Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus moaning about money (in the Argus) again? [merged]

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
I don't suppose Poyet's comments in the Argus have enamoured him to the Chairman.
Presumably Poyet was,and still is , aware of the budget for recruiting players and paying their wages and reckoned he could operate successfully within those parameters.
Of course money plays a large part in football,but there are plenty of examples where buying success has failed and prudent wise purchasing and management of players, together with tactical nous, has succeeded.
Poyet has had a fair old wedge to play with and if I were him I would shut up and get on with the job as best he can without moaning about money.Someone on here said he isn't moaning, but to all intents and purposes he is moaning.
He should use his talents to get the best out of the players we have.......and we have quite a few and try and solve the goal scoring problem together with figuring out how we might actually go on to win a game having gone behind.Doncaster is a long time ago.
I would imagine that the chairman doesnt have a problem with what Gus has said... he is not moaning.. Just saying that is what we have . Thats why we had to go to Spain and get a Div 2 player. Its not rocket science to know that we cant compete with teams paying 8 mill for a striker in our league ...AND paying huge wages because of the money received from being relegated from the Premiership .
Its called being honest , and level headed....exactly the things that our chairman has !

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Bearing in mind our history of how many times we have been in the top 2 flights I hardly think a few seasons in the Championship is stagnating!

I feel we need to build stronger foundations for a couple more years before we want the Premiership.

I know you can't turn it down if it arrives but I think when you get there you want to stay there and we need to be ready.

Promotion in season 2014-15 for me.

Newsflash !!!! Top Story !!!,!

Me and One Love agree lol

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Gus is always moaning about something, usually money. This above all else is my biggest bug bare about him, he is like a old woman, moan, moan, moan all the time. When he has had everything he has asked for, just look at our squad list. Instead of f***ing moaning all the time, perhaps he should have another look at the Hull game and ask himself, what was so wrong with that performance, against the team now in second, that he felt the need to make three changes to a winning side???

Because Hull play differently to Blackburn, Vicente could start and CMS was off colour. Pretty obvious that instead of 'f***ing moaning' about changes he made you should look at why.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Actually I don't really buy this " Gus is under pressure" lark.

He is buildinga dynasty based on foreign players, some of who won't be around for the long term, but if you look at the development squad and how Gus has scoured Europe for young players, especially with the academy being approved, then I am sure that he has not been given a specific timescale for promotion.

Yes it would be nice to go up and play the best in the country, we are mostly agreed that this division has some really good sides in it and we have had some cracking games...even if we haven't won them, so I think that if we didn't make it in the next two to three years the majority of fans would not be overly fussed.

We all know from the likes of Pompey, Southampton, Leeds Coventry etc that the premiership can be a poison chalice if you drop out without bouncing straight back up. Hull and Leicester have bucked the trend, but the premiership is , because of tv money and rich owners become more like a cartel and only really the top clubs, Manu, man city, tottenham, arsenal and Chelsea can compete for the honours...the rest are also rans flirting with relegation.

I am not sure if that would suit albion fans at all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes...it might be the most expensive squad weve assembled....but its still way short of the other top 10 teams in the league. Its all relative . We have not had the money that relegated clubs have had , or had any of the amazing money you get from being in the
premiership. So yes...it makes common sense to think that we are in the bottom half budget. It shows how clubs are overspending , and just wont learn ! And why would our manager lie?

On 2012/13 figures (but we will have to wait about 15 months to find out from all of the audited accounts), I don't believe there are 10+ clubs with a combned higher payroll costs and net transfer spend, than us.

In the last 4 transfer and loan windows, TB has been immensely generous to Gus on top of the huge Amex income.

Cardiff and Leicester granted as obvious exceptions, and Bolton and Blackburn would still have many players on big money.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

He is buildinga dynasty based on foreign players, some of who won't be around for the long term, but if you look at the development squad and how Gus has scoured Europe for young players, especially with the academy being approved, then I am sure that he has not been given a specific timescale for promotion.

Yes it would be nice to go up and play the best in the country, we are mostly agreed that this division has some really good sides in it and we have had some cracking games...even if we haven't won them, so I think that if we didn't make it in the next two to three years the majority of fans would not be overly fussed.

We all know from the likes of Pompey, Southampton, Leeds Coventry etc that the premiership can be a poison chalice if you drop out without bouncing straight back up. Hull and Leicester have bucked the trend, but the premiership is , because of tv money and rich owners become more like a cartel and only really the top clubs, Manu, man city, tottenham, arsenal and Chelsea can compete for the honours...the rest are also rans flirting with relegation.

Leicester 'cheated' repetitively using the Administration route, to wipe out all over-trading (they had more success than their modest income and fan-base really deserved) debt; and clear the debt on the £30m stadium robbing creditors.

In the end, the football league brought in the points deduction system because of habitual offender Leicester.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If we don't have the deepest pockets I don't care. With TB we are planning long term for a sustainable future and hopefully ultimately with some local developed talent. Cardiff, Leicester, Forest, Blackburn, QPR, Soton....so glad we're none of those.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'll cut Gus some slack but the fact is no Championsip side spent more in the window on a player than we did on Ulloa. Other sides like Swansea, Hull, Bradford have also made it to the Prem and left big- spending clubs in their wake.

Feb 14, 2010
Gus has done a great job but this is a smoke screen. The reason why we are scrabbling around trying to reach the play offs instead of automatic promotion is that he has spent over £3.5 Million on CMS and Ulloa in an effort to replace Murray. Murray would have scored goals for fun in this side. I have no idea why they wouldn't match palace's offer but I doubt that palace are paying him as much as the transfer fees and wages of CMS and Ulloa. It was a false economy and the wrong footballing decision to let him go and try to replace him with CMS. But we all do make mistakes, and lets hope Ulloa can score goals and doesn't end up another forward who cant find the back of the net.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
My feeling is that next year, and the season afterward, we won't have to move that far forward in quality to be comparatively better than other sides in the division. FFP is going to be huge and yes, we are making a loss at the moment but other sides are posting the same figures and more - our position is not unique. However we do have a big stadium with big turnover in one of the more affluent areas of the country, which gives us an advantage in the near future. All this before we've tapped into the commerical value of the club with new sponsorship deals etc, which Barber has commented on as a priority. I think (assuming we don't go up this season) other clubs are going to be trimming the fat fat more ruthlessly than us, because they won't be able to afford to sustain their current levels of expenditure.

Please don't interpret this as a lack of ambition or a suggestion we shouldn't go for promotion etc. I know the losses we're posting have brought into perspective how unsustainable football is becoming and how important it will be to get promoted - but I just think that for all the issues off the field, we're still better suited to cope than other sides were we to not go up yet, and it would be possible to stand still in quality on the pitch whilst our rivals have to take a step back to cut their respective cloths. Obviously if we can move forward AND adhere to FFP then we'll be in an even stronger position, but it shouldn't be all doom and gloom.

On another point, there's a lot of contracts up this summer. We could see another cull of half a dozen or so players and a smaller squad for next season, probably with the likes of JFC stepping into the first team more regularly. I have a feeling that our steady increase of quality in our playing staff has stopped yet. Patience is a virtue.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
kevtherev is always moaning about something, usually Poyet. This above all else is my biggest bug bare about him, he is like a old woman, moan, moan, moan all the time. Instead of f***ing moaning all the time, perhaps he should have another look and ask himself, why not cheer up, have a beer, support the team and enjoy the ride??

Edited for you.:thumbsup:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
No. We would be in an automatic promotion position.

Yep, defo this.
Probably been said already, but Gus is no different to the rest of us, could always do with more money. Fortunately for him and not us, the media print it :)

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I'd rather spend a couple of more season's in this league and be ready than get dicked on every week in the premier league!

I think that our style of play is much more suited to the premiership than championship as results against prem sides have shown, barring the Liverpool love in. I think our biggest challenge is getting out the championship, not staying in the prem

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We've a top 6 squad, and we're currently 7th. Hardly a disaster with a third of the season to go, and the fact that 2 of this 'top-6- squad only signed last month and another guy's been out injured all season til now

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I would imagine that the chairman doesnt have a problem with what Gus has said... he is not moaning.. Just saying that is what we have . Thats why we had to go to Spain and get a Div 2 player. Its not rocket science to know that we cant compete with teams paying 8 mill for a striker in our league ...AND paying huge wages because of the money received from being relegated from the Premiership .
Its called being honest , and level headed....exactly the things that our chairman has !

Maybe;but I am not convinced.I still reckon Gus is moaning and perhaps getting his retaliation in first,just in case we don't get to the play-offs.It is not all about money or else anyone with a big budget would get success.That doesn't always follow.We have had a fair budget to spend and the biggest let down has been the expensive player Gus was going to build the team around,CMS.For whatever reason/s,it just hasn't happened and we can't score enough goals and so we don't win enough matches.
Will Poyet solve the problem?I don't know,but time may be running out for this season,which won't be a disaster for the club,but may be a disappointment to many.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

This is our best chance to reach the top league with the set up and squad we have right now. TB knows this, in fact everyone knows this......no more so than Gus. With that knowledge comes pressure.
I'm not sure the majority of fans are happy chilling in the championship for the next 2 or 3 years when the reality of the 'promised land' is so tangible.
What happens when we get there? I'm sure you are right and we will just be fodder for the big guns and it will be a miserable ride week after week after week where success is gauged by not getting a whipping and the whole thing turns into a depressing and turgid scramble to avoid relegation whilst our style of football that we have come to know and love is routinely stifled and suffocated by those clubs that see the likes of us hungry, flighty, plucky little clubs on a yearly basis. We know and expect all this. It's a private club that we have been excluded from for 30 years and I think most Brighton fans just want to see what it's all about.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
This is our best chance to reach the top league with the set up and squad we have right now. TB knows this, in fact everyone knows this......no more so than Gus. With that knowledge comes pressure.
I'm not sure the majority of fans are happy chilling in the championship for the next 2 or 3 years when the reality of the 'promised land' is so tangible.
What happens when we get there? I'm sure you are right and we will just be fodder for the big guns and it will be a miserable ride week after week after week where success is gauged by not getting a whipping and the whole thing turns into a depressing and turgid scramble to avoid relegation whilst our style of football that we have come to know and love is routinely stifled and suffocated by those clubs that see the likes of us hungry, flighty, plucky little clubs on a yearly basis. We know and expect all this. It's a private club that we have been excluded from for 30 years and I think most Brighton fans just want to see what it's all about.

Well said.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just looks like he's trying to whore himself around for bigger jobs again if you ask me with his comments about guaranteeing winning football if only he had a bigger budget.

This was my take on reading his remarks, looked like a veiled threat if a bigger budget was not forthcoming

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

good point, well made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here