Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Golf - do you play?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Took some lessons up there few years back - pro said I have the worst slice he’s ever seen - we tried loads to get rid of it but I forgot it and didn’t practice - still got 2 lessons from the 6 I paid for!

Assuming you're right-handed that would come into it's own on the 3rd, which dog-legs sharp right around 200yrds. You'd knock it round the corner straight into Position A! You're a natural...

(If you're left-handed, have a provisonal ready...)

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
My dad’s mate persuaded him to start playing after he retired. It was the one sport he’d never been interested in but he loved it. In the 5 years he played he brought his handicap down to 7 and became Seniors Champion beating people who had played for many years!
His ashes were scattered on the golf course:angel:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I'm a member at Singing Hills. It's actually stopped taking new members this year as it's so busy.
I don't think I'll rejoin next year as it's too bloody slow.
I can't stand taking 4 plus hours to play 18 holes

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm a member at Singing Hills. It's actually stopped taking new members this year as it's so busy.

One of the advantages of ours over singing hills and mid Sussex is winter golf. Both those courses really struggle when it’s wet and have had to close the course and in one case had to offer pro shop vouchers to appease members .

Being on top of the downs, us and the dyke have very good drainage, of course ours had to use temporary greens at time due to some greens being waterlogged, but we are very fortunate

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I enjoy it and play probably twice a year. I used to be good but am hugely inconsistent and as such am "encouraged" to play off 18 for stableford. I'm basically as likely to Par as I am blob

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I am a certified Golf nerd, although barely have the time to play. In the summer I try and play every week or two, and the rest of the year it's probably once every month or so.

Local course for me is Hill Barn in Worthing, know it like the back of my hand having started playing there about 15 years ago. Don't have an official handicap but I try to play to about 12 when I play with mates!

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
Been a member at Pyecombe for 30+ years and still love it there. Had my first ever lesson last month and have recently been fitted for new clubs in a forlorn quest to hit my lowest ever handicap, currently it's going the wrong way! Lockdown and WFH definitely has its plus points when it comes to sneaking out in the evenings...

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
My favourite sport. I am am member at The Irvine Golf Club (aka Bogside) in North Ayrshire, a James Braid designed classic and also a member at Shiskine Golf club on the Isle of Arran (in top 75 Best British courses, the best 12 hole course on the planet and the best value £220 I spend in any year). My favourite individual sport and even at my ripe years I seem to be improving, albeit from a pretty low base reference point. We are blessed up here with so many fine fine courses. A great game to take up at any age.

TNBA

TTF

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

played there a few times years ago, Little Rich got a hole in one! a part 3 with a little ditch/stream in front of the green, got an odd bounce, popped on the green and rolled in.

Are there still 3 x 9's ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My favourite sport. I am am member at The Irvine Golf Club (aka Bogside) in North Ayrshire, a James Braid designed classic and also a member at Shiskine Golf club on the Isle of Arran (in top 75 Best British courses, the best 12 hole course on the planet and the best value £220 I spend in any year). My favourite individual sport and even at my ripe years I seem to be improving, albeit from a pretty low base reference point. We are blessed up here with so many fine fine courses. A great game to take up at any age.

TNBA

TTF

I love Brora up on the east coast of Scotland - a true links in the purest sense and in perfect harmony with it's surroundings. I played it years ago, late one Friday on a balmy August afternoon whilst on holiday. It may have been as much about the time and the place as it was about the utter perfection of the course itself, but they are 18 holes that burn long in the memory for nothing but the best of reasons. As I teed up to drive the 18th, little did I realise that I'd never find a hidden gem like that again.

Have you ever played there?

Heaven...

Brora-1000.jpg

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
My parents amused my brother and I with putting and pitch and putt. I took up the game with some seriousness 15 years go and really liked Hassocks which had a mix of challenging and comfortable holes. Heart issues mean I need to use a buggy now to get around but play in a pub society which is great fun with 40 plus turning up for a day's golf. Most of all though it is a game I continue to play with my brother. It is very much a battle out there on the course but it is very good for our social relationship.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
One of the advantages of ours over singing hills and mid Sussex is winter golf. Both those courses really struggle when it’s wet and have had to close the course and in one case had to offer pro shop vouchers to appease members .

Being on top of the downs, us and the dyke have very good drainage, of course ours had to use temporary greens at time due to some greens being waterlogged, but we are very fortunate

We head to the North Downs for our winter golf. The difference between a round on chalk and Wealden clay is like, er, chalk and cheese

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Yep,caught the bug 40 years ago.

Off to East Sussex National tomorrow.....1 night, 3 course dinner, bed & breakfast and a round on each course.............£159 :ohmy:and the sun's gonna shine !!!

Then 6 days golfing ( staying in Edinburgh ) at Gleneagles, Dunbar, Gullane and Musselburgh ) in July.......................:blush::

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Assuming you're right-handed that would come into it's own on the 3rd, which dog-legs sharp right around 200yrds. You'd knock it round the corner straight into Position A! You're a natural...

(If you're left-handed, have a provisonal ready...)

And 11th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We used to play at Rustington 20+ years ago . .I'm sure my balls got replaced with turtles eggs, they always made a bee line to the nearest watering hole.

one of the best, and hardest courses was the 9 hole at Cuckfield, did a 46 round there, my best 9 ever, birdied the 2nd hole

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Yesterday I achieved something I didn’t think I ever would. I joined a club last summer after hardly playing for almost 25 years. My handicap at 18 was 14. I put cards in last year and got given handicap of 10. Someone will need to explain the sodding national golf handicap to me because yesterday I shot 83 on par 71 on a course with playing handicap of 12. I have been cut to 9. So I am single figures for the first time in my life at 41. Next aim is to sort my chipping and pitching from under 30 yards and aim for 6. Roll on some good weather as there was no roll last night so I could do with another 20 yards off the tee!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Untitled-1-7-2048x1072.jpg

Provided I could be Paige Spiranac's caddy, then I'm in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here