Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Greg Clarke FA education 101.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He's gone.

But I was going to start a thread about this. He's 63 and I'm 65. In the past, and that's a long time ago, the word coloured was the normal word to use. It was not racist I don't think, it was the word used instead of black. Whilst I do not use that word any more, under pressure in front of a group of MP's maybe I could slip into old talk. He did go on to talk about Asians I believe and many of the things he said were not right in this day and in no way am I defending him, other than it could so easily be anyone aged 60 or over.
Waiting to be shot down but hope someone will defend me.

He said it, shouldn't have said it, apologised when pressed on the matter and for me that should be enough.

However, his following comments about people from Asia, gay players and women suggest he's living in another era, and that's before his general incompetence (see his performance before DCMS in relation to Bury).

Masters and Parry will be mightily relieved as it takes the pressure off them and the demand from DCMS that they summarise on a weekly basis the steps taken to come to an agreement in relation to the EFL bailout.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well, Im sure he will get his penalty (death threats, people harassing his family on social media etc.), learn from it and stay quiet the next time (if there is one).

Im saving my lynching pole for someone with actual bad intentions.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
My best mate is black and he once said to me " what is it with you white c***s"

when you're ill you turn green
when you're cold you turn blue
when you're hot you turn pink/red
when you're scared you turn white
when you're embarrassed you turn bright red

when I'm ill I'm black
when I'm cold I'm black
when I'm hot I'm black
when I'm scared I'm black
when I'm embarrassed I'm black

and you white c***s call us coloured.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Seems a harsh decision, can't they refer it to VAR?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He's gone.

But I was going to start a thread about this. He's 63 and I'm 65. In the past, and that's a long time ago, the word coloured was the normal word to use. It was not racist I don't think, it was the word used instead of black. Whilst I do not use that word any more, under pressure in front of a group of MP's maybe I could slip into old talk. He did go on to talk about Asians I believe and many of the things he said were not right in this day and in no way am I defending him, other than it could so easily be anyone aged 60 or over.
Waiting to be shot down but hope someone will defend me.

I think you’re right, simply a middle age bloke who made a mistake in the heat of the moment, using a term probably ingrained in his brain from years past. Only he would know if he’s actually racist.

I’m not excusing the blunder, it was insensitive and with his key role in a national sport, I suppose he did the right thing in resigning.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would have thought that being aware of inclusivity and diversity was an essential part of that job ?

If he's not capable of the basic skills required for his job, he is incompetent and has to go :shrug:

He did the right thing by resigning.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He said it, shouldn't have said it, apologised when pressed on the matter and for me that should be enough.

However, his following comments about people from Asia, gay players and women suggest he's living in another era, and that's before his general incompetence (see his performance before DCMS in relation to Bury).

Masters and Parry will be mightily relieved as it takes the pressure off them and the demand from DCMS that they summarise on a weekly basis the steps taken to come to an agreement in relation to the EFL bailout.

This. When I read the report on the Beeb it only made real reference to him using the term 'coloured'. An apology was given and should have been accepted however the further references show a pattern. Each one on it's own could be forgivable (although none should be repeated) but under the accumulation of fouls rule, he had to go.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

@El Pres, whilst you’re on, do have a strong view either way, on whether the government should secure a £250m bailout to the EFL?

In a passing visit to Talksport this morning, Simon Jordan was on one of his raised voice monologues (no one else was allowed an opinion), that they should. One of his arguments was this COULD NEVER, EVER cost the taxpayer/public purse one penny.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Whilst that language is wholly unacceptable these days, there probably is a generational gap. However for someone of his position to be that oblivious to what is and isn't acceptable these days frankly isn't good enough.

If the FA want to be seen as modernising the game and fighting back against discrimination then a chairman who makes comments such as this should have no place the in FA

You're right, but that's the ****ing problem with football and sports administration... the rule-makers and administrators are from a different generation and should be nowhere near modern professional sport. Give Megan Rapinoe the gig. She'd stir the old ****ers up.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
My best mate is black and he once said to me " what is it with you white c***s"

when you're ill you turn green
when you're cold you turn blue
when you're hot you turn pink/red
when you're scared you turn white
when you're embarrassed you turn bright red

when I'm ill I'm black
when I'm cold I'm black
when I'm hot I'm black
when I'm scared I'm black
when I'm embarrassed I'm black

and you white c***s call us coloured.

That’s very funny .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Abhorrent as the "coloured" remark was, I think the references to women's football and gays are even worse.

Women's football is still fighting against prejudice (as witnessed by the appalling decision on academies) and there's clearly a reluctance by gay footballers to come out. These sort of observations by someone so senior are dreadful and speak volumes of the attitudes within football in general.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
@El Pres, whilst you’re on, do have a strong view either way, on whether the government should secure a £250m bailout to the EFL?

In a passing visit to Talksport this morning, Simon Jordan was on one of his raised voice monologues (no one else was allowed an opinion), that they should. One of his arguments was this COULD NEVER, EVER cost the taxpayer/public purse one penny.

I think Rick Parry's repeated mantra that the EFL require £250m is wrong. A few months ago (before it was known he was working alongside his former employers at Liverpool who gave him a £3m payoff when he left) he kept saying he was opposed to a begging bowl culture.

I would certainly support funding for League One and Two, but the Championship is a different beast. There are clubs there who already receive parachute payments (Bournemouth, Stoke, Swansea, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Norwich, Watford), there are clubs who have sold players to the Premier League for eight figure sums (Bournemouth, Brentford, Birmingham), there are clubs who have sold their grounds for tens of millions (Reading, Birmingham, Sheffield Wed and Derby), some with billionaire owners (Barnsley, Stoke etc) and there are clubs who flout company law by refusing to publish their accounts (Sheffield Wednesday, Derby).

Other Championship clubs (Luton, Millwall, Rotherham) are more deserving etc, and I'm more supportive of their plight. Rick Parry said that means testing shouldn't come into it, although means testing was the reason why certain clubs were invited to Project Big Picture.

An additional £100m should be enough.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think Rick Parry's repeated mantra that the EFL require £250m is wrong. A few months ago (before it was known he was working alongside his former employers at Liverpool who gave him a £3m payoff when he left) he kept saying he was opposed to a begging bowl culture.

I would certainly support funding for League One and Two, but the Championship is a different beast. There are clubs there who already receive parachute payments (Bournemouth, Stoke, Swansea, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Norwich, Watford), there are clubs who have sold players to the Premier League for eight figure sums (Bournemouth, Brentford, Birmingham), there are clubs who have sold their grounds for tens of millions (Reading, Birmingham, Sheffield Wed and Derby), some with billionaire owners (Barnsley, Stoke etc) and there are clubs who flout company law by refusing to publish their accounts (Sheffield Wednesday, Derby).

Other Championship clubs (Luton, Millwall, Rotherham) are more deserving etc, and I'm more supportive of their plight. Rick Parry said that means testing shouldn't come into it, although means testing was the reason why certain clubs were invited to Project Big Picture.

An additional £100m should be enough.

Thank you for replying.

Without your knowledge, I’ve basically said the same about the Championship throughout. Mel Morris and Chansiri thought nothing of spending sums on a different level to TB (2015 to 2017) on fees, eye watering payroll costs by choice, as they both tried to cheat their way to the EPL. As we know, later ‘mitigated’ by contrived stadium sales to themselves or another group company.

I wouldn’t want to see them get one penny of EPL or government cash.

Your point about parachute money is vindicated by the clubs occupying 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Championship just now. Norwich, Bmuff and Watford all set fair, as Reading are unravelling.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm in my mid 50s and can't remember a time when the term coloured was acceptable. My late father in law used it but I suspect it was mainly to wind me up.

I'm only 62 but I remember when it was seen as a great leap forward :mad:

One of my relatives, who is far to the left of me, used the term a couple of years ago and we gleefully gave him absolute pelters :lolol:

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
So for clarity, what is the correct terminology to be used then ?

Personally I see nothing wrong with saying girls aged 5-7 don’t like being goalkeepers with the football kicked at their face and body. Just a fact isn’t it ?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I don't think he wanted the job any more. So he made an obviously inappropriate comment which meant he had to resign. I presume he's got himself a nice payoff as part of an agreement to resign before they fire him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm only 62 but I remember when it was seen as a great leap forward :mad:

One of my relatives, who is far to the left of me, used the term a couple of years ago and we gleefully gave him absolute pelters :lolol:

There's a much broader issue as to what is and what is not offensive. Your relative is I suspect not racist, neither do I believe Greg Clarke is that way inclined, although his words today suggest he's not fit for the job.

Clarke is 62, Parry is 65, Gordon Taylor is 75, perhaps having such a huge gap in terms of both generations and background means that football authorities are too distanced from those who are most important in the game, the players, who are the ones on the receiving end of racist and other types of abuse . The way forward is communication, education, information.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think the pace at which people learn these things differs. About 15 years ago I innocently use the term 'half caste' to describe someone of mixed race. It was a hangover from the indoctrination of my youth. If a person doesn't know then they just, well, don't know. They need educating.

If people use the terms with intent then that is another matter.

While there is no defence of the use of the word “coloured”, other than ignorance, I have recently come across the fact there are alternative terms now for “mixed race” - on the Brighton and Hove fostering panel I now sit on we use the terms mixed heritage, dual heritage and biracial, instead of mixed race - I’m guessing mixed race’s days are numbered too...

Language changes, some people apparently don’t...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My best mate is black and he once said to me " what is it <snip>.

That made me laugh, but stand by for a clueless reply from a usual suspect.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm in my mid 50s and can't remember a time when the term coloured was acceptable. My late father in law used it but I suspect it was mainly to wind me up.

I am a similar age, but would disagree that it was not acceptable. I think it is only the last 20 or so years deemed a bad term.

I have an honest question, if 'coloured' is unacceptable, why is 'people of colour' okay?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here