Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever applauded an opposition goal against the Albion?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Chris Eagles' goal for Watford at the Withdean. A fantastic strike from a couple of yards short of the half-way line. Very generously applauded by many Brighton fans.

About to post about that goal. The only time I can recall applauding an opposition goal.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I remember applauding Marco Gabbiadini when he got his hat-trick against us for Darlington.
I'm sure there have been other occasions.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
When i was at college in Sth london I always used to watch the Albion with friends when they were laying locally. Said friends were Millwall fans and we used to stand on the terrace opposite the main stand at the old Cold Blow Lane surrounded by some of Milwall's finest. Suffice to say I always found the odd Albion goal rather difficult to celebrate, maybe a discreet smile or a gently slap of my thigh with my hand in my pocket (though I had to be careful with this "celebration" as it may have looked as though I was doing something else entirely and, in that company, would not have been well received) and I am ashamed to say, on occassion, I politely clapped a Millwall goal. More a question of getting out of the ground alive really.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
No never, as grumpy as that sounds, I was angry and flabbergasted at my mate next to me in WSU when he applauded one of those number of long range 'flukes' we conceded in the 1st few seasons of the Amex......sheesh.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I don't remember ever doing this, not even when I was in amongst Spurs fans when Robbie Keane scored that cracker against us at White Hart Lane in the FA Cup in 2005.

My cover had already been blown by that point, when Richard Carpenter scored.

That was one of the best goals I've ever seen. Keane was brilliant that day. I'm not sure whether we applauded that goal, bt there were certainly a lot people round me saying "fair play", and if we were going to lose to premier league oppo you couldn't argue with goals like that.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Gazza hit a free kick one down the South Stand end in Moseley's Testimonial had me acting like a demented seal . Most of the North even applauded.

In competitive games, cannot recall one as I might usually be looking for the guilty party.

I know that Moseley game was only a friendly, but Gascoigne was immense the whole game. It was just 2 months before the start of Italia 90.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A few times: the Eagles goal, a couple at the Goldstone: a long-range effort from Bournemouth (Brooks?) and a fantastic team goal from Norwich finished by Kevin Reeves. There was a beauty at Priestfield too, scored by a player we subsequently signed, whose name I've forgotten (Benjamin?). Not too many in 48 years really

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I know that Moseley game was only a friendly, but Gascoigne was immense the whole game. It was just 2 months before the start of Italia 90.

Aside from Gazza running the show, I remember Lineker having a laugh with the North as they chanted 'What a waste of money' since he had just arrived at Spurs from Barca.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I remember applauding Marco Gabbiadini when he got his hat-trick against us for Darlington.
I'm sure there have been other occasions.

Beat me to it,

Gaabbiadini for Darlington whilst we were playing at Gillingham.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Very very rarely. The only one that sticks in my mind was at the Goldstone against Oldham and they scored what at the time looked like a worldy 40 yarder. No idea who it was but finished up 1-1.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Very very rarely. The only one that sticks in my mind was at the Goldstone against Oldham and they scored what at the time looked like a worldy 40 yarder. No idea who it was but finished up 1-1.

That one, you got there just before me.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Still remember one evening, standing in the North Stand, singing "you'll never beat John Keeley , you'll never beat John Keeley" when all of a sudden a shot from a full 30 yards sails in. Oldham if I remember correctly. Could only stand there and clap it.

Keeley was inspired that night. That and a lazer guided missile were the only two of things that could of beaten him that night.

I was going to say that one. Nick Henry I believe c:1990.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
Don't remember the goals, but do remember applauding Gary Hooper off the pitch at Withdean for Scunthorpe after he scored a hat trick. Great performance.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There was plenty of ironic cheering and clapping for Stoke's five goals in the last game of the season in 2006. We lost 5-1 and it was such a dismal game, that cheering their goals was just gallows humour.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here