Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
at least I acknowledge the author.

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death

Notice the bendey writing Derbygull. THat one was Albert Einstein, a real person that really lived, and wrote things down that was based on facts, not weak dreams

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's all utter piffle (to be polite).
I disagree with the arrogant notion that I should respect the religous beliefs of others. I respect their rioght to beleive in what they want (as I do children to beleive in Santa) but I shouldn't be prevented from pointing out how silly and at times dangerous those beliefs can be.

Respect is a religious belief. Who has ever seen heard or felt Respect?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its pretty funny too:

"It's basically all or nothing, following Jesus. I don't believe in pick 'n' mix Christianity. I believe the Bible is the word of God, so who am I to ignore something from it? [...]
"I want to live my life believing and doing the things (God) wants and the Sabbath day is a full day.

im sure the sabbath day is Friday/Saturday, at least thats when the Jews observe it and they know a thing or two about the bible part I.

im sure the sabbath day is Friday/Saturday, at least thats when the Jews observe it and they know a thing or two about the bible part I.

Well yes, quite. The week used to start on a Sunday, which would make the 7th day (that God apparently rested on after having spent 6 days working hard to create the universe) Saturday. Imagine a professional rugby player that refused to play on a Saturday!

DBL

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
TV ALERT

This Tuesday 27 September
11.15 - 11.45pm BBC1
"What's the Point of Religion?"
with Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
TV ALERT

This Tuesday 27 September
11.15 - 11.45pm BBC1
"What's the Point of Religion?"
with Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks

Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks explores the importance of faith as an antidote to what he sees as a social crisis in Britain - focusing on family, community and communication. Joining him are Harvard professor Robert Putnam, who has spent 25 years exploring the state of modern life, and Labour peer Maurice Glassman, who is at the forefront of the `big society' idea

Looks like a good piece of television, look forward to it.

DBL

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
That'll be impartial then.

Wednesday evening will be the New Jewish Year, so the Chief Rabbi's address 24 hours earlier will be in part a New Year's message & greeting. Whatever ones faith/or no faith, the Chief Rabbi of The Commonwealth is a most interesting person to listen too & also to read his articles in The Times on a Saturday.

The religious leaders all seem to have interesting things to say. Some extreme opinions/doctrines that don't jibe with everyone of course.
It's a bit of a shame that they aren't 'leaders' enough to influence many of their followers to desist from fighting and / or killing.

The Dalai Lama is a wise sage, albeit a believer in reincarnation, which I find impossible to conceive of.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right, so where have we got to?

Do Christians believe that all/some/no animals go to heaven?
And when did man start going to heaven?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Religion is like a penis.

It's fine to have one.

It's fine to be proud of it.

But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around,

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Nobody can dis/prove he exists. If you put that you know for a fact she does/n't, you're confused, Dawkins never asserts she doesn't exist as a factual statement. The position to adopt is antitheist, not atheist but one has to say one is an atheist in order to avoid confusing cretins. If you think he exists for a fact, you're beyond help.

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Right, so where have we got to?

Do Christians believe that all/some/no animals go to heaven?
And when did man start going to heaven?
christians don't believe animals go to heaven because they don't have souls. Man started going to heaven when the first soul perished after christianity was invented. It's perfectly straightforward apart from explaining away what happened prior to christianity's invention but we won't think about that.

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Come the revolution, rabbi Sacks will be hung, drawn and quartered along with his Islamofascist and catholic/christian fundamentalist buddies. Abrahamic religions are all the same. They just enjoy murdering each other and anybody else who doesn't adhere to an Abrahamic mind control.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Man started going to heaven when the first soul perished after christianity was invented.
But when christianity (or whatever) was invented, presumably the preacher preached that those who had already died had gone to heaven.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nobody can dis/prove he exists. If you put that you know for a fact she does/n't, you're confused, Dawkins never asserts she doesn't exist as a factual statement. The position to adopt is antitheist, not atheist but one has to say one is an atheist in order to avoid confusing cretins. If you think he exists for a fact, you're beyond help.

Generally, on NSC, when people say "FACT." it is an implied "I know this isn't actually a fact in the strictest definition of the word, I just believe strongly about this opinion/guess/prediction/interpretation". I think most people who voted god does not exist. FACT. were voting with that understanding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here