Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus moaning about money (in the Argus) again? [merged]

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
If I was manager of this group of players sitting 4 points adrift of the playoffs, I'd be saying the same thing. I wouldn't want people to latch onto my under-performing ways.

Spot on.

The more intriguing thing about his comments in The Argus today were that we have a bottom half budget, so in actual fact Gus is overachieving.

Does anybody really believe that a budget in-line with the lower runs of a division would allow us to spend the best part of £8m on transfers and then fork out on wages on four players who have played not just in their top flights, but in Europe recently as well as two England internationals?

Not forgetting that apparently Dobbie went as we were desperate to get him off the wage bill because of what he was earning

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Blackburn have spent £11 million on two new strikers
Cardiff and Leicester both made losses double that of the Albion and have funny foreign money behind them.

Personally I am happy that we have stability under TB.

He has every right to feel that way and to be honest he has a very good point imagine we did have those budgets FFP aside we would certainly have a higher calibre of player in every dept

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I don't suppose Poyet's comments in the Argus have enamoured him to the Chairman.
Presumably Poyet was,and still is , aware of the budget for recruiting players and paying their wages and reckoned he could operate successfully within those parameters.
Of course money plays a large part in football,but there are plenty of examples where buying success has failed and prudent wise purchasing and management of players, together with tactical nous, has succeeded.
Poyet has had a fair old wedge to play with and if I were him I would shut up and get on with the job as best he can without moaning about money.Someone on here said he isn't moaning, but to all intents and purposes he is moaning.
He should use his talents to get the best out of the players we have.......and we have quite a few and try and solve the goal scoring problem together with figuring out how we might actually go on to win a game having gone behind.Doncaster is a long time ago.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The budget is irrelevant - the quality of players is the important factor. I honestly don't think there is a better group of players in this division than ours - therefore we should be right up there. But last night we were great and if we continue to play like that I will be happy. Usually we are quite negative, but last night we were so positive and as such it was really enjoyable to watch.

Irrespective, I don't believe that we are bottom-half in terms of budget.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
I just dont believe him when he says we have a lower half budget. The 3 strikers he has used in the last 3 games have a combined cost of £5.5 million. Thats just the strikers.
Like the poster above says what on earth are we paying the likes Kuszczak, Upson, Buckley etc. He cant and shouldnt complain. This surely has to be the most expensively assembled Albion squad in our history.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The budget is irrelevant - the quality of players is the important factor. I honestly don't think there is a better group of players in this division than ours - therefore we should be right up there. But last night we were great and if we continue to play like that I will be happy. Usually we are quite negative, but last night we were so positive and as such it was really enjoyable to watch.

Irrespective, I don't believe that we are bottom-half in terms of budget.

On last nights performance you may have a point, but even if we have, it's only since our little Spanish genius and Ulloa have been available and given us better balance. I think if we can turn that level of performance in for the rest of the season (big if) we will make the play offs and not only that we will be the favourites to win them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haven't made the last two games but watched Hull on Sky and kept up to date on NSC last night, but although frustrating we have generally been much the better team in most home games this season. We are creating the chances and playing good football. I'd love us to get into the playoffs but have loved watching us for the most part, yes Gus does often seem to be too cautious in home games but I certainly had no complaints when I saw last night's line up, which was more adventurous.

I can sympathise with what Gus is saying and we haven't had the best of luck IMO. We are still in touch and there are sure to be ups and downs before the end of the season. Unlike most on this thread I don't expect a top 6 place but I hope for one.

Have to say I also love Meades Balls observations..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
NSC moaning about Gus (not) moaning about budgets? Marvellous.

We're in a situation where people are guessing players' salaries; making up their own figures, and because no-one has told them they're wrong, they believe their own guesswork, and Gus is wrong...?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If Vicente had been fit all season, do you think we would be in a playoff position?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Does Gus's comment in The Argus today mean we are destined for a few more seasons in The Championship. A very true comment with regard to budgets etc but not the sort of message that ST holders and future ST holders want to hear.If our small player budget is stopping us reaching The Prem then what is the answer? If nothing is done and we stagnate then the fans will drift away.

Don't assume to speak for all ST holders or assume that we will stagnate and lose fans.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
How many individual hours has Gus spent on the training ground with CMS specifically shooting & scoring with his left foot. He should be improving our players
What tosh. How do you know what hours Gus spends on the training ground ? And as for improving our players ? ...just cast your mind back to when Gus arrived at the club . You dont think weve improved ? Some of the football we play is the best ive seen in
35 years of supporting this club !

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
I just dont believe him when he says we have a lower half budget. The 3 strikers he has used in the last 3 games have a combined cost of £5.5 million. Thats just the strikers.
Like the poster above says what on earth are we paying the likes Kuszczak, Upson, Buckley etc. He cant and shouldnt complain. This surely has to be the most expensively assembled Albion squad in our history.

Yes...it might be the most expensive squad weve assembled....but its still way short of the other top 10 teams in the league. Its all relative . We have not had the money that relegated clubs have had , or had any of the amazing money you get from being in the
premiership. So yes...it makes common sense to think that we are in the bottom half budget. It shows how clubs are overspending , and just wont learn ! And why would our manager lie?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here