Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Google Nexus 7

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sure. I'll compare it to the iPad. I didn't say there will be a problem with it. On the contrary I said for the price it's a good bit of kit. But doesn't come close to an iPad, that's all :)

Display
Nexus 7: 1280x800 214ppi
iPad 3: 2048x1536 264ppi

Battery life:
Nexus 7: Up to 8 hours
iPad 3: Up to 10 hours

Graphics
Nexus 7: Unknown
iPad 3: A5X chip with quad-core graphics drives

Camera
Nexus 7: 1.2MP
iPad 3: 5mp with HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio

Memory
Nexus 7: Up to 16GB
iPad 3: Up to 64GB

Wireless and Mobile
Nexus 7: Standard 802.11a/b/g/n (no mobile support, that I can see)
iPad 3: Standard 802.11a/b/g/n & 4G support

My apologies I mistook a technical discussion about tablets for a game of top trumps. You are right the Ipad is the top trump and I would happily pay £200 for a shiny new one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My apologies I mistook a technical discussion about tablets for a game of top trumps. You are right the Ipad is the top trump and I would happily pay £200 for a shiny new one.

You asked for an example of low specs, he gave them. Problem?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

I don't understand. You asked, and I quote verbatim "Really would you care to give an example of where the specs are low". So I provided the an example of where the specs are low, and to add some context, I placed them against the iPad for you...

For £200 I think it's a good deal. As I said it's an entry level tablet, you get what you pay for and the OS is nice and smooth. Until you've seen and used a 2048x1536 display tablet with more processing power than is actually needed, everything else will seem, just less... I guess my opinions are also a little subjective, having an iPad, iPhone and iMac. I'd rarely give other manufactures the opportunity to impress me, but unfortunately in my work I've had to do that. They're good when they work. Just not as good. When they go wrong... Well, that's another story.

I'm sure we will be getting one here for work. I'll just prefer my iPad.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm tempted as something to replace my kindle but with the ability to do a bit more; a couple of things bother me though, lack of external storage and no 3G. If I'm going to have to rely on cloud storage, then I need to be able to access it anywhere.
I'm sure they could have shoehorned a micro-SD into it somewhere.
As it is, I think I'll wait until I can read some real world reviews

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm tempted as something to replace my kindle but with the ability to do a bit more; a couple of things bother me though, lack of external storage and no 3G. If I'm going to have to rely on cloud storage, then I need to be able to access it anywhere.

You can get iPad 1s for about £200 now.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You asked for an example of low specs, he gave them. Problem?

Perfectly good summary here and there are plenty of others if you are technically minded. On the contrary I think the specs are very high, but will reserve judgement until I get to use it for myself.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6054/google-nexus-7-mini-review

I am not advocating anyone stick their Ipad's on Ebay, but personally I can do a lot with 200 quid and I don't see this as a compromise.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The lack of slot for external memory is a bizarre one given the flack aimed at the iPad from the Android side of the fence.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7 has a slot for expansion.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

Does it support tethering? I don't know if you can tether using android phones and tablets?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On the contrary I think the specs are very high, but will reserve judgement until I get to use it for myself.

Well that completely depends on what you are judging them against. Against the iPad, the specs ARE very low. That isn't opinion. But perhaps it's not fair to compare a Nexus to an iPad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Perfectly good summary here and there are plenty of others if you are technically minded. On the contrary I think the specs are very high, but will reserve judgement until I get to use it for myself.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6054/google-nexus-7-mini-review

I am not advocating anyone stick their Ipad's on Ebay, but personally I can do a lot with 200 quid and I don't see this as a compromise.

It clearly is a compromise (on the iPad) but that's to be expected for the price.

I've ordered one - it'll be ideal for the kids and leaves the big fella to the big people.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The lack of slot for external memory is a bizarre one given the flack aimed at the iPad from the Android side of the fence.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7 has a slot for expansion.

Agreed that wasn't a cost cutting decision was it ?

I plan to try out a few things like storage via the microUSB slot and bluetooth to a phone acting as a 3G modem and see what is possible and practical.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It clearly is a compromise (on the iPad) but that's to be expected for the price.

I've ordered one - it'll be ideal for the kids and leaves the big fella to the big people.

Please make sure it stays that way as well. If it gets to the point that NSC is down every time Google updates Chrome we will all be stuffed.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You can get iPad 1s for about £200 now.

I've already got an iPad 2. I thought this thing might be a useable inbetweeny.

As for tethering, T-mobile don't allow it on my plan and the plan is too good to let go (unlimited Internet for under £6 a month), hence I'd prefer something with a 3G slot that I could stick a giff gaff sim in for when I'm away from home.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've already got an iPad 2. I thought this thing might be a useable inbetweeny.

As for tethering, T-mobile don't allow it on my plan and the plan is too good to let go (unlimited Internet for under £6 a month), hence I'd prefer something with a 3G slot that I could stick a giff gaff sim in for when I'm away from home.

Buy a cheap MiFi off eBay and use that?

DanielT

Ordered mine. No microsd isn't great but google are obviously cloud based and google drive is going to be promoted by them on this device. A quad core 7" is just what I have been waiting for. 10" is too big for me (said the vicar ....) 7" should fit in a reasonably sized pocket and I shall tether the 'net from my S2

Skinthead

Jul 26, 2004
There Abouts
Having read all the gumpf on it, I think it will be a great bit of kit, agree it may not be not be as high spec as the ipad but as others have already said you pays your money, I have just ordered mine £199 happy with that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Usual question.

Tablet or Laptop.

Web surfing.
Sport watching.
Game playing.

In that order, with NO smartphone.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Usual question.

Tablet or Laptop.

Web surfing.
Sport watching.
Game playing.

In that order, with NO smartphone.

I'm rather torn. I like the look of the iPad and what it can do is quite impressive, but I can't work on it, so for me it will be a gadget, not a necessity. I'm sure I will get one, and probably quite soon, but my laptop works great for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here