Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
DISCLAIMER(if you like)

Just to show where i am at-

Religion-had it's purpose and i respect elements of all,it's not black white,colour creed,it's the soul of the person,their essence,some of the ugliest things mankind are capable of come from our very own peoples,it's never a religious or colour thing,it's who you are.

God-replace the word with life is my preferred option for now,but call it the force(as Yoda states if you like)...we are special,all of us,good and bad.

Religious groupings-i hate anything that forces claptrap religion upon another,dangerous religious groups reside all over,well lets just say groups that use religion as a cover.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
DISCLAIMER(if you like)

Just to show where i am at-

Religion-had it's purpose and i respect elements of all,it's not black white,colour creed,it's the soul of the person,their essence,some of the ugliest things mankind are capable of come from our very own peoples,it's never a religious or colour thing,it's who you are.

God-replace the word with life is my preferred option for now,but call it the force(as Yoda states if you like)...we are special,all of us,good and bad.

Religious groupings-i hate anything that forces claptrap religion upon another,dangerous religious groups reside all over,well lets just say groups that use religion as a cover.

so you are a JEDI ...?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
do or do not

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Earthquakes? the rumblings of Earth,the tectonic plates that give and take life from us.

Man's desire to live on Earthquake zones to make use of the fertile soils that are in the areas,not unlike living near Volcano's,means some risk is taken,free will could have avoided death near earthquake zones as the people choose freely to live in such areas-and will continue to do so.

Disease? hmm,i am no medical man but all i can say is each so called problem contains an answer,so perhaps we have to learn,like we have in the past and eradicated many of the recent diseases that used to plague man,or at least learned to limit each diseases effect to a minimum.

i see. so we are given the choice of fertile but dangerous land, or barren but safe? utterly ignores those places that are fertile and safe or barren and dangerous. not so much choice, than luck of birth. Similarly, you seem to think that disease is simply a trial for us to overcome. the "so called problem" could just be avoided by a god in the first place if s/he was benevolent.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i see. so we are given the choice of fertile but dangerous land, or barren but safe? utterly ignores those places that are fertile and safe or barren and dangerous. not so much choice, than luck of birth. Similarly, you seem to think that disease is simply a trial for us to overcome. the "so called problem" could just be avoided by a god in the first place if s/he was benevolent.

nite nite ....:drink:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

The land is not a choice-nothing that comes with any worth is without hard work and dedication,if the lands were so unsafe,we could not live there full stop,those that choose to stay and work at it,appreciate the rewards far outweigh the pitfalls-disease has to be overcome,to accept it,is not an option,who says the process is ever over,life is all about overcoming and achieving,Gods work is to see the beauty in all of this-

Peoples of a very recent past in times of sheer adversity,who collectively had more faith than the modern folk of today,triumphed through hell,the hell for example of world war 2,to which was in it's own right the birth if you like of our modern world.

Still looking for God to make perfect-the conditions are perfect,the planet perfect,man's belief,not so.

You don't support Brighton!!!

You have made all those posts on a football site and you don't support Brighton!!!

What are you doing on here?

Oh dear

Oh dear, you really are thick aren't you. If you care to check my profile you will see I have been here for several years, for reasons I have already explained but which you seem to simple to understand.

Now run along, read your fantasy book, pray for me - while I do your thinking for you - and come back later. There's a good child.

Last edited:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Oh dear, you really are thick aren't you. If you care to check my profile you will see I have been here for several years, for reasons I have already explained but which you seem to simple to understand.

Now run along, read your fantasy book, pray for me - while I do your thinking for you - and come back later. There's a good child.

XXX and big hugs

Religion asks people (you, us, them) to believe outlandish and outrageous things that are often against the forces of nature, against instinct, human behavior, and that will cost all sorts of time and cause you grief.

For myself, the more I consider perspective on the creation and my place in it - the less I can accept any single doctrine.
I was taught Christianity, but when I read that disciples went off separate ways and did miracles, healing people and such - just like that, yeah they went off and healed with miracles!
That's what bothers the heck out of me - they defied the very nature of things and brushed that aside miraculously. Just believe that, it's the story and that's what happened okay?
Well, a parallel could be drawn with Harry Potter and wand-waving there, and I'm having trouble buying their story I'm afraid. Reality just doesn't come into it.

Spirituality, prayer, faith, karma, power of positive thinking - yes I believe all those will comfort and calm a person and lead them through a better way of living - but not believing in weird unfeasible tales of people from thousands of years ago in personal conversations with God and outrageous empowerment courtesy of that bond.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
A very interesting 10 minute Point of View on BBC R4 yesterday entitled "Believing in Belief". Link to podcast below plus an outline. Worth a listen.

BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - A Point of View, Believing in Belief

John Gray argues that the scientific and rationalist attack on religion is misguided. Extreme atheists do not realise that for most people across the globe, religion is not generally about personal belief. Instead, "Practice - ritual, meditation, a way of life - is what counts." Central to religion is the power of myth, which still speaks to the contemporary mind. "The idea that science can enable us to live without myths is one of these silly modern stories." In fact, he argues, science has created its own myth, "chief among them the myth of salvation through science....The idea that humans will rise from the dead may be incredible" he says, "but no more so than the notion that humanity can use science to remake the world"

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Morning all - back from a lovely week's holiday and glad to see this thread still chuntering along.

Has anyone been converted either way yet?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
John Gray argues that the scientific and rationalist attack on religion is misguided. Extreme atheists do not realise that for most people across the globe, religion is not generally about personal belief. Instead, "Practice - ritual, meditation, a way of life - is what counts." Central to religion is the power of myth, which still speaks to the contemporary mind. "The idea that science can enable us to live without myths is one of these silly modern stories."

from the desciption (haven't listened to the iplayer), it sounds like Mr Gray is constructing an Aunt Sally description of atheists. theres no problem with myths and rituals, the atheist simply recognises them as that rather than some sort of truth or requirement of life. the main objection is where they are treated as superior to other myths (ie my religion is better than yours) and superior to non-religious myths and ritual. in case of dispute religion takes precedence, people can circumvent the law due to religious practice, or teach falsehoods under protection of religious learning. if myth and ritual were treated simply as personal believe, there wouldn't be much issue.

to my knowledge there is no myth of salvation through science. its a contradiction as salvation is a religious concept in the first place, so why would an atheist believe in that? better learning and understanding through science is no myth, and one which most religions adhere to themselves, albeit with restrictions or preconceptions in some areas.

shellsuit

Feb 5, 2009
well i asked this question a while back and not one religious person came up with an answer so ill give it another go

perhaps someone of a religious persuasion could answer a simple question considering that God heals all sorts of ailments from headaches to cancer (according to religious people that is) why is God incapable of healing amputees?

any takers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here