Gay Commentators on BBC Olympics

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ian Thorpe is the Garth Crooks of Swimming punditry.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I don't understand why any gay types would get involved in swimming. Lithe, ripped, shaven haired young men with amazing stamina - who spend much of their day in wet Budgie Smugglers. I mean, what's for them to like?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Did someone mention Colin Murray....? Had the misfortune to spend 2 hours in the car with R5Live this afternoon, and, despite the excitement of the actual sport, almost had to turn off. Murray must be the most irritating presenter ever to have "graced" sports radio. The guy seems to be in perpetual awe of his own so-called brilliance.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Nail on head Edna. Clearly he and Balding etc are given the same briefing pack. The difference being that Logan, Humphrey and Balding have read it, understood it and then use the 'facts' they've learnt by subtley using them in to the conversation so that the viewer feels informed and it aids the interview by drawing comments and feedback from the guest.

Then we get the Lineker style where 'clunk' there goes another fact DROPPED painfully and out of context into the monologue he is forcing down our throats. He comes across as the pub quiz big head who goes round the office challenging colleagues to test him on facts.

Balding is not only well informed she has wit and an inate ability to entertain which, like it or not, is a core skill for the link man in modern day sport coverage. Balding has, for me, been the stand-out studio performer - a real coup for the beeb.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Eyyyye! Full on lesbian shows on a Wednesday night up The SUB! Filth pots! The woman's Rugby Team weren't much better either...!!

Don't you knock my girls in the Rugby team!!!!!! Good as gold - but butcher than us men!!!!!! When were you there? It wasn't the Sub in my day (as I recall we had the Bulldog, but we're talking 2001 ish!!!)

nice to find a fellow Janner on here!!!!!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
With regards to the Thorpedo, I think it could be the Australian accent? You know, that thing they do when every sentence is a question? I think that adds a high note to the end of everything they say? Which could be confused with how a stereotypical homosexual speaks?

Just a theory?

James?

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Did someone mention Colin Murray....? Had the misfortune to spend 2 hours in the car with R5Live this afternoon, and, despite the excitement of the actual sport, almost had to turn off. Murray must be the most irritating presenter ever to have "graced" sports radio. The guy seems to be in perpetual awe of his own so-called brilliance.

Well said. And on a weekend in the season he does everything. I can only think the BBC like the fact he has a regional accent.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I was captain of my uni hockey team and went on 3 mixed tours to Amsterdam so yes met alot of hockey players from many teams and even countries. GREAT fun..... that is all.

Also Thorpe is the campest person I have seen / met in a looooooong time....... obviously doesn't have to mean anything at all!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well said. And on a weekend in the season he does everything. I can only think the BBC like the fact he has a regional accent.

A proper cringe was his "interview" with Stella McCartney. Just very ham-fisted attempts at flirting. "LIKE ME" he screamed.

Yep, add me to the "Colin Murray is a tiresome wanker" and "Lineker is a cringey bland idiot" camp. As a general rule, some of the commentary has put the football pundits to shame.

How much longer do we have to put up with the pricks on the MOTD sofa? I think it was something [MENTION=47]Tooting Gull[/MENTION] said at the last world cup that said it all for me. When Alan Shearer was commenting on a minnow, he said "of course we don't know much about Honduras" or some such. To which you felt like kicking in your TV set and shouting "that's because you and your clique have been out playing golf on a jolly instead of doing your job and doing some RESEARCH you dickhead"

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
With regards to the Thorpedo, I think it could be the Australian accent? You know, that thing they do when every sentence is a question? I think that adds a high note to the end of everything they say? Which could be confused with how a stereotypical homosexual speaks?

Just a theory?

James?

He is obviously VERY camp but I agree about the aussie accent emphasising it.

My GF's brother moved to Aus about 4 years ago and his new TWANG coupled with his BODYBUILDING has made him sound/look PROPPA CAMP

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Balding is not only well informed she has wit and an inate ability to entertain which, like it or not, is a core skill for the link man in modern day sport coverage. Balding has, for me, been the stand-out studio performer - a real coup for the beeb.

Totally agree - I'm not one for presenters but I think she has been the most watchable and most informed of all our presenters

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports