Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Redknapp

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Poyet would be mine, I'd realise that all the time we paid him he was fantasising of managing Brazil. :annoyed:

But during that time we'd play SUBLIME football and punch way above our weight. I think I'd take that on balance, somehow.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
From Football365:

Harry's Game
Presumably you giggled along with Mediawatch on Thursday when Steven Gerrard flat-out refuted Harry Redknapp's claim that he had received an enthusiastic text from the England captain backing him as manager. "I didn't text Harry Redknapp's personal phone. I have never had his number," said Gerrard. Hmmmm, who to believe?

Flying rather more under the radar was this story from Thursday's serialisation of Redknapp's book in the Daily Mail...

'One of my favourite signings, and not just from my Bournemouth days, was a striker called Carl Richards. I took him from Enfield and he was a real one-off. He was a big lad, and looked more like Carl Lewis. I bought Carl for £10,000, went to pick him up from Enfield and while he went in to say goodbye to his manager, he left me with his mate.

''What are you signing him for?' said this kid. 'I'm 10 times better than him. I've got 26 goals this season, he's only got 12. I'm different class than him. Why don't you sign me?' I was worried. 'I can't buy you, I'm buying him,' I told Carl's mate, 'but I'll keep an eye out for you, don't worry.'

'So we took Carl and he was absolutely useless. He could run, but that was about it. We played about six games, couldn't win one. Carl was terrible. After about four games of this, he came to see me. 'I've got a mate,' he said. 'He was asking if he could have a trial. He's a striker, like me.' 'And is he as good as you, Carl?' I asked, suspiciously. 'No, he's not as good as me,' he said, 'but he's decent.'

''Well, tell him not to f***ing bother then,' I snapped, and that was the end of it.

'The following Saturday, we went to play Crystal Palace. 'My mate, the one who wanted a trial, he's playing for Palace today,' said Carl. 'Oh good,' I thought. 'No problem there then.'

'Anyway, three goals later I realised Carl wasn't much of a scout, either. His mate's name? Ian Wright, who went on to score 238 league goals.'
What a cracking story. We can hear Harry cackling as he tells it, ending with a 'facking football, eh'.

Except, well, Carl Richards signed for Redknapp's Bournemouth in 1986, a whole year after Ian Wright had joined Crystal Palace. Oh and Palace didn't play Bournemouth until the 1987/88 season...by which time this 'unknown' Ian Wright was deep into his third, very successful season with the Eagles.

Harry Redknapp's autobiography is out soon: Available in all good bookshops in the 'Fiction' department

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You mean like his tax return?

Ssssshhhh! We all know Harry pays his taxes honestly and regularly, as proven in a court of law :thumbsup:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
You cant blame Harry for getting his dates muddled..... dont forget he is dyslexic

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You cant blame Harry for getting his dates muddled..... dont forget he is dyslexic

The dates, yes. The entire conversation and three years of Ian Wright's highly successful career...less so.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's a bit in the book where he talks about the car crash in Italy in which he was injured, years ago (although not in a life threatening manner).

He says "they laid me on the floor and pulled a white sheet over my face. They thought I was dead".

Yeah, that wasn't because they thought you were dead, Harry...

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
There's a bit in the book where he talks about the car crash in Italy in which he was injured, years ago (although not in a life threatening manner).

He says "they laid me on the floor and pulled a white sheet over my face. They thought I was dead".

Yeah, that wasn't because they thought you were dead, Harry...

Cant believe they had to check his pulse, surely the eye was twitching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here