Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Greg Clarke FA education 101.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can't remember what Corbyn said that was racists or sexist. In fact, I only remember the 40 years of campaigning for equality throughout his life..

Corbyn is damned by his inaction to stop racism against Jews. He turned a blind eye and didn't act, he was complicit with the racists. Starmer acted well when he chucked him out of Labour as racism is unacceptable whichever race is involved.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's a much broader issue as to what is and what is not offensive. Your relative is I suspect not racist, neither do I believe Greg Clarke is that way inclined, although his words today suggest he's not fit for the job.

Clarke is 62, Parry is 65, Gordon Taylor is 75, perhaps having such a huge gap in terms of both generations and background means that football authorities are too distanced from those who are most important in the game, the players, who are the ones on the receiving end of racist and other types of abuse . The way forward is communication, education, information.

I agree with you, absolutely.

My relative simply doesn't encounter many people outside his bubble and, rather like the limited age and background of the men in charge of football, this leaves him oblivious to certain issues.

My amusement at his faux pas was malicious rather than collegiate, if you know what I mean. He's learned his lesson, for sure.

All the best :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am a similar age, but would disagree that it was not acceptable. I think it is only the last 20 or so years deemed a bad term.

I have an honest question, if 'coloured' is unacceptable, why is 'people of colour' okay?

I thought person of colour was unacceptable as well?

Suggesting whites as separate from everyone else, who are lumped together as an homogenous grouping.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Yes,this just highlights we need to get people in the top positions at the FA who actually understand these issues and are not just going through the motions of appearing to understand them to keep their jobs.
Gay players that want to come out, players that are being racially abused ,female players experiencing sexism,they all need to know that they have genuine support of the people at the top,not just a group of old white blokes from a different era who just appear to be going through the motions to tick a box to comply, but in reality thinking something different.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I thought person of colour was unacceptable as well?

Suggesting whites as separate from everyone else, who are lumped together as an homogenous grouping.

Oh, maybe it is unacceptable. I have heard Americans using the term recently, some of them black. Is 'black' okay?

I certainly don't want to offend anyone, whichever race they may be, we are all human after all. But I must confess I avoid using any sort of term usually in case I get it wrong. It is slightly confusing.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Maybe they should discuss it with the NAACP.

ed4caa21-a1f7-4c74-b883-a687bfe3fa52.sized-1000x1000.JPG

I have some sympathy with Clarke on this. If it's true he's spent a lot of time in the US, then I can understand his slip.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh, maybe it is unacceptable. I have heard Americans using the term recently, some of them black. Is 'black' okay?

I certainly don't want to offend anyone, whichever race they may be, we are all human after all. But I must confess I avoid using any sort of term usually in case I get it wrong. It is slightly confusing.

I was going to say that, it varies between western nations.

African American is fine in the US, whilst African British if it was ever used for every black person here would go down like a lead balloon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Personally I see nothing wrong with saying girls aged 5-7 don’t like being goalkeepers with the football kicked at their face and body. Just a fact isn’t it ?

I can tell you now that boys aged 5-7 don't like footballs kicked at their face and body either. In fact, thinking of my own kids when they were young, my daughter had a much higher pain threshold than my son.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Maybe they should discuss it with the NAACP.

View attachment 130336

I have some sympathy with Clarke on this. If it's true he's spent a lot of time in the US, then I can understand his slip.

If it was just the one comment, for which he apologised, I'd be with you totally, but it wasn't. It was one of about four that didn't reflect that he is the man to represent the top of the game in this country.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am a similar age, but would disagree that it was not acceptable. I think it is only the last 20 or so years deemed a bad term.

I have an honest question, if 'coloured' is unacceptable, why is 'people of colour' okay?
Another honest question. I am of a generation that was taught at school to use the polite term 'coloured people' rather than 'black men' or any of the even more derogatory alternatives. I have always tried to keep up with the changes, although like many I have used an out of date term accidentally, but I don't think I've slipped too often; my heart's in the right place.

What I want to know is, who is it decides when a polite, non-derogatory expression becomes unacceptable, an insult, and even to some people racist? And why do they need to keep changing it?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wouldn’t be surprised if he did it on purpose , he’s been looking to leave for a while I think .

Have you any evidence that he wanted to leave? And if he did, all he had to do was resign, why create an issue that will leave a stain on your character just so you can leave a job that you had the choice to leave anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here