Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get your nominations in for the BRIGHTON PUB WORLD CUP

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Just full to overflowing with Brighton's most pretentious a-holes discussing computer programming and comparing their crumb catcher beards while their girlfriends with no tits loll about leaning on things. Ghastly.

And everyone banging on about their 'outside inside' thing like it's some sort of secret paradise garden of Eden that you can smoke in.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
And everyone banging on about their 'outside inside' thing like it's some sort of secret paradise garden of Eden that you can smoke in.

Quite, it's a couple of bench seats at the top and downstairs they have kindly placed one barrel for the 900 hipsters that go there every Friday. And they never seem to serve from the outside bar/hatch thing. Good Companions or The Battle on a summer's day, that's where cool kids go.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Has anyone read "Brighton's Best Pubs"?

Their top ten are:-

1. The Basketmakers
2. The Open House
3. The Hop Poles
4. The Pub With No Name
5. The Dragon
6. Sidewinder
7. Regency
8. Prestonville Arms
9. Walmer
10. The Wellington

All of those probably need to be entered into any NSC contest.

The Open House??? That pub is staffed by self absorbed wankers and since it got a theatre upstairs it's full of Brighton's Am Dram wankers and the back garden, one you get passed the conservatory bit with the manky couch, is full of wankers with toddlers. Absolute slophole.

The Sidewinder has a very weird vibe to it. Never had a good night in there.

The Dragon is now a coffeeshop called Necot co run by just about the fattest man I have ever seen still able to walk.

The Hop Poles has gone proper downhill and any pub that sells sweets from jars behind the bar should be closed down until they have removed all evidence of Cola cubes or other such bum****ery.

Pub with no name? Pub with No atmosphere.

The rest are alright but hardly Brighton's best. Not by a long ways.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Constant Service - surprised it's not been mentioned yet. Bit of a schlep, but a Harvey's pub with good atmosphere and food

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Constant Service - surprised it's not been mentioned yet. Bit of a schlep, but a Harvey's pub with good atmosphere and food

That place still run by coke and pill heads and populated with same? Used to be great in there 10 years back. Last time I was in there about 3 years ago was a really odd druggy vibe in there.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The Open House??? That pub is staffed by self absorbed wankers and since it got a theatre upstairs it's full of Brighton's Am Dram wankers and the back garden, one you get passed the conservatory bit with the manky couch, is full of wankers with toddlers. Absolute slophole.

The Sidewinder has a very weird vibe to it. Never had a good night in there.

The Dragon is now a coffeeshop called Necot co run by just about the fattest man I have ever seen still able to walk.

The Hop Poles has gone proper downhill

Pub with no name? Pub with No atmosphere.

The rest are alright but hardly Brighton's best. Not by a long ways.

Actually the Pub with No Name is now the Southover. Its been completely refurbed and sells itself as something of a stylish craft beer bar now. I actually quite like it, however it does show the age of that list. As you say, the Dragon has been a coffee shop for a fair while now and prior to that the building just lay empty for several years.

As for the Sidewinder, I don't mind it but it's another place that blurs the boundary between pub and bar. Too big and atmosphere-lacking to be a cosy local pub but too dank and out of the way to be a cool and trendy bar. I actually think the nearby Black Dove does a much better job of being a genuinely swinging late night hot spot.

Last edited:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That place still run by coke and pill heads and populated with same? Used to be great in there 10 years back. Last time I was in there about 3 years ago was a really odd druggy vibe in there.

Spot on. I actually visited it for the first time a few weeks back, doing a little Hanover crawl, and it was the most disappointing of all the pubs around there. A very weird atmosphere that thoroughly put me off ever returning

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This World Cup is gonna be good I think. There are already people (mainly Nibble) getting irate about some of the pubs mentioned.

Nibble, I should mention that I have almost entirely agreed with your opinions though. Except the Good Companions, the garden is OK but on on a Friday night that place is chock full of bell ends and they play some absolutely dreadful music at ludicrous volumes (for a pub).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Actually the Pub with No Name is now the Southover. Its been completely refurbed and sells itself as something of a stylish craft beer bar now. I actually quite like it, however it does show the age of that list. As you say, the Dragon has been a coffee shop for a fair while now and prior to that the building just lay empty for several years.

Ah, The Southover, course. Not been there for about 3 years. It was always empty and your footsteps echoed as you walked along. They had that really manky, dingy outside area with overflowing bins and an open drain. Someone needed to do summat with it.

In fact I find the much lauded Southover pub trail wholly disappointing these past few years save for The Napier.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This World Cup is gonna be good I think. There are already people (mainly Nibble) getting irate about some of the pubs mentioned.

Nibble, I should mention that I have almost entirely agreed with your opinions though. Except the Good Companions, the garden is OK but on on a Friday night that place is chock full of bell ends and they play some absolutely dreadful music at ludicrous volumes (for a pub).

I believe you. You know I've never sat indoors since it's been re-done. It's a summer pub only for Nibble cos I love the garden.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

And was a dreadful pub before it closed down. Most of the rest of that list have some merit, but the Dragon, i don't think so.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
And was a dreadful pub before it closed down. Most of the rest of that list have some merit, but the Dragon, i don't think so.

I only ever went in there once or twice cos had couple of mates that worked in there. I only know anything about the building now because I lived opposite it for a while.

I left Brighton about 6 months gone now and hardly go into any pubs near where I am. The nearest decent one is too far to walk to be a local. But I digress. I get back to Brighton often and always make a point of going to The Farm and The Battle.

Sometimes some ******** friend of mine will hold a birthday at The Open House or Circus bloody Circus but mainly I stick to real pubs with real people in them. Haven't been drinking in a wetherspoons or owt similar for eons.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Spot on. I actually visited it for the first time a few weeks back, doing a little Hanover crawl, and it was the most disappointing of all the pubs around there. A very weird atmosphere that thoroughly put me off ever returning

Have to admit it's been a while since I've frequented it. If it's deteriorated that much tis a shame as it used to be a good place for a Sunday lunch

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Yep, always full of cokeheads drinking their hangover away bereft of spacial awareness. Shame, it used to be nice back in the day.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yep, always full of cokeheads drinking their hangover away bereft of spacial awareness. Shame, it used to be nice back in the day.

It did. Guy called Al and his bird used to run it, nice folks. Think they built that back bit with big BBQ. That was good back then. Shithole now full of plastic gangsters and fat druggies that stand around the bar and they are usually the only people in there.

About 5 odd years ago a weird set of people started running those pubs as you go up Southover and they bought a bunch of their odd mates with them. They are like nomads wondering around between bars every few months and colonising it until someone gets sacked or whatnot and they all move on to another one up there. They trashed what was a nice and interesting part of town.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Has anyone read "Brighton's Best Pubs"?

Their top ten are:-

1. The Basketmakers
2. The Open House
3. The Hop Poles
4. The Pub With No Name
5. The Dragon
6. Sidewinder
7. Regency
8. Prestonville Arms
9. Walmer
10. The Wellington

All of those probably need to be entered into any NSC contest.

Any list that names The Open House as one of Brighton's best pubs has absolutely no credibility.

Great contender for the worst pub in town: staffed by complete tossers who spend most of their time looking disdainfully at customers. Abysmal service, abysmal beer and abysmal clientele. Don't know all the pubs on that list but if they're like The Open House, they're well avoided

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Any list that names The Open House as one of Brighton's best pubs has absolutely no credibility.

Great contender for the worst pub in town: staffed by complete tossers who spend most of their time looking disdainfully at customers. Abysmal service, abysmal beer and abysmal clientele. Don't know all the pubs on that list but if they're like The Open House, they're well avoided

Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here