Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Originally Posted by Dr. Notthenineo'clocknews View Post
The Allen Arms

Seconded.
The Lewes Rd Inn.
The Ship.

What is this - the time machine pub World Cup? What about The White Admiral - it was on Only Fools and Horses, you know

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Victory used to be good. It's dogshit now.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Constant Service - surprised it's not been mentioned yet. Bit of a schlep, but a Harvey's pub with good atmosphere and food

Not a bad shout. Something there for everyone - Harvey's pub, football, reasonable beer garden and people that like their vinyl music would be pleased to know they have a vinyl collection behind the bar.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Amazed it took to the fourth page: The Mitre is streets ahead of any other pub in Brighton. Proper local boozer, beautifully kept beer (and not expensive), friendly bar staff, no load music, plenty of seats - everything you'd want from a pub really

And while we're in the neighbourhood, my missus would vote for the scran at The World's End. Not so good for veggies but does serve a decent pint
Disagree. The Mitre is so close to being perfect but ive been four times and twice the beer has been undrinkable. Think they keep it for too long.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I used to work across the road from the Mitre and did pop in there a couple of times. Speak as you find and all that, but I found it a rather unwelcoming pub which I wouldn't want to visit again in a hurry. The London Road/Level area seems to be lacking in decent boozers overall, to be honest.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What is this - the time machine pub World Cup? What about The White Admiral - it was on Only Fools and Horses, you know

I was feeling left out as i havn't lived in Brighton since 1998, but the time machine pub World Cup would be a brilliant idea.
Didn't know about the White Admiral, but i know the Peckam Spring was filmed on the allotments at the end of Nesbitt Rd.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Disagree. The Mitre is so close to being perfect but ive been four times and twice the beer has been undrinkable. Think they keep it for too long.

Strange. I've been in there many times and it's always been spot-on for me

I used to work across the road from the Mitre and did pop in there a couple of times. Speak as you find and all that, but I found it a rather unwelcoming pub which I wouldn't want to visit again in a hurry. The London Road/Level area seems to be lacking in decent boozers overall, to be honest.

As I said, that's not been my experience.
The London Rd/Level area isn't that bad. Obiously the Branch is a shocker and the Hare and Hounds is a sad place these days but The Mitre, World's End and Rose Hill are all decent boozers. Caroline of Brunswick is a good place - the food is meant to be excellent and even The Bat and Ball has its good points - ie you know what you're getting. Never been in The Hobgoblin, The Druids or Circus Circus so can't comment on these but there are worse areas in town

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Evening Star
Great Eastern
Prince Albert
Heart and Hand

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think the draw should be 'seeded' - the pubs which get the most nominations should be put in separate groups!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Heart and hand
The Hollingbury. Good pub for the alcoholic.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I think The Great Eastern and The Wagon and Horses are worthy of consideration as I like drinking Scotch.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think The Great Eastern and The Wagon and Horses are worthy of consideration as I like drinking Scotch.

Forgot The Great Eastern - that's an excellent pub - and not just for the whisky drinker. Always seem to be playing good music in there too

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Ignore me - slightly Shoreham obssessed.

........and I'll withdraw my second for the "Brighton - Duke Of Wellington", always hated the place after a bunch of "fans" abused Mr Patel from the Spar opposite the pub!

Hardly the managements fault....they handed out free bottles of champagne when we won back to back titles, I drank 3 before Fatboys (& Elvis's) sensational gig at The Dome, happy days

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
I'd like to put forward The Shakespeare down the hill from the dials. Superb pub.

Yes agree with this, really good atmosphere. Talking to an Aussie in there and he said I just wish I could wrap this place up and take it home with me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here