Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Golf - do you play?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Yes. Love it. Played as a kid but then went to uni and stopped. Got my handicap down to 14.

Then between ages of 18-40 I played a few times a year with mates and when I went home to see mum.

During lockdown I was losing my head so my wife suggested I try golf again. I joined a club with my then 11 year old and it is great. We both love it. The great thing about golf is I can play off 10 with my lad who after a year is off 41. It can be competitive whereas no other sport we play is because i still have to take it easy. You can have a laugh with mates etc. Some of my lads mates laugh at him for playing golf but he points out that so many people decide to give it a go when they are adults so he is getting a head start.

Most frustrating game ever though. I played twice in three days. On day one I shot 76. Day 3 92. I did not feel any different.conditions the same etc. Bizarre. My putting from 4 foot is comparable to Maupay from four yards. Not pretty. Yip.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I played a little bit in my early teens, then a lot whilst at uni, then took it back up in my mid 20s & played regularly into my mid-late 30s. The last 5 years or so have seen me take on more responsibilities (my business grew, I got married, bought a house with a garden, got a dog and then our daughter arrived), so I just don't have the time to spare. I've not played once in over 3 years.

I turn down the odd opportunity I get to play because I find being rusty and therefore playing badly incredibly frustrating when I used to be reasonably good.

If I could find the time to play 3 times a fortnight, I'd love to but there is absolutely no chance any time soon. I'd need to invest in a set of irons too - mine were made in the mid 90s!

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Played as a kid but gave it up for football, rugby and boxing. As I gradually got too old and fat for those I picked it up again about 6 years ago and played very regularly when living in Hove (Was a member at West Hove and loved it). Moved to Italy and joined a club there but since moving to Spain I haven't played much at all and am desperate to get back out more often but seem to have my weekends full now.

Actually just bought a lob wedge so if it ever arrives that will bring me some brief joy.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The Harry Kane golf video reminded me of an article I read in The Athletic a little while ago talking about how modern day players don't really play it anymore. Back in the day it was a staple of all footballers lives but computer games seem to have taken over now.

I love golf and when I was young/free/single etc, I used to play a lot. Went through a stage when in spring/summer I would play on a 9 hole course close to where I worked most nights after work if I wasn't playing football and then a round at the weekend. These days with work and family, I hardly ever get out on a course anymore, I miss it.

Is it going to fade out more and more in this country if young, rich athletes with lots of spare time aren't even playing it?

Funnily enough I’ve just come back from hitting a quick 100 at the Burgess Hill Driving range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Used to play a fair bit before having kids and loved it. Every year I keep saying I'll get back into it, but each one passes and I've never made it back to the course. Definitely something I'd like to get back into one day!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Tempted to learn more to join the networking events that take place on the golf course but I’m not sure I have the patience to play.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Played Tilgate Forest yesterday, shot 102 after not playing for 8 months, still enjoyed it though, there’s always a couple of pure shots that has you coming back for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Always wanted to play but imho opinion there are several barriers. Money obvz, time but also the nature of the game. If you want to play but don't really know anyone who does, where do you start?

I finally started after my golf mad (and quite oofy) sister gave me a set of clubs when I was 50 as a birthday prezzy. But even then I had no real time to play what with work and family responsibilities until I retired at 55. Then there was the barrier of not knowing anyone else who played.

I finally got going about 5 years ago when a bloke I knew in the same keep fit group as me said he was in a golf society and did I fancy joining. I've now got to the stage where I've joined a (relatively!) cheap club on Merseyside and play at least once a week with mates via the Golfing Society I joined

As someone on this thread has said though it's a real game for the head. It can completely screw you up and I don't think I'll ever get my handicap below 20. But I do love it. Just hate the cliqueness you get at some places .

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Used to play a lot to a decent standard (lowest handicap 2) until marriage and kids came along. Still played regularly until moving to South Africa, where I played occasionally. Now back in the UK have played about 5 times in as many years. Still enjoy it but just don't have the time or resources.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Just got in from playing 14 holes at Beauport in Hastings. Only had time for 14 as it started pouring down and went dark pretty quickly. They only charged £10 as there’s 3 temp greens at the moment. Bloody hilly course, fantastic views .
d52577872f0267755a6f323419140a9c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Used to play at Waterhall or Hassocks both are now unfortunately closed , also used to play golf with my brother who no longer plays ,

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Yes. Twice a week. Copthorne.
You wouldn't think so if you saw me play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here