Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good red wine

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I enjoy a drop of red but im by no means a expert . As the saying goes " a good bottle of wine is one you enjoy " I really like the zenith ( kumala ) one atm which is about £10 a bottle can can be got for a fiver now and then it is very moorish . Palace co chairman steve browett owns farr vintners and has a wine thread on the bbs where he answers all wine queries which is quite enlightening , if you dare to cross over .

Maybe £5 is actually nearer the value of this wine. I am not knocking it if you find a cheap plonk you enjoy, then go for it, but don't kid yourself they are doing you a favour selling it at half price.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/supermarket-wine-oz-clarke

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Calm down Superphil, it was obviously just a fun survey at the science festival. I liked one of the quotes below "the real question would have been could any of them tell the difference between the wine and Scotch?"...:lolol:

:hehe:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well, a myriad of opinions on NSC, what a shock!

Fifty quid can buy a very good Barolo. Twenty five could get a couple of decent examples of Chateauneuf, but how about a oner for a Penfolds Grange? Big, bold and a smack in the chops worth coming back to!

Just saying like.......

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Well, a myriad of opinions on NSC, what a shock!

Fifty quid can buy a very good Barolo. Twenty five could get a couple of decent examples of Chateauneuf, but how about a oner for a Penfolds Grange? Big, bold and a smack in the chops worth coming back to!

Just saying like.......

Grange, for £100, pray point me in the right direction please

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Grange, for £100, pray point me in the right direction please

Well, used to be last time I looked! Might have changed a bit after a few years....sorry to disappoint.....
although if you can buy it young from somewhere and then wait.......

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Got an aerator for Xmas, tried a bottle of Pinot Noir before and after using it and a definite positive difference. Recommended from me for anyone like me that never gets round to letting wine breathe enough.

Got an aerator for Xmas, tried a bottle of Pinot Noir before and after using it and a definite positive difference. Recommended from me for anyone like me that never gets round to letting wine breathe enough.
The pleasure of a good wine is greatly enhanced by the waiting. If everyone joined The Campaign For Patient Drinking, the world would be a better place.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
We ended up having a bottle of Meerlust Rubicon and Meerlust Red on Christmas Day. The Red was very good, but the Rubicon was spectacular. At £30 a bottle I won't be drinking one every weekend, but will definitely buy another for a special occasion.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I wouldn't call myself an expert but my stand-out favourite red wines come from Chateau Musar - as far as I know, still the only vineyard in Lebanon. Prices vary depending on the vintage but you should get a couple for your 50 notes. Definitely ticks the "full bodied" and "fruity" boxes.

You can usually find them in Waitrose, but any decent indy wine merchant should know about them. Lots of good stuff on their website if you want to find out more.

chateaumusar.com

Musar is a stunning wine, and ticks the boxes, but not the only Lebanese wine or vineyard, you could try Dr Dargham Elias Toumas Heritage wines, we shall be having their desert wine on Xmas day.

As for alternatives, within your budget, see if you can find a St Hallet Old Block Shiraz from Aus, or, for £50 you should get a couple of bottles of Meerlust Rubicon from SA.

For some reason the Musar name really stuck in my head. I've just picked up a couple of bottles for £20 a bottle. Not having it tonight but will do soon. Hope it lives up to expectations!

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
For some reason the Musar name really stuck in my head. I've just picked up a couple of bottles for £20 a bottle. Not having it tonight but will do soon. Hope it lives up to expectations!

Ooh, nice. My tip would be to keep it on its side till the day before you want to drink it then stand it up, take to cork out and leave it a few hours to breathe. More often than not you'll get sediment in the bottom, so if you can, decant it with a candle under the neck, try not to let any of the sludge get through. I really wouldn't open it and pour it straight from the bottle.
It's worth it all though, it's stunning.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The pleasure of a good wine is greatly enhanced by the waiting. If everyone joined The Campaign For Patient Drinking, the world would be a better place.

I normally wait around twenty minutes while my New Zealand's Sauvignon Blanc 'FINEST' is in the freezer.
Is this long enough? :cool:
Another ten minutes and its hard to pour coz it's a FROZEN SLUSH PUPPY:)

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I normally wait around twenty minutes while my New Zealand's Sauvignon Blanc 'FINEST' is in the freezer.
Is this long enough? :cool:
Another ten minutes and its hard to pour coz it's a FROZEN SLUSH PUPPY:)

I was gonna let you try my home made Adur Red. But if you're gonna treat it like that I'm not so sure.

The Adur Red needs to lie down for a bit first. Not an ideal fruit based drink for the laydees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here