Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great first for Brighton. Clean drug user rooms.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just read the report on this. Obviously I think it's a load of old tossbags, but there is one question that needs clearing up:

Will they be "given" drugs to take at these centres or does it work on a BYO basis? If it's the latter, surely that will encourage more drug users to the city and therefore crimes such as theft and burglary associated with drug use?

The Green Party really are using Brighton as a social experiment aren't they?

If you absolutely must bring party politics into it, I can assume that you've overlooked the local Tories' approval of this report.

As Tom said above, it's good that people are thinking differently, and are considering previously successful method of containment.

Will it work? Who knows? But we're nowhere near this thing happening yet anyway.

This answers my question, and adds to my fears about bringing more crime to the area. The drug dealers must be rubbing their hands at the thought of this and I'm sure the Police are delighted....

The Police have stated that they have an open mind on this.

It's wouldn't be a drop-in centre for any old user. They would have to be part of a referral programme, and want to be given help in the first place.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I wonder how welcoming people will be when their loved ones are the one's getting mugged for heroin money by someone who's come to Brighton to get smacked off their tits safely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounds like a good idea to me. Good to see people thinking outside of the box :thumbsup:

Agree. And as I pointed out the current policy is failing everyone miserably so different thinking is needed.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
If you absolutely must bring party politics into it, I can assume that you've overlooked the local Tories' approval of this report.

As Tom said above, it's good that people are thinking differently, and are considering previously successful method of containment.

Will it work? Who knows? But we're nowhere near this thing happening yet anyway.

The Police have stated that they have an open mind on this.

It's wouldn't be a drop-in centre for any old user. They would have to be part of a referral programme, and want to be given help in the first place.

Couldn't give a flying **** what the Tories think about it, thank you very much Mr Patronising.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Let's also spend millions looking after addicts with aftercare, counselling and understanding while their elderly burglary victims get very little and spend the rest of their lives traumatised, jumpy and terrified of every little noise around the house at night.

And the second part of your post highlights one of the issues that will never go away while the current drug policies are in place. The very fact that drug taking is criminal drives it underground, produces a black market for drugs that pushes the price up and thus people turn to theft to feed their addiction.

It's time to legalise drugs and for the government to control them in the same way they do tobacco and alcohol.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Dont ask me for sympathy.

If someone runs back and forth across the M25 they will eventually die. If someone starts taking drugs then they eventually might die. It's always their choice initially.

I wouldn't expect you to sympathise as you, obviously, have no concept of the word "vulnerable". I expect they "choose" to get beaten up, threatened and abused as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's time to legalise drugs and for the government to control them in the same way they do tobacco and alcohol.

Not so sure.

Although the exchequer gets a healthy few quid from tobacco and alcohol sales, that doesn't for me make a strong enough case. It doesn't follow that there aren't social, financial and health problems associated with these two, especially alcohol.

Before this happens, a level of containment must be in place (with the possibility of this kind of project being part of it) before any de-criminalisation takes place.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Let's also spend millions looking after addicts with aftercare, counselling and understanding while their elderly burglary victims get very little and spend the rest of their lives traumatised, jumpy and terrified of every little noise around the house at night.

I wonder how welcoming people will be when their loved ones are the one's getting mugged for heroin money by someone who's come to Brighton to get smacked off their tits safely.

The most common crime committed by drug addicts is shoplifting (not that I'm belittling the effects of crime on victims, nor that users shouldn't be held responsible for their acts) and quite often they have such a history that prison is inevitable.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Is Brighton the "ill-considered, knee-jerk response capital" of Britain?

If this is the worst I'm labelled for being concerned for the welfare of my family and friends, and the sort of people my home city is attracting then so be it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is no solution to the problem. No one is forced to take drugs, education and information is widely available plus it's common knowledge they are illegal. Anyone who goes on to take drugs after all this only has themselves to blame. Zero tolerance is the only way forward.

On the radio they were saying they are to be given 'free' drugs (heroin) to use under supervised conditions, how will they control who comes to use them and from how far away.Shirley all the junkies in the UK will head for 'free' drug Brighton - have they really considered this !???

Will I be allowed some "free" drugs - I could then sell them on the streets and turn a healthy profit. Thatcherism at its best.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Shirley all the junkies in the UK will head for 'free' drug Brighton - have they really considered this !???

And what is all this reputation going to do for Albion fans? Have they considered that?? Will we now have to endure narcophobic chants as well?

"we can see you shooting up"
"does your dealer know you're here?"
"Brighton takes it up the artery"

Very worrying imo

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This is no solution to the problem. No one is forced to take drugs, education and information is widely available plus it's common knowledge they are illegal. Anyone who goes on to take drugs after all this only has themselves to blame. Zero tolerance is the only way forward.

Incredible.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Because prohibition really worked in for alcohol in the 1920's didn't it.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I wouldn't expect you to sympathise as you, obviously, have no concept of the word "vulnerable". I expect they "choose" to get beaten up, threatened and abused as well.

I had a quick look at the comments part of the Daily Mail report of this and guess what, none of the posters either come from Brighton or have clearly had any contact with drug users - why am I not surprised.........

I took two Asprin this morning to cure a headache - but in making that choice I have immediately surrendered the right to any kind of sympathy from some quarters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here