Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to tempt Bridcutt away?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
unsubstantiated but assured by someone who should know that when Gus was touting himself round he blatantly told certain players he would take them with him.

Could that be seen as gross missconduct?

It's not the same as mine Phil. I'd not sell him for less than five. £2m is of no use to us whatsoever, and I think £5m is not an unreasonable fee for Liam. Given that we have Ince almost ready to takeover his role then we would be daft to turn down a decent offer.

I'd love to never find out who is barking up the right tree, but if he does go, then I agree, £2M won't be much help. It would be astonishing to me if we got anything close to £5M, of course, I'd be disappointed and delighted if we did.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
image.jpg

£1.75?!?! :lolol:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
we will get no more than about £1.5m for him, worth a boat load more than that, but for some reason we let our players go on the cheap.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
we will get no more than about £1.5m for him, worth a boat load more than that, but for some reason we let our players go on the cheap.

Who have we sold cheaply lately?

Decent money for Noone I think
Bennett wanted out but agreed to stay to help us get promotion, not sure he was THAT undervalued as he's hardly set the Premier alight ( and yes I know he's got a long term injury this season)

Who else have we sold too cheaply in the last couple of years?

In fact I think we have actually resisted selling players

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yep, Ki has been playing fantastically and has established himself as a fans favourite and they don't need Bridcutt unless for cover.

Gus has inherrited a lot of quality players.

Ki is only on loan though and would cost more than Bridcutt to sign, probably upwards of the £6m Swansea paid for him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Value is also linked to length of current contract as well as ability. We haven't been throwing about lengthy contracts generally, and so in turn, there isn't a huge contract to be bought out either.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Season long loan or just until January?

Season long but suggestions in Sunderland (according to local and national press) that they want to make it permanent in January. Could be that Sunderland are trying to keep Ki price down by making interest in Bridcutt known to show Swansea they have a relatively cut-price option if Swansea value Ki too highly.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Poyet would have been slaughtered on here for saying "It would be even better if I can do it with Brighton, but if there is an opportunity for me to do it with another club I think it is going to be hard for me to turn it down."

You obviously wouldn't recognise the difference between a blushing maiden flattered by the attention of her first suitor and a bit of a slapper touting herself about for some more lucrative business.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'd forgotten Palace made a bid for him in August. I have just had a horrible thought that maybe while we all worry about Sunderland (who might not even need Bridcutt if Gus really does rate Ki that highly), there is a far, far more chilling scenario in the background.

Liam has too much class, surely!?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd forgotten Palace made a bid for him in August. I have just had a horrible thought that maybe while we all worry about Sunderland (who might not even need Bridcutt if Gus really does rate Ki that highly), there is a far, far more chilling scenario in the background.

They would have to pay top dollar and if he wants to go there, so be it imo. I am actually past worrying where an Albion player goes when he leaves, once they are gone it doesn't actually matter. Whether I'd feel like that if we play them again and he is in the team is another matter.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
he is only really worth what someone wants to pay for a young player, who was injury prone in his early career, has just come back from a long term injury and who is untried at any level above championship ( Internationals dont count really as they are one offs) Sunderland have been burned with some of their acquisitions and I think they will baulk at a huge fee

£2 million is my estimate, but who knows really.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's been great for us for three years, but it's time for him to go. It's best for everyone involved. The Albion need to try and get £3m and then we'll have done well, while Bridcutt deserves a chance at a higher level. There is no way we'll get much more than £3m, because every club will know he wants to go and also because he's 24. He's not an exciting teenager with the potential to be a Champions League player. He's just a very good Championship player who isn't going to drastically improve at his age so he will never be more than a reasonable player at the bottom end of the EPL. Therefore, he's not going to be attracting bids of anything like £6m-£8m. All I hope is that if it's Sunderland who get him we add another £1m to the price.

My first reaction is to agree with you as I usually do, but I'd add the caveat that I'd expect Bridcutt's price to be £3-3.5m, yet it could *easily* be much more than that. The £3m price will be set by our club as the minimum we'd accept, but it only takes one other Premier League club to express an interest and spark a bidding war.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here