Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Said We Have Spent 70% of our Transfer Budget Already

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
23 players on an average of £2,000 a week equates to £2,392,000 per anum and that's before bonuses and N.I contributions etc etc

Looks like trying to find a hidden gem striker wise then, with 5 days left, poyet has left himself with no choice to being picky about "his style of striker". The whole club seem to have a lopsided investment policy, flair stadium, below par team in terms of promotion chances. It's like having a Ferrari with a mini engine inside

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Not forgetting the artical which turned up here the other day regarding our finances. But the I think to myself (what a wonderful world) why would Tony say he wanted top 2? Did he get a bit excited?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I thought as much. I new something was up as to why we haven't signed a striker.We are skint.It will deffo be a loan one now.Some young raw kid with no experience yet.:facepalm:

Well if that's the case then so be it! We'll be competitive and challenging for a top ten finish, that's probably the best we can hope for whilst at Withdean...next year however...

Socky

Sockmonster
Jun 24, 2008
Brighton
Bloom has not borrowed the money to pay for stadium. As I understand it is an interest free loan from him to the club in cash.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Don't forget Mr Poyet's extension. That woulda cost a bit in fee's, I imagine. As would MT.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It is an interest free unsecured loan. He specifically structured the loan this way so that the club wouldn't be lumbered with huge repayments (like Man United for example). Staggeringly generous thing to do. And unsecured means if we go pop, he is unlikely to see any of it again.

The TB money means that we'll get a stadium that will allow us to trade at a profit (currently giving half of all gate money in rent for example). This profit - and total lack of debt, will be the way we can grow the club for the long term.

If you haven't read the Swiss article, you should do so. It makes it clear what the finances are and explains why Falmer - and specifically the way it has been financed - is so important and will secure our long term success.

I have said on here several times before that something was not adding up, the fans forum gave us an impression that bloom has the right funds to give to poyet to build a squad, the actions of poyet does not support this, not poyet' fault but the truth is that the growth of the club will be gradual and not rapid, which maybe a good thing long term

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
But it's not just a case of freeing up the wages. Signing on fees can be large as can agents fees.
If that's the case it doesn't explain this...

Slade signings

Smith Free
Bennett 200k
Tunni 125k?
Wright 125k?
Nav Free
Dicker 25k(loan) then Free
Mark Wright Free
Dickinson 150k-250k?
Crofty Free

I can't think of anymore.So there's 9 new players

spent £600k-750k roughly

Sales None

Poyet

Peter Brezovan - Free
Cristian Baz - Free
Augustin Battipiedi - Free
Marcos Painter - Free
Inigo Calderon - Free
Matthew Sparrow - Free
Radostin Kishishev - Free
Casper Ankergren - Free
Michael Poke - Free
Ashley Barnes - Undisclosed £100,000?
Gordon Greer - £250,000

Spent £350k

Sales £450K

Profit 100k?

So Gus brought in 11 new players.Spent less money then Slade and made a small profit.Also his budget was increased by 10% compared to Slade's and yet we only hve 30% left?

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I'd imagine all the free transfers would've got hefty signing on fees that perhaps came out of the transfer budget?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Algie - not sure I follow. No one buys a player based purelu on the transfer cost. They have to clook at the capital commitment that giving a player a contract exposes the club to. But based on no specifics, the actual cost of each new player could be something like this:

Peter Brezovan - Transfer fee £0; Signing on fee £100k; Wage commitment £150k; bonuses £30k; agent £20k - capital commitment £300k
Cristian Baz - £150k
Augustin Battipiedi - £150k
Marcos Painter - £400k
Inigo Calderon - £450k
Matthew Sparrow - £400k
Radostin Kishishev - £250k
Casper Ankergren - £200k
Michael Poke - £150k
Ashley Barnes - £350k
Gordon Greer - £500k

That's what the actual capital commitment may be if you factor in wages, bonuses, signing-o fees/transfer fees; agents and package.

[total guess work but not unreasonable for players of this seniority I would think. +/-£2k a week]

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Algie - not sure I follow. No one buys a player based purelu on the transfer cost. They have to clook at the capital commitment that giving a player a contract exposes the club to. But based on no specifics, the actual cost of each new player could be something like this:

Peter Brezovan - Transfer fee £0; Signing on fee £100k; Wage commitment £150k; bonuses £30k; agent £20k - capital commitment £300k
Cristian Baz - £150k
Augustin Battipiedi - £150k
Marcos Painter - £400k
Inigo Calderon - £450k
Matthew Sparrow - £400k
Radostin Kishishev - £250k
Casper Ankergren - £200k
Michael Poke - £150k
Ashley Barnes - £350k
Gordon Greer - £500k

That's what the actual capital commitment may be if you factor in wages, bonuses, signing-o fees/transfer fees; agents and package.

[total guess work but not unreasonable for players of this seniority I would think. +/-£2k a week]

I really can't see the Argies or Poke being that much.All of them are only on 1 year deals and signing on fees are about 10%? They are gamble players which wouldn't cost alot as they have to prove themselves.It's players like Calderon,Greer and Sparrow who would cost a fair bit i agree.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I really can't see the Argies or Poke being that much.All of them are only on 1 year deals and signing on fees are about 10%? They are gamble players which wouldn't cost alot as they have to prove themselves.It's players like Calderon,Greer and Sparrow who would cost a fair bit i agree.

Can't argue with you, I have no idea about the signing on fees. I was told that some senior players can get up to 50% of their transfer value as a fee - so you could be right with 10% (although I though that was players who move for a transfer fee getting 10% of the transfer fee value).

The point is the pot is paying for a lot more than just the transfer fees on the few that we have bought. And as you say, the Sparrows, Caldes etc will not be on a small package.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Looks like trying to find a hidden gem striker wise then, with 5 days left, poyet has left himself with no choice to being picky about "his style of striker". The whole club seem to have a lopsided investment policy, flair stadium, below par team in terms of promotion chances. It's like having a Ferrari with a mini engine inside

I take your point,but the new stadium is obviously the most important thing at the moment.
I think many of us,myself included,somehow got the impression that there would be more cash available for transfers than there actually appears to be and our thoughts for promotion naturally increased at the same time.
At the time of posting,promotion this season is looking a bit of a big ask.However,we may get in some more players before D Day and that will all change!Our expectations for this season have certainly been 'managed down' by the club since Tony's desire/expectation of automatic promotion expressed sometime ago.I reckon this has all left many of us a bit bemused and a incy wincy bit disappointed on the transfer front.
If anyone has not read the Swiss article,I suggest they do...it certainly makes for sober reading and goes a long way to explaining our current position.
I am sure the club has a great future,but getting where we want to be may take a bit longer than we may have thought.
On a bright note,I went past the Stadium last Sunday and stopped ,had a good look.....MAGNIFICENT! :thumbsup:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I suppose you could add Tunni and McNulty to my list as they are out on loan and therefore freeing up wages.
Didn't Bloom say he would give Gus more money because of Nav being injured long term?

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I take your point,but the new stadium is obviously the most important thing at the moment.
I think many of us,myself included,somehow got the impression that there would be more cash available for transfers than there actually appears to be and our thoughts for promotion naturally increased at the same time.
At the time of posting,promotion this season is looking a bit of a big ask.However,we may get in some more players before D Day and that will all change!Our expectations for this season have certainly been 'managed down' by the club since Tony's desire/expectation of automatic promotion expressed sometime ago.I reckon this has all left many of us a bit bemused and a incy wincy bit disappointed on the transfer front.
If anyone has not read the Swiss article,I suggest they do...it certainly makes for sober reading and goes a long way to explaining our current position.
I am sure the club has a great future,but getting where we want to be may take a bit longer than we may have thought.
On a bright note,I went past the Stadium last Sunday and stopped ,had a good look.....MAGNIFICENT! :thumbsup:

could someone give me a link to the Swiss article as its new one to me...ta in advance

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Here's a thought - maybe people are completely blowing this out of all proportion. What did you expect Gus to say? "Yeah we can splash out on a striker actually". Despite wanting to intimately know about the inner workings of our club, I'm afraid no one on here has a f***ing clue, despite thinking that they do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here