Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to tempt Bridcutt away?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Season long but suggestions in Sunderland (according to local and national press) that they want to make it permanent in January. Could be that Sunderland are trying to keep Ki price down by making interest in Bridcutt known to show Swansea they have a relatively cut-price option if Swansea value Ki too highly.

I think we are reading too much into some comments Bridcutt made and linking them to a move to Sunderland.

After being out injured for so long he will be off most clubs radar and it would be best for him just getting game time with us for the rest of the season. If he performs well in the second half of the season he may have more options come summer.

I have swung from thinking he could go to probably not.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
I know he has been out for a whilem, but after watching him Tuesday put in an average performance, I'm not sure he would cope at a higher level.

He is very good playing the Poyet way, but that's not going to help him against world class attacking midfielders.

Totally agree, I rate Bridcutt highly and he's a great little player that cant be questioned but do I think he is premiership class....no I don't.

Liam has no offensive game and I feel he'd struggle in the prem with the step up, hope he proves me wrong.

5 Million+ and he will go

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not understand all this about him having a poor game on Tuesday, he was our midfield, granted her started off under par but by by then end of 90 mins he was back to the player that we all love and admire. I dont think that he will go as I believe the amount that will be offered by Gus about, 2- 2.5m will not be sufficient to make TB consider it. He is unproven, as he was when he joined us the difference being the playing standard required of him and he is not guaranteed to make the grade for Gus to splash out £5m, which I am sure TB would consider.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No one is irreplaceable and I would be happy with 3.5-5m for Liam, Ince is more than able to step up to the plate and have every confidence Bloom would not let him go cheap. I also thought Gus was not in charge of who was brought in to Sunderland.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Why sell for £2m? We have both this and next season to make serious attempts at promotion. Liam is our best player, why would you sell you best player for that sort of minimal sum? Granted we have Ince to replace him now, but he is a very different sort of player and not in Bridcutt's class as yet.

I would want £3.5m minimum personally...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why sell for £2m? We have both this and next season to make serious attempts at promotion. Liam is our best player, why would you sell you best player for that sort of minimal sum? Granted we have Ince to replace him now, but he is a very different sort of player and not in Bridcutt's class as yet.

I would want £3.5m minimum personally...

Hence my point that he wont go as GUS wont offer enough to make TB consider selling him.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hence my point that he wont go as GUS wont offer enough to make TB consider selling him.

I actually hope you are wrong. Personally, I think that although as I say he is our best player, if we could get north of £3.5m we could possibly get 2/3 quality additions probably from the Spanish market. I think that could be the difference from making the play offs to coming up just short as I suspect we will currently...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He's a Premiership player and deserves to be there. We didn't go up, so we can't expect to keep players of his quality indefinably, that's the grim truth of it.

I expect a £3.5m offer from Sunderland and the best midfielder I've ever seen in a Brighton shirt will be off :(

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Let him go in the summer as he'll only have a year left on his contract. Getting rid in January could upset our performances for the rest of the season.

Our performance seem to be either upset or not, irrespective of whether Bridcutt is in the team. As indicated by 'ees complicated, no' and seconded, thirded, ... 5-7m, as Ince not only has enormous potential but has demonstrated it on a number of occasions. We do need to nail Ince down in a contract though and quick.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I actually hope you are wrong. Personally, I think that although as I say he is our best player, if we could get north of £3.5m we could possibly get 2/3 quality additions probably from the Spanish market. I think that could be the difference from making the play offs to coming up just short as I suspect we will currently...

I agree about the squad strengthening but think that TB will want at least £3.5m, if not more, but Gus will offer about £2m. Midfielders do not command the price that strikers do so I doubt that he will go, if he does go, for as much as we paid for CMS

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sadly, I suspect you're pretty much on the money with that guestimate.

I don't think he underestimates Bridcutt by any means, I thinki he has been realistic with the price. It's not about how much we , the fans, value him but how much potential buyers are willing to pay. If nobody other than Sunderland come in for him there isn't going to be a bidding war and I suspect we will cave in and let him go relatively cheap.

Why would we bother with that? If it's only 2-2.5m, why do we have to bow to the buying club. We can just say no, he's under contract, go do one. Come back with a decent offer of 5-7m, and we might think about it, actually for the kind of reasons Ginger Beer Man has been pointing out on this thread.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Okay, maybe cave in was the wrong choice of words, but if Sunderland want him and Liam wants to go it's pretty much a done deal, especially as his contract is running down now. We simply will not receive anything like the £6-8m people are hoping for.

All contracts run down. Bridcutt's won't end until 2015. That means, if we decide to hold firm, it might take 5-7m to get him. If Sunderland were to pay that, Bridcutt would be happy, Poyet would be happy, Bloom would be happy, most Brighton fans would be happy, and I'd be happy because a club that recently appointed a fascist as their manager would have paid over-the-odds for one of our players, because -- as seems to be somewhat infrequent at present -- B&HA have tied him down to a long contract, because they rate him highly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here