Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has it really come to this?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Sadly, the current trend, and not just with the Albion, is to reward failure...

"Nice try lads, you lost, but you kept it down to a 2 goal deficit, here, have a bonus, same again next week."

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A good defence starts with a strong central midfield pair protecting them.

Hinshelwood and Elphick have not had that this season.

Also, little or no protection from the flanks for he full backs.

Good defenders do not become bad overnight. It is more how we are setting up as a team than problems individually.

Also, if we continue to just hoof the ball it will, 8 times out of 10, come straight back. Meaning no let up for the defence. If we kept the ball a little more, like we did under Wilkins, it would give these young defenders a bit of let up.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I did not go to be fair but 4 goals conceded at home being spun as some sort of positive is ridiculious. Someone on here even put on the good things this season thread, the Peterborough home game. Are we now happy with losing at home yet again and letting in 4 goals ?.

It looked like a very promising first game for what was essentially a brand new side. Would be very surprised if that side is not good enough to beat Carlisle and Luton. Unlike the pre-transfer-window side, who would struggle. Starting with three up front and a proper left-back was a positive, if nothing else.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I did not go to be fair but 4 goals conceded at home being spun as some sort of positive is ridiculious. Someone on here even put on the good things this season thread, the Peterborough home game. Are we now happy with losing at home yet again and letting in 4 goals ?.

Are you for real?! Of course people aren't happy, it's crap losing, everyone knows that. I get the feeling this thread was started due to the fact it would attract pages and pages of responses from other posters. However, I, for one, feel positive about this new team. I feel far more comfortable having Davies instead of Robinson, I feel a lot better having McNulty instead of Richards and the interview by Adams at the end was a bit more bullish than what we've been having in recent weeks. The argument from yourself and WW conveniently ignores the fact that as THPP said, it was essentially a new team playing for the first time. Yes it probably was wrong to put Forster on the wing just for the sake of accomodating him, but I would suggest that the primary reason we lost the game was due to the unfamiliarity of the players towards each other. Its a new team for Adams as well, so he will obviously have to work out the best system in which to play them.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Oh dear, that bs again? The table doesn't lie. Maybe some people want to ignore we were the last team to fail to make the play offs, maybe some people want to ignore that we were in play spots during the season, and despite these two facts want to suggest we were never in danger of making the play offs, fine, whatever. But we finished 7th because we were the 7th best team last season. We may have been significantly worse than the top 6, but we were better than the other 17 teams below us.

It was not false, not flattering, not papering over cracks. It was earned by winning and grinding out results.
Firstly, you are totally correct. We played 46 games, yet tossers like Ian Hart peddle out some nonsense that winning a couple of end of season dead rubbers "papered over the cracks".
However I don't think that means the expectation was promotion. The hope was playoffs, but if we were trundling along in 8th to 12th, under Wilkins or Adams, I don't think too many people would be complaining. But we're not. We're complete shit.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Has it really come to this... Who am I Gamling?

You are our King, Sire..

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Micky says that the new players need time to gel. We don't have the luxury of time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
However I don't think that means the expectation was promotion. The hope was playoffs, but if we were trundling along in 8th to 12th, under Wilkins or Adams, I don't think too many people would be complaining. But we're not. We're complete shit.

I actually think had we kept wilkins, given the criticism he received (which I never understood because I enjoyed the games I saw), the expectations would have been lower. People would have hoped he would have progressed and improved the following season as he did from the first to the second, but I imagine people who were criticising him would have dragged expectations down.

I don't think it was hope, I think it was expectation. I think the prevailant attitude was 'Wilkins didn't have a clue what he was doing, doesn't have great contacts, got a couple of loanees in and made it seventh, Micky Adams is a legend, he got us promoted twice, he is well travelled, he'll take that 7th place team and make it top', i.e. 'if wilkins can make 7th with that team, imagine what Adams can do!'

But I agree even as 'low' as 12th, people would still consider Adams appointment a success.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Firstly, before some smartarse comes out with it, I do NOT want to have something to moan about. However:

Seriously, please go and support Man United, please. You're so boring it's getting ridiculous....

YES people were pleased with a performance, because it HAS got THAT bad. There are signs of improvement.. 4 goals is shit. But a glimmer of hope was there, we will not go down if we play like that every week. We will progress. And you will continue to moan every f***ing week and people like me will continue to reply because you get on their tits! :tosser:

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009
can you actually play football yourself??

if so do you think you can do better?

you seem to me like your just a typical moaning sit on your chair scarfer.

you have obviously never seen the albion at the goldstone days.

now I dont post alot, but you really are beginning to annoy the crap out of me.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
And these stupid, vitriolic, provocative and hysterical posts you insist on sharing with us are getting incredibly tiresome, I must admit.

So you keep saying, yet you still feel the need to discuss them, suggesting not only are they far from tiresome, but they are actually of more interest to you then many of the threads you DON'T bother commenting on. Anyway, I think this thread is FAR from 'stupid, vitriolic, provocative or hysterical', as much of the reasoned discussion would suggest, so i'm not sure what your point is.

Whilst WW has made some valid points his continuing negativity about all things Brighton and Hove Albion makes people not interested in his views.

Maybe if WW took some anger management courses he might restore some personal credibility.

I'm rarely angry to be honest. Perhaps in the hour or two after a dire performance spoilt by baffling managerial decisions, but that's about it really. If there was no interest then there wouldn't be 70 posts on this thread (the vast majority of which make for interesting debate about how low our expectations have fallen). My 'continued negativity' is something of a myth, although it's admittedly my fault. When things ARE going well, i'm quite happy and content, but posting about it seems pointless to a certain degree - I praise person x, a few people agree, the thread ends = dull.

Seriously, please go and support Man United, please. You're so boring it's getting ridiculous....

YES people were pleased with a performance, because it HAS got THAT bad. There are signs of improvement.. 4 goals is shit. But a glimmer of hope was there, we will not go down if we play like that every week. We will progress. And you will continue to moan every f***ing week and people like me will continue to reply because you get on their tits! :tosser:

We won't go down if we play like that every week? Play like what? A team with schoolboys in defence? We were carved open constantly and created very little. Just because there is a bit more pace in the team, meaning a bit more excitement as a supporter, it doesn't mean we'll stay up. I don't care if I get on your tits, to be honest, and I don't care if you think i'm a wanker. Again, the reasoned debate in this thread would suggest that there are those that don't.

can you actually play football yourself??

if so do you think you can do better?

you seem to me like your just a typical moaning sit on your chair scarfer.

you have obviously never seen the albion at the goldstone days.

now I dont post alot, but you really are beginning to annoy the crap out of me.

Apologies, hey ho, there's an 'ignore button' - use it, all of you. I'm not going to change - as long as i'm allowed to I will use this forum to discuss the football I will continue to do so. If i'm paying good money and supposed to be encouraged by a 4-2 home battering, then I feel inclined to post about it. Oh, and I watch Albion home and Away, standing and singing more often than not. :thumbsup:

:ascarf:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I asked a couple of mates recently why they don't post on here any more. They both said that it was too negative and that there was too much whinging. I can see there point.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I asked a couple of mates recently why they don't post on here any more. They both said that it was too negative and that there was too much whinging. I can see there point.

Surely that all comes from the team playing shit? If we were playing well, or not playing well but were in the promotion push, there wouldnt be negativity or whinging....well maybe some because it is NSC

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

I can't see yours?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here