Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have I missed a thread? Stanley is dead!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I remember very well listening to that lying shit at the Concorde.

He's dead is he..?...oh well. Meh.......

I am with you on this. It was my only encounter with the man and a quite extraordinary performance. The first half of the meeting he behaved quite normally. There was then a short break of maybe 15 minutes he emerged from the toilets and found some new bravery. It wasn't as if the meeting had been particularly hostile towards him from memory, but he got loud and made a sorts of promises that he would look after the clubs best interests. I have no idea what he took, but it wasn't truth serum.

I am sure his nearest and dearest will remember him appropriately. I can only recall the countless hours spent putting right his deceit and avarice.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Local? Whoa ..makes me clench at the thought...I assume they kept on having to top it up?

They did, by request!

It was meant to be over by lunchtime, instead it finished on a Saturday evening.

But one day’s discomfort was a life saver.

What’s amazing is that the surgeon and her team of about 4 gave up their Saturday for free. The incredible NHS and its dedicated people.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This is an unpleasant thread about an unpleasant topic.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m not gonna have a go at anyone for reacting with a certain amount of glee, because back in those dark days he really was an enemy of us, though of the three I always thought he wasn’t as bad. However, as I’ve get older and people around me have died, I have kinda lost the malice of my youth. My friends and I used to say we’d celebrate the day Maggie went, as it happens when she died I didn’t feel like that all, indeed I had a tinge of sadness. This is how I feel about Greg Stanley too, after all he still had friends and relatives and it’s they who I feel for now.

:bowdown:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I am with you on this. It was my only encounter with the man and a quite extraordinary performance. The first half of the meeting he behaved quite normally. There was then a short break of maybe 15 minutes he emerged from the toilets and found some new bravery. It wasn't as if the meeting had been particularly hostile towards him from memory, but he got loud and made a sorts of promises that he would look after the clubs best interests. I have no idea what he took, but it wasn't truth serum.

I am sure his nearest and dearest will remember him appropriately. I can only recall the countless hours spent putting right his deceit and avarice.

He was an alcoholic, go figure.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
For the only time ever in my time here I agree with Guinness Boy, I think on the Archer, Stanley, paper boy thing he gets it.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Apologies, but to try and add to the positive messages in this thread, I’m also going to urge the NSC community to get themselves checked up if there is something unusual in their 1s and 2s

Yesterday, my best friend got diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer that has spread to his liver. Only 3% survival rate 5 years from diagnosis. He’s understandably terrified.

Turns out he had had diarrhoea for over a year and had other symptoms but didn’t make a fuss.

If this sounds like you, do something about it. Please get yourself checked out.

Please [emoji106]

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Apologies, but to try and add to the positive messages in this thread, I’m also going to urge the NSC community to get themselves checked up if there is something unusual in their 1s and 2s

Yesterday, my best friend got diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer that has spread to his liver. Only 3% survival rate 5 years from diagnosis. He’s understandably terrified.

Turns out he had had diarrhoea for over a year and had other symptoms but didn’t make a fuss.

If this sounds like you, do something about it. Please get yourself checked out.

Please [emoji106]

As was said earlier, if a Stanley dead helps people in some way to check out, I think this thread is worthy.Thinking of it myself (55).

Edit: Mods can you look at this please for IP... I have recently been breached. It probably was me but it's Fridat!

Last edited:

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
F__k him.

I wanted him dead then ( along with the other two ) and i'm glad he has gone.

Destroyed this football club at the time every home game was an away game.

And till that other c*** goes to his grave i will rest in peace.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This thread is a truly schizophrenic NSC special.

Several posts about the the merits of being tested for prostate cancer - very comendable

And then 2 camps emerging regarding news of a former club owner's death.

Gloating over death - poor form - but the Margaret Thatcher is dead thread was epic for gloating - "Ding dong" and all that ...

This Archer bloke damn-near destroyed this club we all love - if anyone is expecting a BHA supporter to come out with "RIP" - don't hold yer breath.

Of those 3 "amigos" - yes there is only one now surviving - so I have no issue with the open thread comments ....

Big fat MEH from me

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
F__k him.

With you, but there are liberal fairies out there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
F__k him.

As the saying goes, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. And looking back this is how I feel about the whole sorry saga from the late 90s. They tried, they tried bloody hard, as others subsequently did, but they failed, and for many reasons we’re a better club for it. I mean, just look at us now eh? We sit at the top table in a lovely ground with a special history outsiders will be scared of trampling over. It really couldn’t have turned out much better.

Had they succeeded maybe I’d feel different. But they didn’t, and they couldn’t have failed any more spectacularly.

I can’t therefore say I care either way about Stanley.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The missus and I went for a meal with JK and his to Stanley’s restaurant at East Preston. At the time he was just a bit of a monied pisshead, quite amiable, until he got totally out of it and did his regular thing of drowning out all conversation with his singing and dropping his trousers. Bit full of himself but please ant enough - all before he fell under the wing of Archer who I assume got his teeth into Stanley’s other business ventures. Out of Archer and Stanley (Bellotti excluded because he was a lapdog) I have always directed most of my bile Archer’s way.
RIP - he was, or had been, a fan.

What restaurant did / does he own in EP ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
been through it also mate ....had mine removed 2 years ago , was contained so no radiotherapy or anything ...good luck and feel free to pm if you want..:thumbsup:

Thank you. Appreciated :thumbsup:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
What restaurant did / does he own in EP ?

Pebbles I think. Debate whether or not this was in Angmering or not but it was a bar, restaurant in a sort of 30s design with a piano player in the middle of a tiered restaurant. Devil of a job to get to, especially at night, seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
As the saying goes, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. And looking back this is how I feel about the whole sorry saga from the late 90s. They tried, they tried bloody hard, as others subsequently did, but they failed, and for many reasons we’re a better club for it. I mean, just look at us now eh? We sit at the top table in a lovely ground with a special history outsiders will be scared of trampling over. It really couldn’t have turned out much better.

Had they succeeded maybe I’d feel different. But they didn’t, and they couldn’t have failed any more spectacularly.

I can’t therefore say I care either way about Stanley.

Well yes but it took 14 years to get there and a lot of fans passed during that time. I remember the tribute at the opening Anex game...it was very emotional.

As for Stanley, not gloating but it comes to us all; never forget, never forgive is how I see it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well yes but it took 14 years to get there and a lot of fans passed during that time. I remember the tribute at the opening Anex game...it was very emotional.

As for Stanley, not gloating but it comes to us all; never forget, never forgive is how I see it

I hear you, but I’ll respectfully disagree with you.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Pebbles I think. Debate whether or not this was in Angmering or not but it was a bar, restaurant in a sort of 30s design with a piano player in the middle of a tiered restaurant. Devil of a job to get to, especially at night, seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

Definitely EP, it backed onto the beach, hence 'Pebbles'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here