Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

has jonesy gone too ?

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
The worst thing about this is, according to Barber, he is helping sort the retain list.

Not only shouldn't it be him I am desperate for the new man to be appointed so he can take over this critical job.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The worst thing about this is, according to Barber, he is helping sort the retain list.

Not only shouldn't it be him I am desperate for the new man to be appointed so he can take over this critical job.

I wouldn't let Jones draw up a shopping list.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Absolute nonsense in my opinion. Tony Bloom will know Jones isn't popular with the fans, and that means that he would only have to go on a relatively short poor run next season before people are on his back.

And this hasn't been the case with a BHA manager exactly when?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What's the main reason why so many keyboard warriors hate NJ?

Just a coach, who having better English, did the interviews on behalf of OG. The same fans seem to have no problem with OG and his coaching/tactics, so why the hatred for a back-room coach, when we have no knowledge of his skills on the training ground?

Perhaps it's just envy that NJ was in an enviable and well paid job?

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
I'm no Nathan Jones fan and will lose no sleep if he's kicked out by the new man, but the one thing that I would say he's qualified to do more than anyone else currently employed by the club is to make decisions on those out of contract.

He's just watched them all for 50 games and seen them in training every day for a year. Our new manager will (presumably) be more high-profile and better qualified than Jones, but he won't have anywhere near the knowledge of our current squad and so is in a far worse position to deal with a matter that needs to be resolved in the next week or two. Jones is by far the best man to make the calls right now, so let him do that and then see if the new manager has a role for him or not.

Nah. In my view (and I admit it's mainly gut feel rather than fact) is he is highly responsible for some of the dirge we had on loan and therefore I don't trust him to judge a player after a 1000 games. We have too much to lose with so many players out of contract.

Sit the new manager down with a few DVDs (or a seagulls player subscription) and maybe let NJ squawk a bit about what they're like in training and then get rid.

All IMHO of course.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect the retained list is all about getting rid of high earners.

Minimal input from Jones required.

It's a pretty easy call. Get rid of them all except offer contracts to Kuszczak and Upson ( which maybe will be declined ), and also to Calderon and possibly Hoskins ( depending on medical reports ).

FRYG

Bexhill Seagull
Apr 13, 2011
Bexhill
Unless the new man is Spanish and needs an interpreter too of course.

Possibly but can only see it being Sherwood, Clarke or MacKay and would imagine they will probably have the choice of bringing their own team in. Calderon is capable of translating for the Spanish players assuming he is retained. Have to wait and see I was under the impression that Jones and Garcias coachs Ruben etc had gone as soon as Garcia went but obviously by the club statement saying he was dealing with the retained list I was misinformed.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Just a coach, who having better English, did the interviews on behalf of OG. The same fans seem to have no problem with OG and his coaching/tactics, so why the hatred for a back-room coach, when we have no knowledge of his skills on the training ground?

Well, for this keyboard warrior, it's to do with the fact that every time we played Yeovil in the Withdean days (remember them?). Jones as a player first then as a coach, acted like a complete ******** to the Brighton fans. Remember him gesturing to the south stand from behind the dug out?
After he left, he showed no respect to the Brighton fans and I have no respect for him.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I suspect the retained list is all about getting rid of high earners.

Minimal input from Jones required.

It's a pretty easy call. Get rid of them all except offer contracts to Kuszczak and Upson ( which maybe will be declined ), and also to Calderon and possibly Hoskins ( depending on medical reports ).
Agree, though I suspect Kuszczak will decline,.... and Lua Lua will decline for sure even if offered.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Agree, though I suspect Kuszczak will decline,.... and Lua Lua will decline for sure even if offered.

I think we have the option on Lua Lua's contract, so if we offer him a year, he is bound to accept. Bit like Vicente the other year

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Never thought of myself as a keyboard warrior but ...............

......... so the history and Yeovil didn't endear

He's hardly a wallflower and from the off he made me think he thought of himself as joint coach rather than assistant coach. He rarely referred to Oscar in his interviews and I never liked the fact that he would spend the whole 90 minutes in the technical area, barking instructions. I sit along from there and it was the Derby game that was about the first time I saw him talking with Oscar, most if not all the time he was doing his own thing.

I also developed a feeling that perhaps he might try to oust OG in some way, I'm sure he was just given to OG (and I don't buy the translation crap) and I'm not sure there wasn't friction between them. OG never came across as someone who would deal well with conflict, Jones on the other hand ..........

All total guesswork but given 99.9% of us know the square root of feck all about what goes on in the club (good or bad) then it feels OK for me to take a stab at it too :shrug:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I just want to say this about Nathan ... Back in 2005 I wrote to Nathan, (a fellow Born Again Christian), who was by then at Yeovil, to see if he might be interested in supporting a group of us who were going on mission to Uganda. My letter was more in hope than expectation, so imagine my amazement and delight when, within a week, l had received a cheque for a three figure sum.

Now l know that this has no bearing whatsoever on his abilities (or lack of), as either a player or a coach, but l do think it says a great deal about him as a man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here