Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good ol' Christain values...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well it seems to many people that the universe has been "fine tuned" for our existence. From the laws of physics, to chemistry, to biology - everything about our universe seems so divinely perfect for life to flourish that it is easy to believe that there could be an intelligent designer.

of course. an intelligent designer that having gone to that trouble with the universe creation, went off and did something else for the 13.7 billion years, and very much ignored a little green/blue dot on the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of an obscure galaxy.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Amen to that. The idea of a god or supreme being was dreamt up by our ignorant ancestors to help them understand everything they couldn't explain. As science has explained more and more of the previously unexplained the more intelligent among us have worked out that there clearly isn't a god. The more ignorant may wish to continue believing in such a being. No problem as long as they don't force the idea on their more intelligent non-believing neighbours.

Religion is mass delusion.

Blind prejudice. How do you deal with the idea that plenty of enormously intelligent people are people of faith? Have you ever heard - or rather listened to Rowan Williams speaking? There was a programme on recently where the Chief Rabbi - Jonathan Sacks - talked to and actually "engaged" with Richard Dawkins, and they did actually find common ground once they had agreed to differ about their differences over belief. Jonathan Sacks was talking to Richard dawkins at least as an intellectual equal, in my view.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Well it seems to many people that the universe has been "fine tuned" for our existence. From the laws of physics, to chemistry, to biology - everything about our universe seems so divinely perfect for life to flourish that it is easy to believe that there could be an intelligent designer.

Without doubt the biggest pile of shite i have read on this site and f*** me i have read a lot. Universe fine tuned for our existence? What like all the other planets in the solar system which are choc full of oceans, forests, dinosaurs and Wetherspoons? All those other planets that light up the sky which evidence to date suggests have the square root of f*** all on them? Tell me, in your world was Graeme Smith fine tuned for goalkeeping and Richard Tiltman intelligently designed for goalscoring?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks for that, not really worthy of a well thought out reply though, so here's a wikipedia page for you to read. Fine-tuned Universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best of luck

Wikipedia well done. You acuse me of not thinking. I think the yoofs put that facepalm thing on at this point.

I read the finance thread the other day. El Pres time and again said the same thing. We are not paying Bloom back yet period. Despite this you knew best. This thread is a similar story. You have a completely closed mind but laughably try and claim otherwise.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If you want to discuss why people consider the universe to be apparently fine tuned for the existence of life, I figured it would be best if you familiarise yourself with the idea first. It's a very important thing to consider in regards to this particular debate, I thought it was a shame you thought it to be "the biggest pile of shite you have read on this site", that's all.

I've read enough on the subject thanks. Buying Gaia stopped me going down the pub at uni due to lack of funds which i remember 20 years later. As i said above, this isn't really a debate. You are like the pub bore who spouts ill informed bollocks when drunk, doesn't listen to what anyone else says and can't understand why everyone keeps going for a piss.

boik

Blimey, is this one still going?

Why can't we just accept that there are some things we don't know, and possibly never will know. Surely we don't have to invent "someone who knows everything"?

We don't have a god-given right to know everything (see what I did there? :wink:

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Blimey, is this one still going?

Why can't we just accept that there are some things we don't know, and possibly never will know. Surely we don't have to invent "someone who knows everything"?

We don't have a god-given right to know everything (see what I did there? :wink:

There I would disagree.
When all your past flashes before you, you will re-view the instinct you were born with and all life's lessons wil fascinatingly fall into place....followed by realisations of how far you strayed from wisdom of the ages.
May as well kick yourself now, you owe it to yourself.

This is my theory.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
It's no worse than some of the stuff that the more fervent atheists say about those with a faith on here. You seem at war with the world, Nibs.

This, most christians are just decent folk with laudable standards and values. They don't deserve the onslaught they receive just because they are fare game. Now if they kidnapped folk, beheaded them, and issued fatwas people would soon shut up.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Amen to that. The idea of a god or supreme being was dreamt up by our ignorant ancestors to help them understand everything they couldn't explain. As science has explained more and more of the previously unexplained the more intelligent among us have worked out that there clearly isn't a god. The more ignorant may wish to continue believing in such a being. No problem as long as they don't force the idea on their more intelligent non-believing neighbours.

Probably the most ignorant posting I have EVER seen on the internet and that's saying something!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here