Gus is worth £1.2 million? Now linked with Fulham job

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
According to Brighton boss Poyet shock Fulham candidate | Premiership News | tribalfootball.com Gus, not surprisingly, is linked with the Fulham job & has a £1.2 million buy out clause.

Brighton boss Gus Poyet is a shock candidate for the Fulham job.

The Sunday Mirror says after leading Brighton to the League One title the former Chelsea star’s managerial talents have been widely admired. He is the shock contender on the Craven Cottage shortlist to succeed Mark Hughes, who quit last week.

Senior Fulham officials have been reviewing their options since Hughes’ shock exit. Among the obvious candidates are the out of work quartet of Martin Jol, Steve McClaren, Alan Curbishley and Martin O’Neill.

Poyet is under contract with the Seagulls and has a £1.2million get-out compensation clause in his contract.

I can't imagine the buy out clause would be common knowledge, but you never know with agents.

I had a look on the Sunday Mirror website & their latest Fulham news (from the 3rd June) is that Martin Jol is the favorite & there is no mention of Gus, so I guess whoever wrote the article buys the Sunday Mirror!!

I could see Fulham being a tempting offer as managers seem to be given time there & they don't seem to have interference from above, but then it's hardly the out of this world offer he said it would take to get him to leave.

Legoman

legoman
Jan 28, 2010
peacehaven
He is worth more than that and no i dont think he will go. He gets linked with everything and he has only had one full season as a manager.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hardly Premiersh1te quality and would be a ridiculous gamble by Fulham - total non story

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A step up for him would be Chelsea or a top Spanish side. He's had a brilliant year and a half with a League One side, hardly a huge recommendation for a Premiership side though, even one that has survival as it's main priority. Can't see Al-Fayad being too happy to fork out a seven figure compensation fee either. With all due respect to Gus there are better qualified people looking for work.

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
A step up for him would be Chelsea or a top Spanish side. He's had a brilliant year and a half with a League One side, hardly a huge recommendation for a Premiership side though, even one that has survival as it's main priority. Can't see Al-Fayad being too happy to fork out a seven figure compensation fee either. With all due respect to Gus there are better qualified people looking for work.
Fulham wouldn't be a step-up from Brighton?

You have lost it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

You have lost it.

If you knew what you were talking about (and being a Palace fan you obviously don't) Gus has said he would only move on for a 'Special' team. By that he doesn't mean a team with 'special' fans like Palace but a big team such as Chelsea (who were interested in him last season as assistant manager) which Fulham are not. Unlike Palace we no longer need to gamble on has been ex players, unlike Palace we have long term potential not hopeless dreams like the now very quiet South London stadium move. A ground share with Gillingham is more likely, like Palace they need money.

macky

Dec 28, 2004

You have lost it.

Well it all depends on how you look at it Fulham have hit their peak Brighton are on the up Plus i think Gus has it pretty much his way here Cant see that being the case at fulham

macky

Dec 28, 2004
and of course who would want to have to pass a peado everyday on the way to work

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If you are going to start talking about Gus for a job like that, after only a season or so as a proper manager, then why not Paul Tisdale at Exter...who has in reality achieved more with less, taking his team from the Conference to the First Division.

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
these stories are going to pop up all preseason its just paper talk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus go to a club who sticks up a statue of Michael Jackson and the chairman tells fans to f*** off elsewhere if they don't like it? Nah, he ain't gonna go work for Al Fayed. Fayed is a deluded loose cannon.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm sure he would be flattered and even tempted to see what was on offer - in some ways Fulham are what we aspire to be. However they are not necessarily so exciting a prospect that Gus would abandon his project here.

If he was invited to talk to them I think I would be concerned but ultimately I think he will stay for now

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
clutching

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
straws

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports