Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have I missed a thread? Stanley is dead!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yep. Many years ago I was in the Village House at Findon with a work colleague when two friends of my colleague walked in. I didn't know these people, was introduced and and the evening continued. After a few minutes chit chat, They said they had been in a pub at Angmering, (The Lamb?) but had decided to come over to Findon as somebody had come into the pub who was an obnoxious drunk they had encountered previously. My radar picked up when the guy said; (paraphrased) "the guy is loaded and is involved with FADS the DIY company." Naturally, I chimed in with "I know exactly who you are talking about!" The guy wasn't really a football fan and knew nothing of his involvement with the Albion. I filled him in on the gaps.

Again in the mists of time - I 'think' I heard way back when, he was eventually barred from The Lamb at Angmering?

I arranged a funeral many years ago with a very well connected Arundel family, who knew of my Albion connections and recounted the story of an Albion ‘figure’ and Arundel resident upsetting the locals by urinating into the street from a first floor window 🙈

Guess who?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Best wishes for a successful outcome. The procedure isn't too bad. My PSA test was on the cusp, but biopsy clear, so then one can focus on managing the symptoms of an enlarged and occasionally infected prostate. For me that means occasional ibuprofen and maybe antibiotics. Hope it goes well.

Cheers :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The crux of it is that someone has lost their life, they are both a parent and a grandparent, so however many Albion fans feel , some people have lost someone very close to them and that’s sad.

That said Greg Stanley typified the old adage that money doesn’t necessarily make you happy.
John Vinicombe once described him as a likeable Buffon who cant be trusted with his own money, but he was more than that, a cross between Fredo from the Godfather and an ASBO Peter Pan.

He only ended up at the Albion because Ken Bates saw him as an embarrassment and for all his money didn’t want him on the board at Stamford Bridge.

He was a bully, I had my final death threat from him only 3 years ago, after The Large One put the Komedia Build a Bonfire night on You Tube, and I certainly wasn’t the first person to receive one, but like all bullies he was extremely insecure and unfortunately with his money that made him fair game for people looking to make serious money with his endorsement ( Foray 585 etc)

I see ‘Red Ivor’ has put on social media that GS was a good man, not for the first time Caplin’s talking rubbish.

Like when Bellotti died, I took no pleasure from the news, GS is a person who could have done so much more with his life, through philanthropy and charity work, yet his actions albeit he was coerced into them , made him a hated person to thousands.

At this time, we should feel sorry for his family for their loss, and actually a pity Stanley for the life he ultimately led.

You more than most can understand and have dealt with shit that people want to throw. However someone who had to deal with this person you will have a reasoned view on him. A dead person doesn't always make a decent dead person. We all have views and there's no way anyone should be criticised for expressing them unless they cross a considered line. So far on this thread has anyone done that? No the guy was an ******** to the majority of us, get over it those that feel otherwise.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I'm not happy as in dancing with joy at his passing, just feels like our past is moving on, those that did many hundreds of thousands of people wrong back in the 80s. They made an absolute killing from the Goldstone and put us on the brink of extinction. I'm sure many older folk died during those days not knowing where the Albion were going. We know where we are now. And those that made a killing out of us are now a dying breed.

Edit: His mate (and mine) that told me, also told me to f**k off when I said there'd be a party at the Amex.

Would that be a one time groundsman who was also involved with the Sussex FA by chance?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The crux of it is that someone has lost their life, they are both a parent and a grandparent, so however many Albion fans feel , some people have lost someone very close to them and that’s sad.

That said Greg Stanley typified the old adage that money doesn’t necessarily make you happy.
John Vinicombe once described him as a likeable Buffon who cant be trusted with his own money, but he was more than that, a cross between Fredo from the Godfather and an ASBO Peter Pan.

He only ended up at the Albion because Ken Bates saw him as an embarrassment and for all his money didn’t want him on the board at Stamford Bridge.

He was a bully, I had my final death threat from him only 3 years ago, after The Large One put the Komedia Build a Bonfire night on You Tube, and I certainly wasn’t the first person to receive one, but like all bullies he was extremely insecure and unfortunately with his money that made him fair game for people looking to make serious money with his endorsement ( Foray 585 etc)

I see ‘Red Ivor’ has put on social media that GS was a good man, not for the first time Caplin’s talking rubbish.

Like when Bellotti died, I took no pleasure from the news, GS is a person who could have done so much more with his life, through philanthropy and charity work, yet his actions albeit he was coerced into them , made him a hated person to thousands.

At this time, we should feel sorry for his family for their loss, and actually a pity Stanley for the life he ultimately led.

Good post. I’d be interested in Atilla’s view as well. As I recall he was on friendly terms with Stanley at the time but this became strained after Stanley repeatedly lied through his teeth. Don’t know whether that friendship ever took off again after Archer left?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here