unbelievable strike that had the North Stand muttering in disbelief

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Yes, often. In fact much more than I'd like too. Not rapturous understand, but polite with a courteous comment. I don't like it when we don't win, but this doesn't mean I can't appreciate skilful play by other teams. Besides I'm usually in company of much younger family members and we don't want to give them the impression that being unsporting is the way to go... In my defence, I know with some certainty that none of the above apply to Palarse. Our little ones also understand that too... :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've applauded a few. One that sticks out in my mind is Ipswich away a few seasons back. We went 1-0 up after Vicente scored a peach of a goal from outside the area beating the keeper to put the ball in the top corner. Then a few minutes later, was it Jimmy Bullard (?) who did exactly the same with an even better effort. And then again a few minutes after that. All I could do was applaud and say 'fair play'.

Am I imagining it or did we also applaud an oppo player when he got subbed because he'd been so damned good? It would have been at Withdean around 2008 if my memory isn't playing tricks on me.

It was Michael Chopra at Ipswich.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Wouldn't even cross my mind to applaud the opposition.. I can appreciate quality play from other teams as a football fan but would never applaud a goal from a team that's playing against Albion.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I admit to quietly applauding the Russell Martin screamer against us last season at Carrow Road, just a sweetly executed effort that he really connected with. Could easily have sliced it into Row Z, so worth admiring for the skill. I recall wondering what would happen if one of our CBs (Greer......?) ever had a similar chance..........

Anyway we were sat among the home fans........and had just enjoyed overhearing them acknowledging our opening goal by Bruno.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here