Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
God is the biggest load of bollocks ever,most religious people will tell you people where created by god but animals and insects weren't:annoyed:

Seriously brain washed shite

evolution is the way the world started

Again. There is a difference between the truth behind religion and the existance of a 'God'.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Can't believe in god 'til we know what's going on on all those other planets like earth out there but feel slightly uneasy about dissing him/her completely!!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
That is a great book. If you want a GREAT read and yet some extremely dry chortles along the way - I highly recommend God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. His spoken word audio version is even better. The man is a sardonic legend.

Read both of these and I agree they are good. Dawkins does have a habit of taking AGES to get to the good stuff though by first having to define every little word and term, still, a good read once it gets going.

Albion Rob

Has the Large Hadron Collider shed any light on this situation yet? I read something the other day about narrowing fields or something but to be honest didn't really understand it.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Also, what is a God? What makes you God? Creator? Savour? Faith? Is it somthing only the soul can understand and not the human mind?

If aliens created up from a test-tube, does that make the alien scienist our God?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Man created Religion.

Does that mean God does not exist? For the record I put 50:50.

Nobody knows.

I could say that 50/50 you may/may not exist-i don't know,you tell me,do i believe? well yes-still this all could be a figment of my imagination-i just think people who ask without showing faith will obviously have no answer-but not always.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Can't believe in god 'til we know what's going on on all those other planets like earth out there but feel slightly uneasy about dissing him/her completely!!

Not getting on my "high" horse now-but look to the stars tonight,seriously,wow-makes you wonder,maybe we are the only ones(lonely that would be) but again,wow-makes us seem so small-but what if some distant stars/lights in the night sky,were in fact other towns in space-

The closest is 2 light years(travel at the speed of light-186,000 miles/second for 1 year) for 2 years to reach it? how do we do that?=amazing

If a person has attempted to conceptualize God, then he can only fit in the bounds of their own concept.
This is, to any power or energy that has created everything we know and see - and attempt to fit into convenient acceptable concept - ridiculous.
So, however you might try to make God fit to YOUR convenience, you cannot hope to ever believe in anything greater than your self.

Accept that you cannot understand.
You really can't understand, that's a fact. Infinity - infinite time or space doesn't fit your concept. Accept that.
So you need to have faith.

Look out of eyes, be aware that you exist, and start to realize that this ability to exist came from some kind of measured creativity.
You will have to eventually face yourself and how far you strayed from your intended being while you were here.
Best to fear that moment while you live, and make the most of your opportunity here.
There's no escaping time while you live, and you are not bound by it when you are dead.

So, how long is a moment? When your life 'flashes before you' in your dying one, how long is that flash? Forever's no time at all.

But appreciate what you are and what you have been given, realize that even if you are debilitated you compare well against the hell-bound.
Look out with all your senses and just realize how fantastic it is to be here, like this.
Then you might start to accept, and know that the perfection of your very existence was created.

As people look out in space and wonder, just realize the stupendous coincidences that come together to enable us to exist on the earth - with a moon at just the right mass and distance to affect the atmospheres for instance, and the sun.....
That in itself is incredible.

[yt]buqtdpuZxvk[/yt]

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
If a person has attempted to conceptualize God, then he can only fit in the bounds of their own concept.
This is, to any power or energy that has created everything we know and see - and attempt to fit into convenient acceptable concept - ridiculous.
So, however you might try to make God fit to YOUR convenience, you cannot hope to ever believe in anything greater than your self.

Accept that you cannot understand.
You really can't understand, that's a fact. Infinity - infinite time or space doesn't fit your concept. Accept that.
So you need to have faith.

Look out of eyes, be aware that you exist, and start to realize that this ability to exist came from some kind of measured creativity.
You will have to eventually face yourself and how far you strayed from your intended being while you were here.
Best to fear that moment while you live, and make the most of your opportunity here.
There's no escaping time while you live, and you are not bound by it when you are dead.

So, how long is a moment? When your life 'flashes before you' in your dying one, how long is that flash? Forever's no time at all.

But appreciate what you are and what you have been given, realize that even if you are debilitated you compare well against the hell-bound.
Look out with all your senses and just realize how fantastic it is to be here, like this.
Then you might start to accept, and know that the perfection of your very existence was created.

As people look out in space and wonder, just realize the stupendous coincidences that come together to enable us to exist on the earth - with a moon at just the right mass and distance to affect the atmospheres for instance, and the sun.....
That in itself is incredible.

[yt]NQu_RRLbVDA[/yt]

That was good, but you lost me at the 'hell-bound' bit, I'm afraid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Does that mean God does not exist? For the record I put 50:50.

Nobody knows.

well, it rather depends on the definition of "god". the idea of an omniscient, benevolent and omnipotent deity as traditionally held by the Abrahamic religions can be said not to exist. the problem of evil refutes that gods existance. the whole edifice of these religions collapse upon the main source they draws from, the bible, which contradicts the core tenets and values the religions. other religions have multiple deities, so they immediatly dimiss the idea of "god". and why is the christian god any more belivable than Vishnu or Odin?

so reform the question: does some unknown entity(s) exist that may have influence on the universe, our world and our life? possibly, with expontially less liklyhood at each level of involvment.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don't believe at all but just watched an interesting documentary called about the Cabinet Office and apparently Gus O'Donnell, the current Cabinet Secretary initials internal documents with the letters GOD.

*** doesn't sound so amusing now I've written it ! :( ***

Incidentally, I did hear that the scientists working on genetics became convinced in the existence of a creator.

For all the science and expertise (Stephen Hawking for one instance) that attempts to 'know' further, the more strange it seems to me that they can possible refute a creator.
I can understand how they can scorn the theory of creation as a simplicity where written down in a single-minded book that brushes aside concepts of evolution. Such has also been man-made, and with people trying to translate something they cannot have hoped to even know.

well, it rather depends on the definition of "god". the idea of an omniscient, benevolent and omnipotent deity as traditionally held by the Abrahamic religions can be said not to exist. the problem of evil refutes that gods existance. the whole edifice of these religions collapse upon the main source they draws from, the bible, which contradicts the core tenets and values the religions. other religions have multiple deities, so they immediatly dimiss the idea of "god". and why is the christian god any more belivable than Vishnu or Odin?

so reform the question: does some unknown entity(s) exist that may have influence on the universe, our world and our life? possibly, with expontially less liklyhood at each level of involvment.

That`s exactly,word for word, what I was going to say.:mad:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
God and religeon is a myth invented as a security blanket for people who cannot handle the fact that death is The End.

Well, thats what I think.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If (hypothetically) I was to proclaim myself to be God, would you be able to prove or disprove the truth of my claim?

no,but a little part of us is-why us,why now,why in the ivory tower of the uk and not war torn Afganistan? can you fly? nope neither can i.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Religion was created as a form of control of the masses through the use of fear, and has relied on ignorance for it to be effective .It seams the last strongholds for this form of control are America, Iraq, Iran etc , but most communities have accepted that Darwin was in fact right.:smile:

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you about religion being a form of controlling the masses, it also never ceases to amaze me how the arrogance of the materially rich and secular minority can claim that the majority of the world's populace is somehow living in ignorance because they've chosen not to believe that scientists have all the answers. It's as if the non believers have read Psalm 14:1 and just turned it around :nono: The God concept has been present in every society since the year dot, and that remains so today.

Isn't it also a bit of a leap of faith to be expounding Darwin's Theory of Evolution as if it were Fact ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here