Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Redknapp

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'd like 'Arry to get the England job at the start of a qualifying campaign... then have it go horribly wrong finally allowing everyone to move on from calls for him to be manager.

He ends getting sacked after we lose six games (two friendlies and four competitive) on the bounce including a shock 3-0 defeat at home against San Marino, before a proper manager comes in and leads England to the tournament by the narrowest of margins

I can't see him being looked at again any time soon, if at all, and at his age he'll be retiring before long.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So he hasn't actually come out and made a statement in the last 24 hours, this is just something in his autobiography that the Daily Mail are serialising.

Can somebody explain why the Daily Mail released these bits now? They make themselves look shit for breaking this story at such an inappropriate time, consequently they make Redknapp look shit at a time when QPR are flying and he really doesn't need this. All the other papers are piling in on the story too.

If we get eliminated then Redknapp's views would have more resonance.

Ironically, the team that stands to benefit if England slip up is Ukraine. Didn't Harry interview for the Head Coach job of the Ukraine prior to taking the QPR job? You wonder whether the door's been left open for him there, in which case it would be in his interest if England didn't qualify. Another one of 'Arry's dodgy deals?! Headlines seem to follow the bloke around.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't think of many English managers I'd want LESS than Redknapp. Horrible person and a massively overrated manager.

This. And nice timing Harry. What a twunt.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Can somebody explain why the Daily Mail released these bits now? They make themselves look shit for breaking this story at such an inappropriate time, consequently they make Redknapp look shit at a time when QPR are flying and he really doesn't need this. All the other papers are piling in on the story too.

They are doing a serialisation of the book. They don't do this randomly, these deals are arranged with the publisher ahead of the release of the book.

I know Daily Mail hating is great fun and everything, but Harry and his publishers are behind the timing on this one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Harry and his publishers are behind the timing on this one.

Without a doubt they could have had a say if they wanted to. They were probably offered more money to allow it to be released ahead of these important England games...and we all know what Harry really cares about.....

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
So he hasn't actually come out and made a statement in the last 24 hours, this is just something in his autobiography that the Daily Mail are serialising.

If we get eliminated then Redknapp's views would have more resonance.

Ironically, the team that stands to benefit if England slip up is Ukraine. Didn't Harry interview for the Head Coach job of the Ukraine prior to taking the QPR job? You wonder whether the door's been left open for him there, in which case it would be in his interest if England didn't qualify. Another one of 'Arry's dodgy deals?! Headlines seem to follow the bloke around.

For the same reason that they chose to serialise Damien McBrides book in the week of the Labour Conference.

This is what British behaviour and values is about.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
For the same reason that they chose to serialise Damien McBrides book in the week of the Labour Conference.

This is what British behaviour and values is about.

And next week they will be saying Roy Hodgson's father was evil…

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I remember how smug Redknapp seemed in an interview just prior to Hodgson being announced as manager, he was lording up all the media attention. I'm glad we got a manager without a planet sized ego and a dubious financial history

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I remember how smug Redknapp seemed in an interview just prior to Hodgson being announced as manager, he was lording up all the media attention. I'm glad we got a manager without a planet sized ego and a dubious financial history

To be fair, many in the media had already effectively given it to him

Oct 25, 2003
when he describes himself as the 'peoples choice' can he supply any evidence to suggest this? he seems to be declaring it as fact...sure, some people were keen, but most of the hype around him came from his mates in the tabloid press

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I agree with his sentiments about the FA and the way they run the game but the timing is very poor and presumably done to maximise exposure and revenue. Very poor form.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Redknapp has an uncanny ability to **** things up just when things are going right for him:

1. Getting the West Ham "golden generation" but achieving nothing with them
2. Luvvly backhanders, then getting greedy and pissing off the taxman
3. Pissing off Daniel Levy just when he was getting somewhere at Spurs
4. Missing out on Champions League / finishing above Arsenal with Spurs
5. Pissing off the FA just when he seemed to have the England job in the bag.

You wonder whether QPR will blow promotion because of something else he does. Probably not, but if there was a 'self-destruct' button he'd probably knock it accidentally.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Really?...I mean REALLY?! Think about how tactical and technical the top level of international football is now. You really think he could outthink some of the top managers in a world? Bear in mind things like "passion" and "motivation" mean absolute F**K ALL at that level. Spain haven't won the last 3 tournaments cos they "wanted it" the most or any nonsense like that.
I disagree. England are never going to be able to compete with teams lime Spain and Brazil on technical ability. Passion and motivation is needed in the England side. During the last world cup we had none and it showed. Harry would send out a team with their heads held high every time they walk into the pitch in an England shirt. Also, he isn't the sort of manager who will just play a player like Rooney because they are a big name. He would pick a team of players who train and work the hardest and want to win.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I agree with his sentiments about the FA and the way they run the game but the timing is very poor and presumably done to maximise exposure and revenue. Very poor form.

To be fair, I doubt he would have been the person who made the decision on timing. His books marketing team would have been the ones who made the decision. He is a football manager after all

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I think he would have been good. Would have been the first time in ages that the popular choice made it as England manager. I really do believe he would have demanded a real pride to wear the shirt and that hasn't been seen for a long time (bar a few players). Just as with Cloughie years ago, another mistake by the FA and although I lost a lot of respect for Redknapp for some of his aforementioned shenanigans, he would have made a great England manager.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I agree with what he is saying. Some of the appointments by the FA have been atrocious. They haven't a clue

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here