Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Poyet lost the players?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The way some people react, it's as if that is happening week in, week out!

In answer to the original question, I would say no, it's a bad run of form, and it happens football, just like undefeated runs. In a month or two, he could be winning every game, and Manager of the Month Awards.

And therein lies the problem. Exactly the same as last season. No consistency. Its either winning runs looking like world beaters or long winless streaks, where we can't hit a barn door from three paces. Why have we got such fragile confidence? Gus seems powerless to change the mental state of the players once a bad run starts. Teams seem to mentally bully us and we can't respond.
At the moment I don't think Gus is clever enough to outthink the better managers in this division and I think some of our squad realise this.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Absolutely not but the players have lost confidence, there can be no doubt that they are really trying though. Poyet needs to instil in the players respect rather than fear of the opposition and that starts with him being more positive in his team selection, expecially at home. We seem to be going out worrying about how the opposition will play and not actually taking the game by the scruff of the neck from the kick off. We were painfully slow to get going at Leicester and Blackpool, in fact we didn't really get going at Blackpool at all.

I agree that the players are still trying but I don't get the impression that a great deal of thought is given to the way other teams play, or that we practice taking set pieces or how to play any other way than we do if it's not working. Despite the influx of new players we don't appear to have progressed enough to keep up with the best (and even the average in the division) from last year and other teams are admitting and showing by their recent performances against us that they plan hard to combat our playing style safe in the knowledge that we won't do anything differently (Blackpool being the exception, they just attack for 95 minutes!). That said, if Gus is going to stick to his guns we remain at least two top class players (creative midfielder and strong centre forward) short of the finished article and lack strength in depth. The needed players may cost more than TB is prepared to spend. If things don't improve over the next few games (and the Leeds and Peterborough games represent a real opportunity to get results and score some goals) I can actually see Gus walking.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I agree that the players are still trying but I don't get the impression that a great deal of thought is given to the way other teams play, or that we practice taking set pieces or how to play any other way than we do if it's not working. Despite the influx of new players we don't appear to have progressed enough to keep up with the best (and even the average in the division) from last year and other teams are admitting and showing by their recent performances against us that they plan hard to combat our playing style safe in the knowledge that we won't do anything differently (Blackpool being the exception, they just attack for 95 minutes!). That said, if Gus is going to stick to his guns we remain at least two top class players (creative midfielder and strong centre forward) short of the finished article and lack strength in depth. The needed players may cost more than TB is prepared to spend. If things don't improve over the next few games (and the Leeds and Peterborough games represent a real opportunity to get results and score some goals) I can actually see Gus walking.

I like a lot of this. But if Gus went to Bloom and said he still needs another two players, I actually think Bloom would be well within his rights to kick Poyet right in the arse. How many players has he signed??? Maybe instead of keep signing player after player, sign the players we actually need!!!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I like a lot of this. But if Gus went to Bloom and said he still needs another two players, I actually think Bloom would be well within his rights to kick Poyet right in the arse. How many players has he signed??? Maybe instead of keep signing player after player, sign the players we actually need!!!

Did we really need all those midfield players and not one striker ? That's where the problem is, he signed a load of players that are all the same and not the player we really needed

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Where is the "posh end of shoreham" then?

Same as mate can't be bothered to say what I really think about the way were playing at the moment just get some numpty saying just look at where we've come since playing at Gillingham , but just quickly must add this side at the moment are playing the most unattractive football I've ever seen this club play it's on a par with Gillingham ( that's it I'm ducking for cover)

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Did we really need all those midfield players and not one striker ? That's where the problem is, he signed a load of players that are all the same and not the player we really needed

Said that at the time Ernest and got slated for questioning Poyet's signings. We got an entire team of midfielders and still room on the bench for midfield subs lol. and f*** my old boots, people come on here and say we need a creative midfilder pmsl....Maybe we do, but what about the half dozen he has already signed???

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

so said lord kev

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Said that at the time Ernest and got slated for questioning Poyet's signings. We got an entire team of midfielders and still room on the bench for midfield subs lol. and f*** my old boots, people come on here and say we need a creative midfilder pmsl....Maybe we do, but what about the half dozen he has already signed???

They're mediocre and not good enough to get us promoted from this Division.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
They're mediocre and not good enough to get us promoted from this Division.

Then that's down to the manager, he signed them and did the team really need 10 new players after last season??? We weren't that far off top six, just fell short at the end.We needed a keeper, a left back, a creative midfielder and a bloody centre forward!!!!!!....We got the keeper, the left back and a bonus with Bruno. But more midfielders than you can shake a shitty stick at and still no bloody striker!!!!There is no way on earth Poyet can know his best eleven atm. The back five, yes...The rest of it is a shambles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here