Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Golf - do you play?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I play at least once a week from about March to the end of October, I cant be arsed with the poor weather anymore. During last years lockdown a real increase in popularity occurred and lots of courses around Sussex and Surrey have whacked up the prices as a result which is a shame, but I guess supply and demand and all that, plus making up for lost earnings.

I don't really enjoy playing most courses in Brighton and Hove far too hilly for my liking so will often travel a bit further for a round. The problem is so many course are also closing down and being sold of for housing.

Rusper went last summer, looks like Rookwood, one of the best public courses around is being sold off by Horsham Council too and Ifield has also been sold and will be housing within the next 5 years.

Rusper is a hard course....

I play about once a month on a Sunday. It is hard to play to my 12 h/c playing so rarely. I have only played twice this year and am going to Celtic manor at the end of June.

I love the game however with two young kids is really hard to find the time to play, let alone practice.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Rusper is a hard course....

I play about once a month on a Sunday. It is hard to play to my 12 h/c playing so rarely. I have only played twice this year and am going to Celtic manor at the end of June.

I love the game however with two young kids is really hard to find the time to play, let alone practice.

Yeh Rusper was an adults course. I only played it about 4 times like last year. Was still in amazing condition until it shut. Quite like the village cricket style tea shed. Almost felt like it was someone’s personal course.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Yeh Rusper was an adults course. I only played it about 4 times like last year. Was still in amazing condition until it shut. Quite like the village cricket style tea shed. Almost felt like it was someone’s personal course.

Keep meaning to play it again soon but i always want to play a little more regularly before tackling the tightness of rusper...

Will have to take a trip there soon. :thumbsup:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Keep meaning to play it again soon but i always want to play a little more regularly before tackling the tightness of rusper...

Will have to take a trip there soon. :thumbsup:

It’s closed mate. You missed your chance.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I love Brora up on the east coast of Scotland - a true links in the purest sense and in perfect harmony with it's surroundings. I played it years ago, late one Friday on a balmy August afternoon whilst on holiday. It may have been as much about the time and the place as it was about the utter perfection of the course itself, but they are 18 holes that burn long in the memory for nothing but the best of reasons. As I teed up to drive the 18th, little did I realise that I'd never find a hidden gem like that again.

Have you ever played there?

Heaven...

View attachment 137100

Haven't played Brora but I know it's got a fabulous reputation.

Shiskine is the ultimate little gem....worth the trip to play.

TNBA

TTF

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It’s closed mate. You missed your chance.

Shit..just read it closed in autumn... I just assumed all these courses closing was only temporarily due to covid, not permanent. Heard of a few in Kent that have closed (woodlands manor)

Very sad news.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Shit..just read it closed in autumn... I just assumed all these courses closing was only temporarily due to covid, not permanent. Heard of a few in Kent that have closed (woodlands manor)

Very sad news.

Was sold off for property development like the others I mentioned

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Played as a kid but gave it up for football, rugby and boxing. As I gradually got too old and fat for those I picked it up again about 6 years ago and played very regularly when living in Hove (Was a member at West Hove and loved it). Moved to Italy and joined a club there but since moving to Spain I haven't played much at all and am desperate to get back out more often but seem to have my weekends full now.

Actually just bought a lob wedge so if it ever arrives that will bring me some brief joy.

Have you played El Bosque? If not, you must.

D

Deleted member 2719

Have you played El Bosque? If not, you must.

I have played a couple of courses in Vilamoura, greens were a bit soft when I played them. I can't remember their names though. I think one was a championship one, any ideas???

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Used to play a lot to a decent standard (lowest handicap 2) until marriage and kids came along. Still played regularly until moving to South Africa, where I played occasionally. Now back in the UK have played about 5 times in as many years. Still enjoy it but just don't have the time or resources.

Very modest describing a 2 handicap as a decent standard!
I started playing aged 31, managed to get my handicap down to 12 with a couple of brief flirtations with 11. I used to play every week in South Africa but I haven't played since last October. However, my clubs finally arrived last week. Hellish expensive to play in The Algarve now though
As was mentioned earlier, the handicapping system allows golfers of varying levels to play together competitively. The first round I ever played in South Africa I booked a Friday morning at Glendower, where the SA Open has been played many times. Walking to the first tee I was joined by a local who asked If I wanted to play a 2 ball and did I mind if he played of the back tees? He then walked right to the back of the back tee and hit his drive around 300 metres. Walking down the fairway I asked him, as you do, " What do you play off then?". "I was off plus 4 when I turned pro" came the reply. It turned out that this guy played on the Sunshine Tour in Africa (not very successfully) and played for South Arica Juniors as a teenager all over the world. We had a very enjoyable round, I raised my game to quite a fair standard and witnessed him making a triple bogey on a par 3 where I made par.
I've played for over 30 years and love the game but I'm nowhere near as obsessed with it as I was 10 to 20 years ago.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have played a couple of courses in Vilamoura, greens were a bit soft when I played them. I can't remember their names though. I think one was a championship one, any ideas???

I would think that was The Victoria Course (Arnold Palmer design), which is used on the European Tour. There's also The Old Course, which is just beautiful, Laguna, which is flat with lots of water, Millenium, which winds through cork trees, Pinhal, surrounded by villas, and then the 2 Vila Sol courses.

D

Deleted member 2719

I would think that was The Victoria Course (Arnold Palmer design), which is used on the European Tour. There's also The Old Course, which is just beautiful, Laguna, which is flat with lots of water, Millenium, which winds through cork trees, Pinhal, surrounded by villas, and then the 2 Vila Sol courses.
Thanks, I think it was the victoria and the Laguna I played. The laguna was towards the end of the day and the sun was low in my eyes as I pitched in to what seemed a straight forward par 3 towards the end of the round, I was up by at least 5 shots until that hole against a local. I went to the green and could not find the ball anywhere after searching as long as I dared! The water was probably the landing zone! But we both heard nothing and saw nothing!
I had to settle for a draw in the end!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks, I think it was the victoria and the Laguna I played. The laguna was towards the end of the day and the sun was low in my eyes as I pitched in to what seemed a straight forward par 3 towards the end of the round, I was up by at least 5 shots until that hole against a local. I went to the green and could not find the ball anywhere after searching as long as I dared! The water was probably the landing zone! But we both heard nothing and saw nothing!
I had to settle for a draw in the end!

We have an annual trip to Portugal - had several of my most memorable moments on golf courses on some of these.

Laguna - one of our group duck-hooked his tee shot on a par 3 over some trees and landed directly in a swimming pool. Decided to tee up another ball once the laughter had subsided.......did exactly the same with that one as well
Pinhal - ****ing trees everywhere. Only time I have seen an entire fourball literally sitting on the grass crying with laughter (swooosh.....thwack.......swooosh....thwack........swooosh....thwack)
The courses at Vale de Lobo are real class.........but difficult

We’ve migrated to Alvor now, much, much cheaper to stay than Vilamoura or Albufeira and a decent choice of hotel and courses (all tied up with the Pestana group - Laguna, Mlillenium and Victoria are part of the Oceanica Group).....Gramacho, Silves, Pinta and usually a final round at Vila Sol (as v near the airport) makes for a great long weekend. Can’t wait....missed last year for obvious reasons. Bournemouth was nice but not quite the same !

D

Deleted member 2719

We have an annual trip to Portugal - had several of my most memorable moments on golf courses on some of these.

Laguna - one of our group duck-hooked his tee shot on a par 3 over some trees and landed directly in a swimming pool. Decided to tee up another ball once the laughter had subsided.......did exactly the same with that one as well
Pinhal - ****ing trees everywhere. Only time I have seen an entire fourball literally sitting on the grass crying with laughter (swooosh.....thwack.......swooosh....thwack........swooosh....thwack)
The courses at Vale de Lobo are real class.........but difficult

We’ve migrated to Alvor now, much, much cheaper to stay than Vilamoura or Albufeira and a decent choice of hotel and courses (all tied up with the Pestana group - Laguna, Mlillenium and Victoria are part of the Oceanica Group).....Gramacho, Silves, Pinta and usually a final round at Vila Sol (as v near the airport) makes for a great long weekend. Can’t wait....missed last year for obvious reasons. Bournemouth was nice but not quite the same !

Haha, I think all golf trolleys should be fitted with GoPros!
There must be thousands of hours of great footage! I remember someone I was playing with bounced a one short short on a frozen lake the ball bounced high and ended 2 inces short of a hole in one!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Played singing hills today in wonderful condition. Pretty well priced considering the rip off prices being charged by Mid Sussex and West Hove today. £50 for both. Managed to get on at Singing hills for £35.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Played singing hills today in wonderful condition. Pretty well priced considering the rip off prices being charged by Mid Sussex and West Hove today. £50 for both. Managed to get on at Singing hills for £35.

I played singing hills on thursday - wonderful golf course. try to play every couple of weeks as so enjoyable although only a mid-handicapper TBH

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I am playing Rookwood on Wednesday and East Sussex National on Saturday. Looks like we will be blessed with good weather.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here