Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have Man United GONE ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A Guardian journo was on TalkSpite, Keys and Grey.

He was asked by on of the narrow minded bigots:-

Do Shaktar have a chance against the awesome power of the mighty Man Utd from the greatest league in the world?
(or words to that effect)

The stunned journo paused thought about it before replying, eerrr ****nuts you've got that the wrong way round, you myopic goons.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A well deserved bounce...

Man U a goal down and looking clueless apart from shots from distance. Stoke could have 3 !

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I'd like to see them relegated to be honest. The have so many mediocre players and have been riding their luck of late. Van penis last season won them the title.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
1-1 rvp

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
1-2 :thumbsup:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Having watched a few Man United games this season, I think the really noticeable thing is that teams are having more possession than them in matches this season, including at Old Trafford. I watched the match they played against Southampton last weekend and much of the final half hour of the match was played in United's defensive half where Southampton's pressing game was penning them back. That didn't happen very often under Ferguson's watch.

I think the area of the team that is really faltering is midfield. It is neither offering the back line meaningful protection, nor is it creating enough. The wide players in the team have been poor all season in their delivery of crosses. The best 2 games that Valencia has played this season has seen United beat Swansea 4-1 and Leverkusen 4-2. Otherwise, he has been ineffectual. Often Nani has played instead but he has been woeful. Rooney and Van Persie have done well when they have had chances, but a lot of the time, they haven't had much service. With this in mind, it's odd that Zaha has been frozen out, as he can't be any worse an option than Nani or Young. At the other end, Vidic and Ferdinand have been the stable partnership for so long, but whenever anyone else steps in, they look vulnerable. Jones, Evans and Smalling are all decent players, but not yet in their class. Those players need to step up and build a partnership and understanding.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I'd like to see them relegated to be honest. The have so many mediocre players and have been riding their luck of late. Van penis last season won them the title.

That's not really true. Van Persie was certainly the catalyst who they'd not have won it without, but other players performed well too. Carrick had an excellent season last campaign, while Ferdinand and De Gea performed extremely well in the 2nd half of last season when their defensive record improved significantly. I think they conceded about 3 goals from 10 matches from the beginning of January to the end of March and it was that period which was instrumental in them winning the title.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Genuinely not surprised. Sir Alex had the knack of getting the best out of some sub standard players. They have an ageing defence, Phil Jones is an immobile lump, dodgy keeper, Anderson and Nani are just poor players and Kagawa is not up to it. They have no replaced Scholes, Giggs is too old. Major surgery needed on that squad.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
2-1 down at HT with lots of booing - really wouldnt be surprised to see Moyes out by Christmas if this keeps up - would expect Jurgen Klopp to replace him too.

Also wouldnt be surprised to see United "do a Liverpool", win lots of things but then turn pretty shocking.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
2-1 down at HT with lots of booing - really wouldnt be surprised to see Moyes out by Christmas if this keeps up - would expect Jurgen Klopp to replace him too.

Also wouldnt be surprised to see United "do a Liverpool", win lots of things but then turn pretty shocking.

Fergie was given a lot time to settle in so Moyes will get the same

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
That's not really true. Van Persie was certainly the catalyst who they'd not have won it without, but other players performed well too. Carrick had an excellent season last campaign, while Ferdinand and De Gea performed extremely well in the 2nd half of last season when their defensive record improved significantly. I think they conceded about 3 goals from 10 matches from the beginning of January to the end of March and it was that period which was instrumental in them winning the title.

Old Trafford is the reason why they've been so dominating as was it was with Liverpool. Players used to be petrified of playing there just like Man Utd but it's changing. Teams aren't intimated any more and take the game to them and get points.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Moyes has a 6 year contract. Unless they are in the relegation zone or something daft like that, there's no way that they will be changing manager any time soon. I think having a situation where a new manager and a new CEO didn't start their new job until about 6 weeks before the season began probably hasn't helped matters either. Under Ferguson, most of his transfer business was done and dusted by the time pre-season friendlies started.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Old Trafford is the reason why they've been so dominating as was it was with Liverpool. Players used to be petrified of playing there just like Man Utd but it's changing. Teams aren't intimated any more and take the game to them and get points.

That's part of the reason, but the main reason is United's midfielders are far more lax with possession than they used to be, in part down to pressure, but also due to not being as good as their midfield in years past.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The club is in a different place now with higher expectations.....and different owners.

By all accounts, regardless of other faults, their owners tend to let managers get on with the job. I think Moyes would be under more pressure if the club was still a PLC because they'd then have share prices to consider.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lots of reasons for the slide, and I'm not going to list all of them but I do have a theory that with good luck off and on the field any team can make it to the very top, however, not many stay there forever. Might be a cycle in fact, Liverpool have a resurgence and Man U falter, it may just be the way of things.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
No club has a divine right to be successful...obviously those with financial resources should be...but not always..

I like to see teams now taking the game to Utd at Old Trafford whereas their mentality was to come away unbeaten...crazily it looks like Liverpool have a title chance this season....not because they're so good but because the competition is so poor. ..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here