Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great first for Brighton. Clean drug user rooms.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think its a good idea.

Hopefully will put an end to endless addicts coming into hospital toilets and shooting up as medical assistance is on hand if it all goes wrong !

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
That used to be the treatment for mental illness. And for homosexuality. And for a lot of other activity that was considered "criminal" by "right-minded people".

The difference is that drug takers initially have a choice. Unless your mother is a drug addict no babies are born like that.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
On the radio they were saying they are to be given 'free' drugs (heroin) to use under supervised conditions, how will they control who comes to use them and from how far away.Shirley all the junkies in the UK will head for 'free' drug Brighton - have they really considered this !???

They'll need a registered BN address I imagine.

I work for a couple of drug misuse charities that operate centres where people can come for counselling and help with getting off alcohol and drugs. And your post as well as the post re what about the neighbours is clearly typical. Undestand why people are concerned about them but they are there to try and do good and make the addicts in the neighbourhood get better. Not to bring more addicts in to the town. The areas around the centres usually see a reduction in drug/alcohol related crime. Not all drug addicts are on the streets, you could have a drug addict as your neighbour trying to live a normal life!!

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Let's also spend millions looking after addicts with aftercare, counselling and understanding while their elderly burglary victims get very little and spend the rest of their lives traumatised, jumpy and terrified of every little noise around the house at night.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Why? Most start with "OK, that cant do any harm."

The majority of young prostitutes walking the streets of London are addicted to something and, usually, there'll be a pimp behind that addiction. We were recently working at Kings Cross, and a key part of the site induction was to be aware of the vast numbers of used syringes that are tossed in to the site area, at night. There are always vulnerable people that will be exploited by others, for their own means.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
$(KGrHqEOKpoE7HgfC8IWBOyb7rtKvg~~60_35.JPG

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
On the radio they were saying they are to be given 'free' drugs (heroin) to use under supervised conditions, how will they control who comes to use them and from how far away.Shirley all the junkies in the UK will head for 'free' drug Brighton - have they really considered this !???

Pretty sure that any old tom dick & harry won't be able to just turn up and be given a load of smack because they asked for it. It will probably be along the same lines as methodrone is administerd to addicts, that's been going on for years in pharmacys.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The majority of young prostitutes walking the streets of London are addicted to something and, usually, there'll be a pimp behind that addiction. We were recently working at Kings Cross, and a key part of the site induction was to be aware of the vast numbers of used syringes that are tossed in to the site area, at night. There are always vulnerable people that will be exploited by others, for their own means.

Dont ask me for sympathy.

If someone runs back and forth across the M25 they will eventually die. If someone starts taking drugs then they eventually might die. It's always their choice initially.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Not sure I've read or heard that the 'drugs' themselves will be free or even provided - I think you've got that wrong, it's just the safe facility for a user to take them.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Just read the report on this. Obviously I think it's a load of old tossbags, but there is one question that needs clearing up:

Will they be "given" drugs to take at these centres or does it work on a BYO basis? If it's the latter, surely that will encourage more drug users to the city and therefore crimes such as theft and burglary associated with drug use?

The Green Party really are using Brighton as a social experiment aren't they?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The BBC report seems to say 'their own' drugs; these centres wouldn't be supplying them.

This answers my question, and adds to my fears about bringing more crime to the area. The drug dealers must be rubbing their hands at the thought of this and I'm sure the Police are delighted....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
This can only be a good thing IMO, we need to support users (as in "be there for them and keep them from harm" rather than "encourage").
I have first hand experience of dealing with drug users from a criminal justice point of view and the only ones that I see kicking the habit are those that get help and support from various programmes; I don't think I've ever seen a user get drug free after a period of imprisonment (as others say, drugs are readily available inside).
I'm not in favour of wholesale legalisation of all drugs but I'm not altogether agianst it either; I think we need to have a full and frank debate on it and come up with a better way of working than we currently have. As things currently stand, no-one in Westminster will bring the subject up for fear of being accused of being a "junkies friend" and pilloried by all parties.
We (society as opposed to NSC) have been fighting a "war on drugs" for over 40 years and drugs are winning; every time a dealer, whether a small time user/dealer, or a "Mr Big", is taken off the streets another one fills the void almost instantly.

If we're happy for alcohol and tobacco to be legally available then why not other chemicals ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cool new NSC meeting place, let's all hook up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here