Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Greg Clarke FA education 101.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another honest question. I am of a generation that was taught at school to use the polite term 'coloured people' rather than 'black men' or any of the even more derogatory alternatives. I have always tried to keep up with the changes, although like many I have used an out of date term accidentally, but I don't think I've slipped too often; my heart's in the right place.

What I want to know is, who is it decides when a polite, non-derogatory expression becomes unacceptable, an insult, and even to some people racist? And why do they need to keep changing it?

There’s a job going at the FA for you!

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
If it was just the one comment, for which he apologised, I'd be with you totally, but it wasn't. It was one of about four that didn't reflect that he is the man to represent the top of the game in this country.

Must have been worse than the short clip I saw over here. Sounds like he fully deserved it then.

Never liked him anyway.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Think there is a lot of difference between miss choice of words and being racist or homophobic etc and conflating these so that they are seen as the same is not helpful and a lot of older generation just turn off at this point. Using words wrongly doesn't help but its the actions behind them that really matter. In this individuals case it looks like his main problem was that his whole level of thinking was inappropriate to the level of the job. Someone should have identified that a while back, he has stayed where he is because and a few others haver benefited from cronyism and that is what should be dealt with.

Another poster on here said it will only be solved when we stop referencing people by colour. Identifying by colour is not the issue again it is the reasoning behind it. So if the majority of the IT people in FA are Asian and not from a West Indian background accept the distinction that was made, then develop an understanding of why and then fix the problem.

Jan 30, 2008
Another honest question. I am of a generation that was taught at school to use the polite term 'coloured people' rather than 'black men' or any of the even more derogatory alternatives. I have always tried to keep up with the changes, although like many I have used an out of date term accidentally, but I don't think I've slipped too often; my heart's in the right place.

What I want to know is, who is it decides when a polite, non-derogatory expression becomes unacceptable, an insult, and even to some people racist? And why do they need to keep changing it?

They don't, a classic case of a few right ons telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing, Football's a circus bring on the clowns
Regards
DF

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They don't, a classic case of a few right ons telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing, Football's a circus bring on the clowns
Regards
DF
I was hoping for some serious answers, not conspiracy theories - and I didn't want to tip this thread towards the bear pit.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
50 posts in, this thread is going surprisingly well.

Are the anti-PC (“the world’s gone mad”) brigade circling, waiting for everyone else to disappear at bedtime?:lolol:

probably be all over Murdoch FM (talk radio) tomorrow, I bet Laurence Fox is chomping at the bit....

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
As a man approaching sixty years of age , engaging daily with the general public in my job, I often have to stop and think about how to address people correctly.

I must appear to them as stupid as mid sentence I sometimes hesitate and think "what is the acceptable term to use here" - sometimes it just doesn't come to mind easily. I have sympathy with Greg Clarke

Jan 30, 2008
As a man approaching sixty years of age , engaging daily with the general public in my job, I often have to stop and think about how to address people correctly.

I must appear to them as stupid as mid sentence I sometimes hesitate and think "what is the acceptable term to use here" - sometimes it just doesn't come to mind easily. I have sympathy with Greg Clarke
Millions of people are probably thinking what has he done wrong
Regards
DF

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I’m being presumptive now but I assume you’re not the head of a massive, influential, national organisation? An organisation supposedly representing and looking out for minority groups and promoting equality throughout?

It is astonishing he thinks these things in this day and age, let alone says them out loud. No sympathy for him at all, he should have been fired before he quit.

Jan 30, 2008
I’m being presumptive now but I assume you’re not the head of a massive, influential, national organisation? An organisation supposedly representing and looking out for minority groups and promoting equality throughout?

It is astonishing he thinks these things in this day and age, let alone says them out loud. No sympathy for him at all, he should have been fired before he quit.

Millions of other people do ,he's been singled out by a few right ons from the PC brigade
Regards
DF

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think there is a lot of difference between miss choice of words and being racist or homophobic etc and conflating these so that they are seen as the same is not helpful and a lot of older generation just turn off at this point. Using words wrongly doesn't help but its the actions behind them that really matter. In this individuals case it looks like his main problem was that his whole level of thinking was inappropriate to the level of the job. Someone should have identified that a while back, he has stayed where he is because and a few others haver benefited from cronyism and that is what should be dealt with.

Another poster on here said it will only be solved when we stop referencing people by colour. Identifying by colour is not the issue again it is the reasoning behind it. So if the majority of the IT people in FA are Asian and not from a West Indian background accept the distinction that was made, then develop an understanding of why and then fix the problem.

.... if it is a problem? Just asking.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
probably be all over Murdoch FM (talk radio) tomorrow, I bet Laurence Fox is chomping at the bit....

Talk Radio is a pile of shite. I tuned in for the first time recently hoping for LBC-esque debates and presenter opinions. It was comprised a couple of childish presenters, laughing at their own in jokes. More Murdoch NOTW than The Times.

Pathetic, never again.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
"If you go to the IT department of the FA, there's a lot more South Asians than there are Afro-Caribbeans. They have different career interests," said Clarke.

This is worse IMO. It wasn't a one word slip of the tongue, it shows a deep rooted prejudice against people of different ethnicities.

Is his statement incorrect?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yes,this just highlights we need to get people in the top positions at the FA who actually understand these issues and are not just going through the motions of appearing to understand them to keep their jobs.
Gay players that want to come out, players that are being racially abused ,female players experiencing sexism,they all need to know that they have genuine support of the people at the top,not just a group of old white blokes from a different era who just appear to be going through the motions to tick a box to comply, but in reality thinking something different.

I retired a couple of years ago and like Greg Clarke, I worked for a big institution. I am older than he is, so you might describe me as an old white bloke from a different era. However that big institution I worked for made pretty damn sure that I did my diversity training every quarter and there's no way I would have said or thought what you have put in your second paragraph. But the training also left me very cautious about my words in the company of people I didn't know, just in case a word or phrase in common use at some stage in my life slipped out and offended someone. I wonder if the FA is equally rigorous about diversity training and if Clarke would have done it if they had. Aside from the issue in hand, a former womens footballer in America commenting on TV referred to Greg Clarke and Dan Ashworth in the same sentence and I wondered what Dan had to do with the debate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here