Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray

XSE25

Dec 29, 2013
Look at Torres for an example, did really well at Liverpool but struggled at Chelsea. Did he turn into a bad player or did Liverpool suit him better and therefore he was able to deliver more. Maybe whilst at Palace he was the equivalent of Torres for Liverpool and had he stayed with us, he could have been like Torres at Chelsea for us. - Some players do well at one club and struggle at another for no obvious reason.

Besides, had he stayed and performed badly like he did in his first season in the Championship at Palace, how many would have turned on him and tried to force him out like they have done with so many of our players in the past.

You can't say for sure whether he would have had the same sort of impact and success had he stayed with us as he did with Palace as there are too many variables involved to ever be sure.

Thats seems a desperate post.
The form GM was in for us that year - he would of been banging them in for any half decent team , if you'd managed to keep him, you'd may well be a Premier League team.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Thats seems a desperate post.
The form GM was in for us that year - he would of been banging them in for any half decent team , if you'd managed to keep him, you'd may well be a Premier League team.

Not at all.

If he had stayed he may have got 6 or 60 goals in his 1st season in the Championship for us or he may have got injured and never played again, you can never say with any certainty what would have happened which was the reason for my response to Icy Gulls comment

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
We have to agree that Murray had is best season for us when we got promoted into the Championship, but until then he had not set the world on fire and his record previously was one of a journeyman. In his 9 seasons and 5 clubs prior to joining us, his highest tally was 12 goals in a season. Hardly prolific in the days when 20 goals in a season makes people take notice of a striker worth the name.
I can understand the club not giving into his demands as he had hardly painted a picture of a player who would die for the club, with his numerous transfer requests. He has now done the same at Palace and is getting huge wages for having one good season with them. So when he got his large pay increase at Palace, he did not repay them straight away and 6 goals in that season hardly made him a favourite with the fans or make us feel we had made an error in letting him go. On top of that Ashley Barnes scored more (11) for us in that first Championship season than Murray did for Palace.
We just have to accept Palace got a player for free who has had one good season in four for them and gained them one promotion, which is identical to his record for us and I still don't think he will score more for Palace than he did in total for us.
And if there are any Palace fans want to gloat about signing players from us, how is that close to a million pound signing, Stephen Dobbie who again left us to join Palace, for a long contract on much higher wages than we wanted to pay, performing for you?

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
We have to agree that Murray had is best season for us when we got promoted into the Championship, but until then he had not set the world on fire and his record previously was one of a journeyman. In his 9 seasons and 5 clubs prior to joining us, his highest tally was 12 goals in a season. Hardly prolific in the days when 20 goals in a season makes people take notice of a striker worth the name.
I can understand the club not giving into his demands as he had hardly painted a picture of a player who would die for the club, with his numerous transfer requests. He has now done the same at Palace and is getting huge wages for having one good season with them. So when he got his large pay increase at Palace, he did not repay them straight away and 6 goals in that season hardly made him a favourite with the fans or make us feel we had made an error in letting him go. On top of that Ashley Barnes scored more (11) for us in that first Championship season than Murray did for Palace.
We just have to accept Palace got a player for free who has had one good season in four for them and gained them one promotion, which is identical to his record for us and I still don't think he will score more for Palace than he did in total for us.
And if there are any Palace fans want to gloat about signing players from us, how is that close to a million pound signing, Stephen Dobbie who again left us to join Palace, for a long contract on much higher wages than we wanted to pay, performing for you?

Dobbie scored some vital goals to get us in the POs when we were faltering and we then replaced him with better.

Not really worked out for us since, has it?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Let's just draw a line under this sorry episode.
We're happy with Muzza, and you're happy with CMS/ COG/ Baldock/that bloke out on loan somewhere.
Let's move on.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Let's just draw a line under this sorry episode.
We're happy with Muzza, and you're happy with CMS/ COG/ Baldock/that bloke out on loan somewhere.
Let's move on.

Not disagreeing with your statement regarding our strike-force since Barnes and Ulloa have gone on to better things.

But although you're apparently 'happy' with Muzza, would he really be in your team if others were fit? Do you think he'll stay with you?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
When Spilloni conceded yesterday his Palace team mates told him not to worry about it and to just take it on the chin....or at least they would have done ...

:thumbsup:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Not disagreeing with your statement regarding our strike-force since Barnes and Ulloa have gone on to better things.

But although you're apparently 'happy' with Muzza, would he really be in your team if others were fit? Do you think he'll stay with you?

I'll think he'll stay.
You have to grab your chance when you get it, so hopefully now he'll get a run in the team.
He's not the quickest, but he knows what positions to be in, and as you lot know, he can win a few free kicks !

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
When Spilloni conceded yesterday his Palace team mates told him not to worry about it and to just take it on the chin....or at least they would have done ...

:thumbsup:

Great save from Valencia near the end.

Chin up Botty :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'll think he'll stay.
You have to grab your chance when you get it, so hopefully now he'll get a run in the team.
He's not the quickest, but he knows what positions to be in, and as you lot know, he can win a few free kicks !

Yeah, good player. I was pleased when we signed CMS, but wish we'd kept Murray, who we never properly replaced until we signed Ulloa. Still good luck to him, the only thing he did wrong was join you lot :)

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Glenn is a good player and deserves a crack at this level . He has never been blessed with great pace but he has a quick brain and has that knack of finding space and getting in goal scoring positions . He is a great squad man , and a strong happy squad is vital at any level .

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Look at Torres for an example, did really well at Liverpool but struggled at Chelsea. Did he turn into a bad player or did Liverpool suit him better and therefore he was able to deliver more. Maybe whilst at Palace he was the equivalent of Torres for Liverpool and had he stayed with us, he could have been like Torres at Chelsea for us. - Some players do well at one club and struggle at another for no obvious reason.

Besides, had he stayed and performed badly like he did in his first season in the Championship at Palace, how many would have turned on him and tried to force him out like they have done with so many of our players in the past.

You can't say for sure whether he would have had the same sort of impact and success had he star
yed with us as he did with Palace as there are too many variables involved to ever be sure.

Ur fogetting a valif point here. Torres form went at liverpool first, b4 he went to chelsea

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bless.

Glenn's got 3 in 7 now, not a bad return.
You did realise he was out for 9 months didn't you ?
How does Glenn Murray's modest goal record relate to you not being a sad act? Is that how your life works?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Is your offer still valid ?

I got a better offer when I was out last night; you missed the one chance you'll ever have to pop that cherry.

More sad is that you're still on here this morning! Go out and get yourself a life - one that doesn't involve spending all weekend on football forums.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I got a better offer when I was out last night; you missed the one chance you'll ever have to pop that cherry.

The story of my life
Another missed opportunity :(

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Ur fogetting a valif point here. Torres form went at liverpool first, b4 he went to chelsea

I was just pointing out that a player can be successful and highly thought and then fail miserably and look a poor player despite playing that the same level and doing the same role.

I could have easily mentioned plenty of other players who suffered similar fates (like star foriegn players coming into the Premier League on big transfer and wage deals and flopping) - It doesn't mean anything when trying to compare (which was my point as you can never be sure)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He was magnificent today. If he'd been subbed off at 3-0 we'd have been even more comfortable and he'd have won MoM.

If. If. If.

If he'd been correctly booked for the trip, or for the shocking dive, you'd have been down to ten at 0-0...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You can't say for sure whether he would have had the same sort of impact and success had he stayed with us as he did with Palace as there are too many variables involved to ever be sure.

Nothing is certain but the chances are that he would have done much better than CMS, you make it sound like it was a bit hit and miss ignoring the fact that most of the other players who came up from League One side acquitted themselves well in the Championship and he was one of our class players in League One. I don't get why anybody would question that he would PROBABLY have done very well for us unless they just like arguing. Of course there is no guarantee, there isn't about any player in the world. He proved he was good enough for the Championship and he doesn't appear to be too shabby in the Premier League, which is light years ahead of where we are.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
If. If. If.

If he'd been correctly booked for the trip, or for the shocking dive, you'd have been down to ten at 0-0...

But he wasn't, and we won another 3 points away from home, meaning that we're nearly safe in the Premier League again.

How's your season going? :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here