Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus moaning about money (in the Argus) again? [merged]

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
“Maybe we are over-achieving when you are in the bottom half of the budget and play the way we play. Everybody likes Barcelona and Spain but we don’t play like them or copy them, because we don’t have those players.

“But we have a style for the rest of our lives, for as long as the chairman is alive, and it’s unique. The rest? I don’t care how they play.

“You give me the budget of Cardiff, Leicester or Blackburn Rovers and I’ll play this way and beat you week in week out. If not I will give you my money back at the end of the year.

“I promise you, I’d put my contract on it, because it’s not difficult, it’s about quality.”

Blackburn have spent £11 million on two new strikers
Cardiff and Leicester both made losses double that of the Albion and have funny foreign money behind them.

Personally I am happy that we have stability under TB.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don't think he's moaning. He's probably right, isn't he? If we'd spent £11 million on strikers we'd be in the automatic places.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yep. I don't think he's had the benefit of Paul Barbour's Financial Fair Play lecture.

D

Deleted member 22389

Blackburn have spent £11 million on two new strikers
Cardiff and Leicester both made losses double that of the Albion and have funny foreign money behind them.

Personally I am happy that we have stability under TB.

Exactly. I want a club to support at the end of the day. I'm waiting for these foreign investors to move on, get bored and put their money in the next big thing. When they do football will become a lot fairer again, and the clubs like you mention above will be up shit creek with a paddle.

I also think the players we have are good enough. We don't need to spend any more money. Blackburn got screwed spending 8 million on Jordan Rhodes.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Re: Gus moaning about money again?

I don't think he's moaning. He's probably right, isn't he? If we'd spent £11 million on strikers we'd be in the automatic places.

I also don't think it's a moan, just pragmatic reality.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

He may have made the odd transfer blunder or two (eg £3.25m for CMS), but all managers have.

Cardiff, Leicester, and no doubt Watford one way or another based on their paltry crowds, have got their with mega wages, transfers fees to accumulate classy squads, and then huge losses .... taking the punt now to ascend.

The over achievers are Palace. Millwall were, but since the loss of Woods, are falling back.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Gus moaning about money again?

How many individual hours has Gus spent on the training ground with CMS specifically shooting & scoring with his left foot. He should be improving our players

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I get what he is saying. I just dont think it helps perception when the very thing we need is a goalscorer and the two we had, Murray and Woods, we let slip through our hands.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Statistically the last 30 years have shown that teams will roughly finish the season in line with where their wage bill sits in context with other teams.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Gus in the Argus

Does Gus's comment in The Argus today mean we are destined for a few more seasons in The Championship. A very true comment with regard to budgets etc but not the sort of message that ST holders and future ST holders want to hear.If our small player budget is stopping us reaching The Prem then what is the answer? If nothing is done and we stagnate then the fans will drift away.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If I was manager of this group of players sitting 4 points adrift of the playoffs, I'd be saying the same thing. I wouldn't want people to latch onto my under-performing ways.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Bearing in mind our history of how many times we have been in the top 2 flights I hardly think a few seasons in the Championship is stagnating!

I feel we need to build stronger foundations for a couple more years before we want the Premiership.

I know you can't turn it down if it arrives but I think when you get there you want to stay there and we need to be ready.

Promotion in season 2014-15 for me.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If I was manager of this group of players sitting 4 points adrift of the playoffs, I'd be saying the same thing. I wouldn't want people to latch onto my under-performing ways.

This could be the nail that has had its head bashed,.... I believe the 'tinkerman' tag is appropriate here, I think he has had a good enough squad this season, and he should be applauded for attracting them into the Albion,... but... his consistent chopping and changing is not helping one bit,... I was for example, staggered to see Spanish Dave and Orlandi benched last night, it didnt seem to have any logic behind it. Make way for the dagger by all means, but why bench both of them after what I saw as a very decent performance against Hull.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
One of the problems with the 'lets get promoted in a season or two' argument is that, well, it isn't just up to us. Who knows how competitive the league will be next season, or the season after?

I am not saying we have a divine right to expect promotion, or that I would be hugely disappointed if, as looks increasingly likely, we miss out on the play offs.

I just don't think people should take for granted the fact we can expect any better in the next couple of seasons.

Nobody knows which players will leave us, come in, join other teams in this division, come down from the Premier League etc.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
....... staggered to see Spanish Dave and Orlandi benched last night, it didnt seem to have any logic behind it. Make way for the dagger by all means, but why bench both of them after what I saw as a very decent performance against Hull.

This. a thousand times this.

Spanish Dave should be the first name on the team sheet, IMO

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
We're certainly not going to get promoted in the near future, not on the inconsistent form we've shown this season, regardless of our current league placing. We have to learn to take chances and hang on when ahead. A great chance went begging last night, but how often have we said that this season ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here