Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Commentators on BBC Olympics

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thorpe is as camp as a row of tents.
Ian Thorpe lived with a young South American fella for a while and whilst he claims not to be gay is as camp as a row of tents.

As camp as a row of pink tents is the phrase, Shirley?

It's no fact about Foster & Jackson, but the story has been around for years. Neither is married, not that that means anything. Same with Thorpe: lives with a bloke and was pictured having a jolly old time on holiday with him a while ago, but has always stated- as seems entirely fair- that his sexuality is his own business.

I think I have pretty good gaydar, that said, and I would put a hefty sum on all of them being gay, along with at least one member of the British diving team (never mind the already-out Australian diver).

And Claire Balding is openly in a civil partnership with her lady. I think she's great as a sports presenter, and she is clearly in the job because she knows her stuff and is a good presenter. As opposed to other females in the same business who only get the jobs because they're either pretty, or their dads played football at a high level (the entire SkySports female contingent) or both. If you're a bloke, you can be ugly as sin and stick in a presenting job for years (Chiles, Rosenthal, and away from sport, the likes of Eamonn Holmes and Bruce Forsyth), whereas females only tend to get jobs if they're deemed to be attractive and young enough, and are binned as soon as they're deemed too old or unattractive. So all power to Claire.

Hard to disagree with any of this, though my gaydar (also usually pretty reliable) hadn't picked up on Mark Foster - I hadn't heard any of the "relationship with Colin Jackson" rumours either.

How anyone could fail to pick up on Ian Thorpe's campness is beyond me! Though this does not, of course, guarantee that he's gay.

Claire Balding has been the pick of the presenters for me too - she clearly does her research, seems to be genuinely amusing at times and actually seems to click with whoever she's interviewing, rather than parroting out a load of inane questions... I couldn't give a hoot that she's Lesbanian or less blessed in the looks department - give me her over Adrian Chiles, Colin (FFS) Murray, Matt Smith etc ANYDAY.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
On a side note....... the women's hockey team :whistle:

Hockey girls were absolute go-ers back in my uni days. They did get friendly with each other too, but that never stopped them with the lads! :kiss:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
pompodoms

I'm calling them that from now on, much better.

And who gives two shits whether they're gay or straight. Thorpe, Balding and Foster are among the most inciteful commentators / pundits on TV and put the inane, cliched and predictable football pundits to shame.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yep, it never fails to amaze me how much Gary Lineker gets paid by the BBC for being an extremely mediocre presenter. His only saving grace is that he's fractionally less wooden than when he first started out, but he still lacks any kind of natural flair or instinct for the job and is painfully scripted at all times.

Even his matey 19th hole "banter" with golf chums Hansen & Lawro is cringeworthy. But somehow he's one of the BBC's highest paid stars. They do have a bad habit of ranking their presenters by their previous sporting status rather than their actual current ability. Roll on Michael Johnson with the athletics for some decent insight at last.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Roll on Michael Johnson with the athletics for some decent insight at last.

Hope Michael Johnson & Clare Balding are the main presenters for the athletics, would be excellent together. Also hope BBC have completely given up on Sally Gunnell doing track side interviews, truly awful.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yep, it never fails to amaze me how much Gary Lineker gets paid by the BBC for being an extremely mediocre presenter. His only saving grace is that he's fractionally less wooden than when he first started out, but he still lacks any kind of natural flair or instinct for the job and is painfully scripted at all times.

Even his matey 19th hole "banter" with golf chums Hansen & Lawro is cringeworthy. But somehow he's one of the BBC's highest paid stars. They do have a bad habit of ranking their presenters by their previous sporting status rather than their actual current ability. Roll on Michael Johnson with the athletics for some decent insight at last.

I've always assumed it's because he appeals (I guess) to middle age, middle class women who know nothing about sport. Nicely bland not to offend anyone.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Lineker, Hansen and Lawro are lazy, very average presenters/pundits. Linekers interviews with Wiggins and the women rowers last night were very poor.

I have also really enjoyed Balding, Thorpe and Foster. Insightful and entertaining. I have also been really touched by how much of a close team the swimmers seem when they have been interviewed. They genuinely seem to take as much pleasure from their team mates success as their own.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Lineker, Hansen and Lawro are lazy, very average presenters/pundits. Linekers interviews with Wiggins and the women rowers last night were very poor.

I have also really enjoyed Balding, Thorpe and Foster. Insightful and entertaining. I have also been really touched by how much of a close team the swimmers seem when they have been interviewed. They genuinely seem to take as much pleasure from their team mates success as their own.

But how many of them are GAY?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Hockey girls were absolute go-ers back in my uni days. They did get friendly with each other too, but that never stopped them with the lads! :kiss:

This. Marjon's girls hockey team were just.....amazing!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here