Google Nexus 7

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
First impressions are that it's light and quick. has a lovely screen and Jellybean looks as good as IOS, if not better, but I'll need to use it in the real world for a few weeks to decide (and will probably leave comparison until IOS6).

FWIW, I'm neither an Apple or Android fanboii and I try to be unbiased.

Have you tried rotating it when on the homescreen yet?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's designed not to be rotated on the home screen.

Eh?

OK then - you're watching a film, or playing a game, in landscape and you're done and pop back out to the homescreen. Oh - it's wrongly oriented in portrait.

That is a very, very strange 'feature' to have.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Eh?

OK then - you're watching a film, or playing a game, in landscape and you're done and pop back out to the homescreen. Oh - it's wrongly oriented in portrait.

totally off topic...is ya neck better?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's designed not to be rotated on the home screen.

That is very weird. I have an Asus transformer and there's a little check box which allows for reorientation of the home screen. Doesn't jelly bean include this?

Edit: just read up about it and although jelly bean includes the feature Google locked the nexus 7 home screen display for some bizarre and stupid reason. Ridiculous that at the moment one would need to use a different launcher in order to have full functionality.

Last edited:

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
I've got a rooted Kindle Fire running Jelly Bean and I love it! It does everything I need including playing HD video and has a lower spec than the Nexus 7. If and when it dies I'd happily go for a Nexus if it performs anything like my current tab.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I've got the latest iPad so not overly bothered about this however I thought it might be handy to stream football to my projector (sopcast etc).

However seems like there is no hdmi out which is a shame.

D

Deleted member 2719

That is very weird. I have an Asus transformer and there's a little check box which allows for reorientation of the home screen. Doesn't jelly bean include this?

Edit: just read up about it and although jelly bean includes the feature Google locked the nexus 7 home screen display for some bizarre and stupid reason. Ridiculous that at the moment one would need to use a different launcher in order to have full functionality.

We have been looking at the transformer.

Could you give me your take on pro's and cons please.:moo:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We have been looking at the transformer.

Could you give me your take on pro's and cons please.:moo:

Hi, I've had my transformer since just before Christmas and on the whole I've been pleased with it. I use it a lot to write and browse and send emails etc. The calendar functions etc help to organize my life so that now i know what I'm doing (useful as I'm at that age when I'm likely to forget) and it syncs seamlessly to my Google account with contacts etc. I guess this is pretty much the experience with any android tablet user though. An advantage of the transformer is the ability to add a keyboard dock, i haven't bought one,i use an app called Swype to type very quickly, it's great!

On the negative side, although ics was a big step up from honeycomb, there were some compatibility issues with Asus tablets (not the only ones, even Motorola has similar problems with the xoom) which caused some machines to have random reboots and other minor problems. These have largely been smoothed out now and the experience is, at least for me almost perfect. On a build level, the speakers are not particularly great quality especially the left one, i have a 101, i don't know if that was improved with the prime. The prime is a pretty fantastic machine i believe but i can't comment as i don't own one.

All in all I've been very pleased although the software issues were a bit annoying tbh.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Eh?

You're aware this is also a 'feature' of iOS?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're aware this is also a 'feature' of iOS?

No, no it's not. I rotate my iOS tablet and the home page correctly turns with me.

(I can choose for that not to happen and lock it and prevent this behaviour. But it's my choice.)

DanielT

No, no it's not. I rotate my iOS tablet and the home page correctly turns with me.

(I can choose for that not to happen and lock it and prevent this behaviour. But it's my choice.)

No doubt it will be possible to rotate homescreen soon. If something bugs users, google are pretty good about adding options. Or there will be a third party option to do so.

Unlike the ios dictatorship ;-)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
One shiny new device in my mitts.

First up storage. Hmm not much doing with the USB port, tether to a PC no problem, stick a USB drive in and no can do. This was sort of what I expected, bit more surprised then that my portable USB charger doesn't play nice, still with a 10 hour run time, there should be no major panics on recharging.

Next up the 3G thing. I created a mobile hotspot on my low cost android phone, connected via Wifi and bingo, we are mobile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports