Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus moaning about money (in the Argus) again? [merged]

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Uncertain how you think we let Woods slip through our hands

There wasn't much of an outcry when he returned back to his parent club though.

8 goals in 29 games for us in League 1 hardly got us excited.

12 goals in 42 games afterwards wasn't much better TBH either.

He has looked better this season, but would our fan base have been prepared to wait for him to come good?

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
..and there is the sad reality of it all, we can be on the Gus Bus as much as we like, but those at the top will not stand by and let opportunities slip by, and this season is starting to look like a missed one in my view. We could still make it of course, then all this frustration will be worth it, but I suspect its a longish shot given the inability to finish teams off when opportunity presents.

This.....

This season will be a missed opportunity if we don't make the playoffs, as I genuinely think with the quality of our squad is up there with the likes of Leicester and Cardiff...it surprised me last night that CMS didn't come on when Hosky went off...as much as I like Orlandi,I really didn't think he was the right player for the situation...as for Spanish Dave, I am one of the few that thinks he has had more average games than good ones....
We still have to play alot of teams around us, and I genuinely think we have a good chance of making the playoffs this year. The first 20mins was some of the best football I have ever witnessed in person...although the tempo dropped after we conceded until Hosky went off. Teams like Blackburn will always set their stall at the Amex and make it hard for us to find space...Vicente is th key to beat this as he Aswan genuinely awesome, and just needs Leo and CMS to be a bit more on his wavelength....

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What we were doing 3 years ago is completely irrelevant. We are now something like the 15th best supported club in the country, with a squad peppered with a level of quality not seen at this club for many a year, if ever.

The '5 year plan' is appropriate though, but that relies on steady improvement, and I'm genuinely not sure we're seeing that. It's a marginal call at best.
We are improving steadily yes, ready for the premiership ? I'm not to sure but I wouldn't mind the ride if it happened.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
What has he actually ever said? More unsubstantiated bullshit about how our budget is about 15th in the league? I simply don't believe that at all.

Totally agree, has Gus had a look at the books of the other teams? I wish he'd just crack on and stop worrying about other teams budgets. Blackburn spent £8million on Rhodes, but they are shit, so it's not all about money. Blackpool got promoted and spent f*** all. We've got a great squad that should be in the play-offs. How many players of the teams above us would we want in our team - my guess is not too many

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
How does the low budget talk stack up with FFP and our running loss? The higher budget teams can't have a bigger income than us can they? Are they just running a bigger loss and not worrying about FFP on the belief that they will have the Prem budget next year?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i stand to be corrected, but i didnt think the teams above us other than Cardiff and Leicester has particularly large spends? and a few teams which have spent money and have parachute payments to boost budgets are below us. so im not sure this budget argument really washes much anymore.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
..and there is the sad reality of it all, we can be on the Gus Bus as much as we like, but those at the top will not stand by and let opportunities slip by, and this season is starting to look like a missed one in my view. We could still make it of course, then all this frustration will be worth it, but I suspect its a longish shot given the inability to finish teams off when opportunity presents.

If I invested in a multi-million pound IT system for my company, I would expect to see significant improvement to running costs, resource and productivity.

If I invest £10 million into a football team's playing budget, then I would expect to see the team and it's performances improve...Otherwise the team stagnates, the club stagnates and no decent players want to go to a club with little or no ambition.

It's nothing to do with it being a "sad reaility"(and sorry but I don't mean that to sound vindictive), but effective business management....I guess the other scenario is that if you pay for a Vauxhall Corsa you know what you're going to get. However, if you invest in a Audi A3, you expect it to be better than the Corsa (personal opnions aside). Its the same as footballers...We've invested in very very good players all of which I believe are capable of playing Premier League football...These players are better than we've done for many many years and so, I don't think that its unreasonable for people to demand better results and performances.

IF and it's a big IF, but IF we play like we did last night for the rest of the season, then I'm utterly convinced that we will win promotion either this year or next year.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
This.....

This season will be a missed opportunity if we don't make the playoffs, as I genuinely think with the quality of our squad is up there with the likes of Leicester and Cardiff...it surprised me last night that CMS didn't come on when Hosky went off...as much as I like Orlandi,I really didn't think he was the right player for the situation...as for Spanish Dave, I am one of the few that thinks he has had more average games than good ones....
We still have to play alot of teams around us, and I genuinely think we have a good chance of making the playoffs this year. The first 20mins was some of the best football I have ever witnessed in person...although the tempo dropped after we conceded until Hosky went off. Teams like Blackburn will always set their stall at the Amex and make it hard for us to find space...Vicente is th key to beat this as he Aswan genuinely awesome, and just needs Leo and CMS to be a bit more on his wavelength....

agreed re comment 'first 20 minutes was some of best football witnessed' but how many should/could we have been up after that ? It's that killer stroke that we lack imo, which is why we ain't going nowhere further in the near future.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Gus in the Argus

I keep seeing this parroted, please can you show me a direct quote where Bloom has said this?

I agree with a lot of the comments here- I fear that this is a season lost rather than consolidation and improvement, and could just as easily see us losing important players and manager over the close season rather than getting stronger for another push. Maybe Poyet will think to himself he's taken as us as far as he can with the experience in the team at the moment and we still can't close out games.

I'm being very pessimistic but all I see at the moment is Vicente, Upson, Bridge and potentially Bridcutt leaving, all quality players with massive experience and how are we going to replace them as well as generally improve the squad overall.

We will lose a lot of the League 1 players at least which might free up wages.

For a start, bridges wages would free up money, put together with money for Bridcutt and reinvest the money in other players. The point is that with a big stadium and FFP we are in a good position, a lot of clubs are going to have to cut the cloth in the coming seasons and we are a club that is growing. I just do not see what this holy grail of PL is all about. This league has some great teams in it and good football at an affordable price. Yes I would love to get into the PL one day, but in the meantime I would love us to be a competitive club in this league, and we are. I thought the game last night highlighted what we are about. The way Vicente and Orlandi play is a joy to watch. Lets enjoy the football, and those that only want to support us if only we can get in the PL this season or next, go back to supporting Chelsea or Man U

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Gus is always moaning about something, usually money. This above all else is my biggest bug bare about him, he is like a old woman, moan, moan, moan all the time. When he has had everything he has asked for, just look at our squad list. Instead of f***ing moaning all the time, perhaps he should have another look at the Hull game and ask himself, what was so wrong with that performance, against the team now in second, that he felt the need to make three changes to a winning side???

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The amount you spend on players, in any league, doesn't guarantee anything. Of course it gives you a better chance, but it all depends how wisely you've spent and how the players actually perform.

I know we're no longer allowed to make any reference to "how far we've come", "Withdean", "The Priestfield" or any or the rest of it, but my frame of reference as a Brighton fans includes all these things. I don't support a club with a long history of top-flight football or big-name players.

So for people to talk about "stagnation" or "a wasted season" strikes me as pretty odd, especially after a performance like last night's. I've never seen Brighton play so well, so often, and that's my reward for following the club through the dark times. If we don't make the premiership this season, I'll live with that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If I was manager of this group of players sitting 4 points adrift of the playoffs, I'd be saying the same thing. I wouldn't want people to latch onto my under-performing ways.

Hits nail on the head.

Fans have shifted their position of last August of seeing us heading for positions 2 to 4, based on the squad quality. To now "never expected a top 6 and its a long term project".

A squad containing Bruno, Hammond, Bridge, Kuszchak, Orlandi, Lopez, LuaLua, Bridcutt, Vicente, Buckley, Crofts, Dobbie and the expensive CMS ..... have very few wins, a lack of goals scored, and an unexpectedly low league position.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Gus is always moaning about something, usually money. This above all else is my biggest bug bare about him, he is like a old woman, moan, moan, moan all the time. When he has had everything he has asked for, just look at our squad list. Instead of f***ing moaning all the time, perhaps he should have another look at the Hull game and ask himself, what was so wrong with that performance, against the team now in second, that he felt the need to make three changes to a winning side???

we didn't loose , he went for the win obviously.........they were unbeaten and hadn't conceeded a goal in four .......we should have murdered hull......... we're still in there ......has he done your mum or something..??

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The amount you spend on players, in any league, doesn't guarantee anything. Of course it gives you a better chance, but it all depends how wisely you've spent and how the players actually perform.

Research into final league positions vs wages in English football since 1974 until 2010 (I think, possible 2011) has shown that 90% of where a team finishes is dependent on where their wages sit in that particular table.

What you spend on transfer fees however does not seem to impact final positions anywhere near as strongly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How does the low budget talk stack up with FFP and our running loss? The higher budget teams can't have a bigger income than us can they? Are they just running a bigger loss and not worrying about FFP on the belief that they will have the Prem budget next year?

Cardiff and Leicester do not have higher income than us.

Their backers have taken the punt to head for the PL right now, before the parachuted clubs coming down from 2014 arrive with 50% even more cash to outgun us.

They are making bigger losses than even us, but out £8m repetitive losses are also outlawed soon.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... and no doubt Watford one way or another based on their paltry crowds, have got their with mega wages, transfers fees to accumulate classy squads, and then huge losses .... taking the punt now to ascend.

but Watford dont have mega wages or transfer fees. they are owned by a group who buy cheap and promote youth and their acedemy players, albeit playing them abroad. they turn a profit iirc.

the way we are going with signings, we'd do very well to tie up with a Spanish La Liga club to take on half a dozen players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Research into final league positions vs wages in English football since 1974 until 2010 (I think, possible 2011) has shown that 90% of where a team finishes is dependent on where their wages sit in that particular table.

What you spend on transfer fees however does not seem to impact final positions anywhere near as strongly.

Absolutely true. Strong correlation.

Transfer fees on their own too sporadic due to:

Quality players acquired on a free transfer or cheap coming to the end of a contract elsewhere.

Don't reflect mega contracts given to retain existing quality players.

Payroll cost is the indicator.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
So for people to talk about "stagnation" or "a wasted season" strikes me as pretty odd, especially after a performance like last night's. I've never seen Brighton play so well, so often, and that's my reward for following the club through the dark times. If we don't make the premiership this season, I'll live with that.

Finally some sense!! We are clearly and obviously improving... Sure, if we don't make the play-offs but finish higher than last season I'll be disappointed but not looking at this season as a failure. Besides, you could tell by Christmas that this stage 2 out of 3 for us in the Championship i.e. Losing less games but not winning as many as we would hope. Stage 3 is losing the same amount of games or less, drawing less games and winning more. That, to me is next season.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
we didn't loose , he went for the win obviously.........they were unbeaten and hadn't conceeded a goal in four .......we should have murdered hull......... we're still in there ......has he done your mum or something..??

He changed a winning side and replaced a striker with a midfielder, when we was 1-0 down. Very strange decisions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Totally agree, has Gus had a look at the books of the other teams? I wish he'd just crack on and stop worrying about other teams budgets. Blackburn spent £8million on Rhodes, but they are shit, so it's not all about money. Blackpool got promoted and spent f*** all. We've got a great squad that should be in the play-offs. How many players of the teams above us would we want in our team - my guess is not too many

You have a point.

I cannot understand how dull Steve Bruce, with a dull looking Hull team (about 3 very average ex PL players in there), have accumulated so many points compared to our star studded squad?

I hate to say it, but in the transfer market and in tactics, is he a better manager?

Similarly with CP, their transfer spend and wages are tiny compared to ours, but the have scored so many goals and had more wins. How?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here