Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I class myself as a Realist

I DOUBT theres a big man watching us from above very much , HOWEVER I WANT to believe there's more to this life then what we know - and if the knowledge of some sort of afterlife helps others/gives them faith in this deeply cynical world , who am I to crush that?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
f*** me-sorry but God hurry up with the international break:lolol:sorry El-but it's best if i talk about football:thumbsup:

I DOUBT theres a big man watching us from above very much , HOWEVER I WANT to believe there's more to this life then what we know - and if the knowledge of some sort of afterlife helps others/gives them faith in this deeply cynical world , who am I to crush that?

I think this is a good quote to finish this debate..... Getting bored!

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

I would argue you are looking for 'God' through the eyes of an existing religion. Forget religion and look for 'God'. Cut out the middle man as it were.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Personally i think that if you leave anyone alone for long enough then they'll deduce a theory of why they are, both alone and alive, and firmly believe it. Maybe it's best to believe that we're all a bit mental and whichever way that comes out is ok as long as it doesn't go around killing people or telling everyone else that my mental is better than your mental and has the answer to everything. I envy some mentals, certainly, and not those who throw themselves to death to back up a sentence or two from a book written by ancient mentals. Those mentals who keep it fairly quietly to themselves and have a whole manual to cling to in times of need or desperation. If you only believe in the human mentals around you, sometimes they're not there or openly admit that they just don't understand when you want them to. That's when a mental becomes a lonely mental, but then i suppose we all are deep inside and it's probably not a complete rotter that we happen to be and it's likely from other manuals that we believed we shouldn't be and should love like swan mentals with their snakelike necks entwined and their arm-breaking flaps a song of the truest love. All mental like stories and the powerful mentals like to make stories up so that the more casual mentals believe in them enough to give them more power in the form of wealth and undoubtability. But then who am i to say they're bad or unfair mentals? I might be if i was given enough stuff to play with and find other mentals to just be toys at my fingertips. Mentals like me just don't want to be mentals like that, but then that's just because this mental grew mental thanks to cartoonish mentals who spotted good and bad and preferred to be on the side of the former, disempowering for spells the latter until they returned with new powers to crush those masked mentals who stood in their way.
I'm boring myself now.
I tend not to believe, but know that i do sometimes wrongly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Isn't it also a bit of a leap of faith to be expounding Darwin's Theory of Evolution as if it were Fact ???

no, it isnt. placing emphasis on the "theory" status of evolution is to show that you do not understand science. in reality, science does not claim to have provided the full and complete answer, only a desciption or explaination that is the nearest approximation. there is room for modification, refinement, even complete disgarding if shown to be false or incorrect. bear in mind that the theory of electromagnetism allows us to power our homes and use the internet, and the theory of gravity is always there for anyone to attempt to refute.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'd like any 1 of the three (so far) who know that god exists-Fact! to provide me with some evidence of 'his' existence.

Surely in this technological world we all live in, somebody, somewhere has a video on their phone ready to upload to YouTube? A burning bush or water into wine would be good for starters-nothing difficult like curing lepers and leaving them without a trade.

God was created by man so that a few smart people can control the masses (not the catholic masses btw) and let the plebs fund their lifestyles.

Childbirth,birds or a child singing,an act of kindness-Jupiter acting to collect derbies that could collide with Earth,why you,why now,never ending messages throughout the ages,repeating over and over the messages of love to others, miracles like last season & Gus,the sheer wonder of it all-a life without twitter,facebook,holister,nike and such like-look,listen and stop sleepwalking through life-or carry on,it's you call-God by the way cares not how you remember,learn,or progress as you have free will,even Hitler went to heaven if you like-that after taking the world through hell,call it the rumblings of a birth,birth of the modern world-Hitler was scum though and deserved all he got,but he still was all part of the process.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I would argue you are looking for 'God' through the eyes of an existing religion. Forget religion and look for 'God'. Cut out the middle man as it were.

:thumbsup: religion had a good purpose at some previous place in time,not now.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Personally i think that if you leave anyone alone for long enough then they'll deduce a theory of why they are, both alone and alive, and firmly believe it. Maybe it's best to believe that we're all a bit mental and whichever way that comes out is ok as long as it doesn't go around killing people or telling everyone else that my mental is better than your mental and has the answer to everything. I envy some mentals, certainly, and not those who throw themselves to death to back up a sentence or two from a book written by ancient mentals. Those mentals who keep it fairly quietly to themselves and have a whole manual to cling to in times of need or desperation. If you only believe in the human mentals around you, sometimes they're not there or openly admit that they just don't understand when you want them to. That's when a mental becomes a lonely mental, but then i suppose we all are deep inside and it's probably not a complete rotter that we happen to be and it's likely from other manuals that we believed we shouldn't be and should love like swan mentals with their snakelike necks entwined and their arm-breaking flaps a song of the truest love. All mental like stories and the powerful mentals like to make stories up so that the more casual mentals believe in them enough to give them more power in the form of wealth and undoubtability. But then who am i to say they're bad or unfair mentals? I might be if i was given enough stuff to play with and find other mentals to just be toys at my fingertips. Mentals like me just don't want to be mentals like that, but then that's just because this mental grew mental thanks to cartoonish mentals who spotted good and bad and preferred to be on the side of the former, disempowering for spells the latter until they returned with new powers to crush those masked mentals who stood in their way.
I'm boring myself now.
I tend not to believe, but know that i do sometimes wrongly.

Nicely put.

We can go in circles in our own minds over this issue - let alone in debate.

As you display - Knowing Right from Wrong needs no Godly affirmation.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Read both of these and I agree they are good. Dawkins does have a habit of taking AGES to get to the good stuff though by first having to define every little word and term, still, a good read once it gets going.

Dawkins' book is 400 pages of a bloke agreeing with himself, but he does it very well!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I'd go along with this. You've either had an experience with God or you haven't. If you have you'll believe, if you haven't you probably won't.

I do think it slightly odd that a lot of non believers haven't actually looked. I think most religions think that you need to put in a bit of seeking. So, I guess if you never bother seeking, you'll never have a chance of finding.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I dont know what people mean when they speak of "God".

I nominate the inventor of flowers as the prime candidate for the title.

And Gus of course. :wink:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
If there is, I hope it's Giant Haystacks.

:D
That's probably true , to be honest I don't know enough to make a cast iron decision on what I'm looking for or what I want (I'm in limbo abit at the moment) , who knows - it's all a mystery to be honest.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'd go along with this. You've either had an experience with God or you haven't. If you have you'll believe, if you haven't you probably won't.

I do think it slightly odd that a lot of non believers haven't actually looked. I think most religions think that you need to put in a bit of seeking. So, I guess if you never bother seeking, you'll never have a chance of finding.

Not totally true-yes agree with most,but sometimes the act of not looking,enables something,in this case,God(such a shit word-for the modern world-he will understand) to find you,seek and you will find yes,but a prayer sent by me passed full circle will find others-most non believers would never survive in a "Bear Ghrylls" scenario even if they seeked,as they have no concept of the all & the divine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here