Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Redknapp

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think he would have been good. Would have been the first time in ages that the popular choice made it as England manager. I really do believe he would have demanded a real pride to wear the shirt and that hasn't been seen for a long time (bar a few players). Just as with Cloughie years ago, another mistake by the FA and although I lost a lot of respect for Redknapp for some of his aforementioned shenanigans, he would have made a great England manager.

I don't agree with any of that. I don't think he was the popular choice, outside the media. I don't remember talking to a single person who wanted him, and most actively didn't want him.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I agree with what he is saying. Some of the appointments by the FA have been atrocious. They haven't a clue

Really? For the top job, it's not been so bad

Hodgson: Jury's still out but when it became clear the desire was for an English manager, it did appear at the time to be a straight choice between him and Redknapp. Give Redknapp's dodgy past I can understand why they went for Hodgson, who also had the added benefit of managing abroad & internationally on his CV.

Capello: One of the most decorated managers in the history of the modern game, once we knew he was interested, it was a no brainer.

McClaren: This doesn't stack up too well. However, the injuries we had for that Croatia game were as bad as I ever remember an England side having. He has subsequently proved he's got an idea by winning trophies abroad. The theory behind the appointment was sound, an attempt to continue the progress made under Erikson

Sven: You could argue we under achieved slightly but I don't subscribe to that, 3 quarter finals is about where England should have been. He consistently put us in the place to win things. His record in qualifying was very useful.

Keegan: Diasterous appointment, who was exposed tactically at the top level. However, at the time of his appointment, I don't remember there being too many dissenters, he had a very decent domestic track record.

Hoddle: Had it not been for his completely inappropriate comments, could probably still be England manager now. The one that got away.

Venables: Very nearly won us Euro '96.

Our problem since 2000 has been the players on the whole for me, not the managers.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Really? For the top job, it's not been so bad

Hodgson: Jury's still out but when it became clear the desire was for an English manager, it did appear at the time to be a straight choice between him and Redknapp. Give Redknapp's dodgy past I can understand why they went for Hodgson, who also had the added benefit of managing abroad & internationally on his CV.

Capello: One of the most decorated managers in the history of the modern game, once we knew he was interested, it was a no brainer.

McClaren: This doesn't stack up too well. However, the injuries we had for that Croatia game were as bad as I ever remember an England side having. He has subsequently proved he's got an idea by winning trophies abroad. The theory behind the appointment was sound, an attempt to continue the progress made under Erikson

Sven: You could argue we under achieved slightly but I don't subscribe to that, 3 quarter finals is about where England should have been. He consistently put us in the place to win things. His record in qualifying was very useful.

Keegan: Diasterous appointment, who was exposed tactically at the top level. However, at the time of his appointment, I don't remember there being too many dissenters, he had a very decent domestic track record.

Hoddle: Had it not been for his completely inappropriate comments, could probably still be England manager now. The one that got away.

Venables: Very nearly won us Euro '96.

Our problem since 2000 has been the players on the whole for me, not the managers.

Surely Keegan was the populist manager that Miami Seagull said we didn't have, and look how badly that turned out.

More than choosing the wrong men, I would say they spunked too much money on these guys.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think he would have been good. Would have been the first time in ages that the popular choice made it as England manager. I really do believe he would have demanded a real pride to wear the shirt and that hasn't been seen for a long time (bar a few players). Just as with Cloughie years ago, another mistake by the FA and although I lost a lot of respect for Redknapp for some of his aforementioned shenanigans, he would have made a great England manager.

What is all this nonsense about pride to wear the shirt? Is it really the managers responsibility to get a bunch of Englishman to be proud to play for England?If players aren't up for playing for their country there is no one else to blame but the players.

Interestingly, Gary Neville said something very astute about this not song long ago. He was of the opinion that the players actually cared too much and it inhibited their ability to play as the pressure got to them. I think there's something in this, England teams of recent vintage have looked scared to me more than anything else.

Oct 25, 2003
I also see little evidence to suggest that he is some sort of Mr. Motivator genius....surely he would have won more than one (dodgy) FA Cup in about 25 years of management if this was true? his main attribute is "wheeling/dealing" is it not?

Almost all the criticism thrown at England in the past was almost identical to that thrown at QPR last season (overpaid, not caring etc.) and his QPR side were one of the limpest I can ever recall in Premier League history

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Ahh yes, taking free-spending QPR down. How deserving of the england job you are Redknapp you red faced bell end. I'm delighted to see you'd already started planning your back room staff as well, makes me even happy to know you'll never get near the position.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Offering a job to someone whilst they are employed by another club, whilst in the ground of your current employers before a game.

A man you want in charge for England.

and he wonders why Levy sacked him

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Would have been the first time in ages that the popular choice made it as England manager.

Popular choice in the media, yes, but I really don't think the majority of football fans wanted him. The reaction on this thread is pretty much the balance of opinion I've seen whenever 'Arry gets discussed.

Oct 25, 2003
Popular choice in the media, yes, but I really don't think the majority of football fans wanted him. The reaction on this thread is pretty much the balance of opinion I've seen whenever 'Arry gets discussed.

he was billed as the 'peoples choice' yet whenever I see the issue discussed anywhere....be it on the internet or when I've had discussions with other football fans, the split is AT THE VERY BEST 50/50....I'm yet to see any evidence that there was this huge wave of support for him from the 'public' begging for his installation as England boss.....oh, apart from in the Tabloid press

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

The Media wanted him, most of the public didnt as they dont like him.

The abuse AVB got in the Media was all down to him replacing Harry

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'd like 'Arry to get the England job at the start of a qualifying campaign... then have it go horribly wrong finally allowing everyone to move on from calls for him to be manager.

He ends getting sacked after we lose six games (two friendlies and four competitive) on the bounce including a shock 3-0 defeat at home against San Marino, before a proper manager comes in and leads England to the tournament by the narrowest of margins

The only reason I wanted him to get the job was too see him get booed out of it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Exactly.

And of course the media wanted him, because he's ALWAYS good for a headline. He'll reveal snippets of what's going on in the camp, he'll publically rip teh piss out of a striker missing a chance, and one day the whole financial house of cards that he has built up will crash down spectacularly. Of course he was teh medias choice.

Popular choice amongst fans, meh, stop it. The media do love to tell us the same thing over and over again until we just believe it because EVERYONE is saying it every time we turn the telly on.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Exactly.

And of course the media wanted him, because he's ALWAYS good for a headline. He'll reveal snippets of what's going on in the camp, he'll publically rip teh piss out of a striker missing a chance, and one day the whole financial house of cards that he has built up will crash down spectacularly. Of course he was teh medias choice.

Popular choice amongst fans, meh, stop it. The media do love to tell us the same thing over and over again until we just believe it because EVERYONE is saying it every time we turn the telly on.

The Media were good enough to tell me, among with a large percentage of spurs fans I was gutted he got the boot.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
His QPR side spent more on players last season (and probably this one too) than Palace could dream of, yet looked like a bunch of utter incompetents all season.

Obviously none of that was Harry's fault, as nothing ever is.

Absolute shyster, yet always the media's best mate because he's great for a cheap, provocative quote whenever they want one.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Harry now wants to be billed as 'the man the FA wouldn't dare appoint'. In other words, the modern day Brian Clough. A man who won League Championships and European Cups with an unfashionable team at the time(i.e not Liverpool).

I watched a You Tube interview recently featuring Sir David Frost and Clough. Brian Clough came across as an intelligent man. A little bit crazy but measured.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Harry took over after 12 games - thats 26 games to save QPR

all Hughes fault.

Don't forget that even when January came round he didn't even have the money to buy a single defender on £125k a week! Oh no, hang on he did, but anyway, it wasn't his fault that he was shite, and turned up unfit. He only had 4 months of him, and by the end of the season ... he still didn't look fit. Anyway, not 'Arrys fault, not at all, none of it.

It's his passion we all love, isn't it. They went down, but he was determined to be the one to get them back up. He said, "I'm the manager, this is on me, and I'm going to be the one to get us back up." Oh yeah, go 'Arry, a lesser man would have whinged and moaned all summer about needing a fortune to improve a squad that should have been good enough for mid-table Prem in the first place, threatening to walk if he didn't get it. Throwing their arms up at having to sell before they buy (yet again), but not 'Arry, he just rolled up his sleeves and got on with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here