Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good red wine

If you REALLY want to go crazy, you can buy a bottle of Brunello di Montalcino Biondi Santi Riserva 1957 for just £1,707.65 a bottle.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/b...v+docg+brunello+montalcino+tuscany+italy/1957

Drink it with a nice bag of crisps.

Or there's the bottle of Signor Biondi Santi's 1975 Riserva that went at auction for £20,491.80. But I guess it might be difficult to track the owner down.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/b...v+docg+brunello+montalcino+tuscany+italy/1975

Franco Biondi Santi once let me touch a bottle of nineteenth century Brunello that he thought might make him at least $100,000. And that was in 1971. Even he thought that the prices he could get for historic wines were ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Biondi_Santi

Last edited:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Not as expensive as others mentioned but Piccini Memoro is a lovely full bodied Italian red I would highly recommed, priced at £9.99 in Tesco.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you can let me know where you can find Brunello di Montalcino cheaper than Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, I'd be eternally grateful.

My recommendation for a really good Brunello at under £50 would be a bottle of 2004 Brunello di Montalcino Riserva from the Poggio al Vento vineyard. You can buy a single bottle online here:-

http://www.frw.co.uk/searchWines.as...oggio+al+Vento+2004+Orcia+Col+d+&sid=4&FRS=ws

And order the Riserva, which has been matured longer, before bottling.

Here's a review (and the reviewer scores it 95+ (out of 100):-

The 2004 Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Poggio al Vento is developing beautifully. This is a decidedly feminine, graceful style of Poggio al Vento. The wine literally floats on the palate with gracious layers of fruit. Silky tannins support sweet red berries, flowers and spices on the mouthwatering finish. The 2004 is flat-out beautiful. This was a relatively generous harvest, and that comes through in the wine’s medium-bodied structure. Drinking window: 2014-2044.

http://vinousmedia.com/articles/col...no-riserva-poggio-al-vento-1982-2006-may-2012

As you can see, you don't have to drink it until 2044! Which reminds me... I have a bottle of 1975 vintage Brunello Riserva stashed away somewhere. A great year (as, indeed, is 2004).

Does it have a screw top ?

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
I wouldn't call myself an expert but my stand-out favourite red wines come from Chateau Musar - as far as I know, still the only vineyard in Lebanon. Prices vary depending on the vintage but you should get a couple for your 50 notes. Definitely ticks the "full bodied" and "fruity" boxes.

You can usually find them in Waitrose, but any decent indy wine merchant should know about them. Lots of good stuff on their website if you want to find out more.

chateaumusar.com

Funnily enough I was going to suggest exactly the same, pair it with a slightly more traditionally produced wine to compare as its a little unusual, both for less than 50 quid and a bargain at that.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Seek out the Spanish reds from Ribera del Duero especially the Crianza or Reserva ones, you will enjoy immensely.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I wouldn't call myself an expert but my stand-out favourite red wines come from Chateau Musar - as far as I know, still the only vineyard in Lebanon. Prices vary depending on the vintage but you should get a couple for your 50 notes. Definitely ticks the "full bodied" and "fruity" boxes.

You can usually find them in Waitrose, but any decent indy wine merchant should know about them. Lots of good stuff on their website if you want to find out more.

chateaumusar.com

Musar is a stunning wine, and ticks the boxes, but not the only Lebanese wine or vineyard, you could try Dr Dargham Elias Toumas Heritage wines, we shall be having their desert wine on Xmas day.

As for alternatives, within your budget, see if you can find a St Hallet Old Block Shiraz from Aus, or, for £50 you should get a couple of bottles of Meerlust Rubicon from SA.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As for alternatives, within your budget, see if you can find a St Hallet Old Block Shiraz from Aus, or, for £50 you should get a couple of bottles of Meerlust Rubicon from SA.

Had a bottle of St Hallet when I lived in Oz. Lovely, lovely stuff & will definitely do the trick. Didn't know you could get that here. Peter Lehmann Stonewall is bloody lovely too & can get that from ocado on the below link and get yourself £17 change

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...007/47313011?gclid=CO-msKC9xLsCFbGWtAodpBoA1Q

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
For that money id get a nice bottle of burgundy, something like a cotes de nuit or cotes du beaune. Butlers will sort you out.

I agree. I am far from an expert (but a friend is) the trouble with red wine is that there are many good ones from many countries, Italy, Australia, California etc so the choice is difficult especially with your budget.
But with £50 I would always go with Burgundy (with sound advice before you buy).
I much prefer white to red its a shame I cannot convince you to change to white because with £50 you could get a really decent bottle of Puligny Montrachet, it really is something else and so complex.
I have found the answer with great wine is to get advice in a proper merchants, try to eat the right food with it and take your time, really enjoy and savour every sip.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Had a bottle of St Hallet when I lived in Oz. Lovely, lovely stuff & will definitely do the trick. Didn't know you could get that here. Peter Lehmann Stonewall is bloody lovely too & can get that from ocado on the below link and get yourself £17 change

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...007/47313011?gclid=CO-msKC9xLsCFbGWtAodpBoA1Q

I've bought it (St Hallett) from Devine Fine Wines in Birmingham and the Secret Cellar in Tunbridge Wells. But I've badgered my local (decent) wine shops in that past and they've been able to get me some too.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
for £50 you should get a couple of bottles of Meerlust Rubicon from SA.

Or you could pick up the 2011 Meerlust, which is most of the way to the Rubicon for far less money (probably pick one up for around a tenner).

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
My favourite is Chateau Margaux. You should be able to pick up a bottle for £20; £50 will get you a fine wine.

A second choice would be a big, bold Italian Barolo, £50 will buy you a cracking vintage.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've bought it (St Hallett) from Devine Fine Wines in Birmingham and the Secret Cellar in Tunbridge Wells. But I've badgered my local (decent) wine shops in that past and they've been able to get me some too.

Good man. I will have to have a word with the chaps at Quaff.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Or you could pick up the 2011 Meerlust, which is most of the way to the Rubicon for far less money (probably pick one up for around a tenner).

Is that the one they just call Meerlust Red? If so, then yes, blumming lovely, and certainly is most of the way to the Rubicon, not sure I've seen to for a tenner though, we'll not recently.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
if you can get a bottle of Chateau Margaux for £50 please tell me where.you may be able to get a Margaux but not from the the First Growth Chateau itself.
Christmas is all about a good Claret.
Ring En Primeur @ Crawley for excellent advise and range.
My favourite is Chateau Margaux. You should be able to pick up a bottle for £20; £50 will get you a fine wine.

A second choice would be a big, bold Italian Barolo, £50 will buy you a cracking vintage.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
50 quid bottles of wine,we could be here all night

down here in wineland

if the label on the top of the bottle has written 'RECOULTANT' it's very drinkable,around 5-6 euros plus here

if the label just has a letter and 2 numbers,eg N 47 35 it's pretty shit,that retails at around 2-3 euros here

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Is that the one they just call Meerlust Red? If so, then yes, blumming lovely, and certainly is most of the way to the Rubicon, not sure I've seen to for a tenner though, we'll not recently.

Yeah in 2011 they didn't make a Rubicon so built a better Red instead using the grapes they would have put in to Rubicon. The Wine Society has it for £9.95/bottle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here