Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great first for Brighton. Clean drug user rooms.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And what is all this reputation going to do for Albion fans? Have they considered that?? Will we now have to endure narcophobic chants as well?

True. But Newcastle fans are no stranger to horse either. I saw a fan was in court recently for taking a hit.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
This is no solution to the problem. No one is forced to take drugs, education and information is widely available plus it's common knowledge they are illegal. Anyone who goes on to take drugs after all this only has themselves to blame. Zero tolerance is the only way forward.

You haven't defined what the problem is. Is it people taking herion, or is it people taking heroin in public places, or people taking heroin with shared needles? 3 different problems, all with different solutions. This idea focuses on the second issue - people taking heroin in public places, which creates the problems associated with needles being left in public, and people needlessly dying when in need of medical help but not in a position to get any.

Allowing people on methodone programmes or similar to use supervised rooms where medical assistance is on hand and needles are clean and disposed of properly reduces the associated problems to the wider public.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On the homophobic point, our reputation certainly precedes us!

On t'cruise last week, we were in the bar and one of the waiters, a Turkish chap obviously picked up our accents and started a bit of banter ..." awright mate" etc etc...he then asked me what part of the UK I came from and I said " Brighton". Now assuming this guy hardly had any English at all and only followed British football because of Turkish players...his response to this was...showing me the limp wrist gesture!!!!! I was amazed and then, another waiter, from Venezuela also did the same. I was amazed that firstly they had heard of brighton, but only because we represented the gay community.

The comedian on board was very funny and he asked the audience if there was any xxxxxx nationalities in the crowd. He got to the Brits and a few of us cheered as you do in a drunken way. He related the story of a cruise he was on where the ship had to put into port as there was a hurricane brewing and people were told to get off the decks etc etc. all the Americans etc did so and made precautions, but there was a group of Brits on board and their response was " brilliant...can we get a boat out to see it close up" You had to be there, but it was very funny!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I took two Asprin this morning to cure a headache - but in making that choice I have immediately surrendered the right to any kind of sympathy from some quarters.

Since when was asperin defined as a recreational drugs? Perhaps you dont understand the difference.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I wouldn't expect you to sympathise as you, obviously, have no concept of the word "vulnerable". I expect they "choose" to get beaten up, threatened and abused as well.

They chose to take their first recreational drug - the rest is fate.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
On the homophobic point, our reputation certainly precedes us!On t'cruise last week, we were in the bar and one of the waiters, a Turkish chap obviously picked up our accents and started a bit of banter ..." awright mate" etc etc...he then asked me what part of the UK I came from and I said " Brighton". Now assuming this guy hardly had any English at all and only followed British football because of Turkish players...his response to this was...showing me the limp wrist gesture!!!!! I was amazed and then, another waiter, from Venezuela also did the same. I was amazed that firstly they had heard of brighton, but only because we represented the gay community.

I'm in a tiny settlement in NZ a population of 650. 68 miles from the nearest town and when I say to people where i'm from they know exactly the reputation that Brighton has. Find it quite amusing really.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Here's a third. Bang em up when caught and make them all do cold turkey till they're cured.

How about local council opens drug use rooms that addicts can use safely without fear of prosecution.

Hopefully, the local police chief says, ' The council can say what they like, we'll be raiding it twice a day and everyone caught using illegal substances will be prosecuted. We thank the liberal softies for making our job easier'.

Highly unlikely, but one can only live in hope.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
This is no solution to the problem. No one is forced to take drugs, education and information is widely available plus it's common knowledge they are illegal. Anyone who goes on to take drugs after all this only has themselves to blame. Zero tolerance is the only way forward.

Very naive comment

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Since when was asperin defined as a recreational drugs? Perhaps you dont understand the difference.

The only difference between recreational and non-recreational drugs are the contexts in which they are administered, so yes I understand the difference. If an opiate is administered by a physician does it make acceptable for you, e.g. to relieve pain for battlefield injuries, yet that same drug is no longer acceptable in its diacetylmorphine form when self adminstered.

Michael Jackson pleaded with his physician to administer a lethal dose to feed his addiction - he had the wealth and power to engineer his own self-destruction, by your rationale he deserved to die.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The only difference between recreational and non-recreational drugs are the contexts in which they are administered, so yes I understand the difference.

You need to have a re-think. Very few non-recreational drugs are addictive. Most of the recreational drugs, in the context of this discussion, are.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This answers my question, and adds to my fears about bringing more crime to the area. The drug dealers must be rubbing their hands at the thought of this and I'm sure the Police are delighted....

The answer is to have these rooms at the police stations then. One in Hove, the other in Brighton.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
That used to be the treatment for mental illness. And for homosexuality. And for a lot of other activity that was considered "criminal" by "right-minded people".

And cold turkey in prison...mmmm, they get their hands on more drugs in prison, I wish them well but if I'm honest I probably wouldn't want one of these places on my doorstep.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
You need to have a re-think. Very few non-recreational drugs are addictive. Most of the recreational drugs, in the context of this discussion, are.

Ok, ok you win. No point sweating it. Next time I see an inebriated person wandering across the road I'll try to remember which pedal to press.

( Just for the record it will be the one that keeps me within the law - don't want to be facing a charge of driving without due care and attention ).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here